View Poll Results: Did you unlock your bootloader and thereby lose your U.S. warranty?
Yes - I couldn't live without root! 7 53.85%
No - the warranty is more important than unlocking 1 7.69%
I haven't decided yet - maybe I will later 5 38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply

[Q] Poll: Did you request an unlock code for your Moto G or keep your U.S. warranty?

OP yaconsult

21st July 2014, 05:49 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
38 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
More
In the U.S. the Motorola warranty coverage ends when you request an unlock code.

I have rooted a couple of previous phones, but in those cases there were exploits available to unlock the bootloaders on those phones so it did not affect the warranty status.

I guess this is a smart way for Motorola to do it - allowing people to easily unlock their bootloaders takes away most of the incentive for finding an exploit.

Still, if the phone develops a hardware problem that exists even after returning the phone to stock - shouldn't that still be covered by the warranty? I guess from Motorola's point of view, the user who unlocked the phone may have messed it up and Motorola shouldn't be responsible.

I bought my phone using a credit card that doubles my warranty up to an extra year so, in theory, I have two years of warranty. I suspect that the majority of phone failures are due to dropping the phone which would never be covered under warranty anyway. Square Trade insurance backs this up, at least for insured phones: "We next drilled down into the two main reported causes of accidents, drops and spills. Unsurprisingly, drops are responsible for most accidents 77% to be precise"

I have seen threads where people sent money to a "Chinese middleman" in order to get an unlock code but I wonder - how do they know that the guy isn't just requesting the unlock codes from Motorola and violating their warranties at the same time? They wouldn't know unless they made a warranty claim, would they? Is there a way people can check on the Motorola site?

The stock experience on the Moto G is very good as are the updates - I currently have 4.4.3 and am hoping for 4.4.4 soon. And it seems to have been reported that we will even get android L when it comes out. From my forum reading, I get the impression that most people unlock and root their Moto G to be able to run xposed and make small tweaks to their phone. Which did you choose - warranty or root?
21st July 2014, 06:07 PM   |  #2  
NWKENT's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 489
 
1,115 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaconsult

In the U.S. the Motorola warranty coverage ends when you request an unlock code.

I have rooted a couple of previous phones, but in those cases there were exploits available to unlock the bootloaders on those phones so it did not affect the warranty status.

I guess this is a smart way for Motorola to do it - allowing people to easily unlock their bootloaders takes away most of the incentive for finding an exploit.

Still, if the phone develops a hardware problem that exists even after returning the phone to stock - shouldn't that still be covered by the warranty? I guess from Motorola's point of view, the user who unlocked the phone may have messed it up and Motorola shouldn't be responsible.

I bought my phone using a credit card that doubles my warranty up to an extra year so, in theory, I have two years of warranty. I suspect that the majority of phone failures are due to dropping the phone which would never be covered under warranty anyway. Square Trade insurance backs this up, at least for insured phones: "We next drilled down into the two main reported causes of accidents, drops and spills. Unsurprisingly, drops are responsible for most accidents 77% to be precise"

I have seen threads where people sent money to a "Chinese middleman" in order to get an unlock code but I wonder - how do they know that the guy isn't just requesting the unlock codes from Motorola and violating their warranties at the same time? They wouldn't know unless they made a warranty claim, would they? Is there a way people can check on the Motorola site?

The stock experience on the Moto G is very good as are the updates - I currently have 4.4.3 and am hoping for 4.4.4 soon. And it seems to have been reported that we will even get android L when it comes out. From my forum reading, I get the impression that most people unlock and root their Moto G to be able to run xposed and make small tweaks to their phone. Which did you choose - warranty or root?

Sir..you may also mention, that once the bootloader is unlocked, there is a permanent code written to the bootloader..and warranty is voided with this method..if one is to "relock" the device..this permanent code remains..

And it probably is possible for Motorola to trace an unlocked device with the IMEI..

Simply put..if one is concerned about warranty..don't unlock until warranty has expired..otherwise..unlock and void the warranty..

To unlock the bootloader of a Developer Edition does NOT void the warranty..

Sent from my:
4.4.4_21.11.21 (Unlocked)
XT1080M Droid Maxx #2
http://waynekent.com/page6.html
"Praise Jah" YOU people.!
21st July 2014, 07:13 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
38 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWKENT

Sir..you may also mention, that once the bootloader is unlocked, there is a permanent code written to the bootloader..and warranty is voided with this method..if one is to "relock" the device..this permanent code remains..

And it probably is possible for Motorola to trace an unlocked device with the IMEI..

Simply put..if one is concerned about warranty..don't unlock until warranty has expired..otherwise..unlock and void the warranty..

To unlock the bootloader of a Developer Edition does NOT void the warranty..

Thank you for the clarification. I guess the people who are paying the "Chinese middleman" may still be screwed even if they return the phone to stock and try to get warranty service. And, as I said, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the guy was just doing a free unlock via motorola and charging people for it. Yet, this guy claims that he got a working unlock code for a verizon moto g from him for $45: http://swappa.com/listing/TND932/moto-g-verizon But I agree with you that this method would not preserve the warranty. And, clearly, unlocking your bootloader via motorola will mark the phone's unique identifier as being out of warranty. But not if you're lucky enough to live in Europe as I guess they get better legal rights on warranty than we do!

Unfortunately, there does not yet seem to be a Developer Edition of the Moto G LTE model.

Hence, my survey - how many people chose to give up their warranty in return for root on their Moto G?
21st July 2014, 10:09 PM   |  #4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaconsult

Hence, my survey - how many people chose to give up their warranty in return for root on their Moto G?

For the moment I've chosen to keep my warranty even if I really want the root for my Moto G LTE.

I just hope that in a few weeks / months there will be a way to root the phone without unlock the bootloader.
15th October 2014, 07:26 PM   |  #5  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
38 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
More
Well, I reached the point where I decided to unlock my bootloader and root my phone. The deciding factor for doing so was the too aggressive minfree memory setting after the 4.4.4 update. You notice that when you try switching between a couple of applications, like browser and navigation, that it has killed the other app and restarts it when you switch back to it. Once you have root, you can fix this by adjusting minfree: http://m.androidcentral.com/fine-tun...-multi-tasking

I also wanted to try out xposed and gravitybox which adds many very nice customization options. It works very nicely and I'm trying out some other xposed modules.

So I ended up not unlocking my bootloader right away, but waited a few months to make sure that the phone had no hardware issues. For me, it was worth the tradeoff to unlock it after that as I felt that the odds of having phone problems that would be covered under the warranty were quite slim. Minfree manager and xposed/gravitybox make the Moto G a much nicer phone for me.
16th October 2014, 02:15 AM   |  #6  
alex_is_the_1's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 134
 
728 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
I never had Motorola's warranty as the brand new g I got already had its boot loader unlocked as well as twrp custom recovery which didn't work. Had to root it then use flashify to get a working recovery. When asked what I was supposed to do about my non working recovery they didn't have anything to say.

Sent from my GT-I9070
16th October 2014, 12:51 PM   |  #7  
BBobby's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 17
 
80 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
I prefer unlocked boot loader and voided warranty. Warranty rules are always so specific and many great areas don't cover repairs anyway. Apart from x posed and all, I am such an addict I flashing ROMs and all, I wouldn't want it any other way. I would be more reluctant on a $900 Samsung or Sony, but if the moto G fails, its much cheaper. I can still get a moto g from cricket for $99 or $129 and a $50 rebate deal is still active

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
root, unlock, warranty
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Moto G Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank