FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[RC-FAQ]>> Frequently Asked Questions for Motorola Moto 4G/LTE [Updated: 2015/11/13]

3,227 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,237

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
25th October 2015, 11:02 AM |#151  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 54

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmutant

i've heard people that needed (on Falcon at least) to first update to a Stock optimized ROM (like did @lost101 ) before succeeding the flashing of any customs

you are right, the term "bootlooping" is incorrect as it doesn't really loop but simply never complete the first boot... my fault
and yes holding power button was what i was talking about

Okay I've trying other things and got errors I could Google!

I tried the XT1039_Retail_EU_51_Untouched_Stagefright_Patched. zip from the thread.
Something happened which made no sense to me, it would pass the MD5 check but not the zip verification. I thought I'd give it a go without that verification to see what would happen. It failed, which I expected but it gave me an error message.

"symlink: no of symlinks failed = 1"

So Googling that I came across this post, the follow up reply indicates that the partition sizes are incorrect but that is for falcon.

I decided to restart recovery so I could get a clean log of the errors.
So I did the zip verification failed part, then went straight back to it to uncheck zip verification and record that error too. Only 'trouble' is it didn't error and has now booted up.

I'll finish setting it up and then let you know what happens, I'm more confused now than I was before and suspect you'll feel the same way!
Thanks for the replies @matmutant.

Edit.
Well it booted up, restored the apps via the setup wizard and seems to be working fine. I have had a play store error pop up a couple of times though.
As it isn't a fully patched Stagefright update I'm going to try some custom ROM now to see if they work.
I still don't understand how it worked when I'd tried this already and was just trying to get a log file.

Edit 2.
Well it will flash custom ROM now, I've put Slim on it and it seems to work fine.
I wish I knew what I managed to do differently to make it work, that might save someone else having a similar problem in the future.
Last edited by Cluey; 25th October 2015 at 01:01 PM.

30th October 2015, 06:42 PM |#152  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Is flashing radio firmware required ?
Hi,
I have installed the stock ROM for peregrine device from Stock Motorola 4G Lollipop ROM Collection page, and everything is working fine. Really great stuff !

Then trying to install the radio firmware, I get the known error "Error executing updater binary in zip". It is said I should TWRP > Wipe > Format/data to fix the Recovery bug, thus erasing internal storage.

As my phone is working fine, and because I would not like to lose some data, is it really *required* to update the radio firmware because of Lollipop version ?

Thank you.
31st October 2015, 12:38 AM |#153  
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,472

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pled

Then trying to install the radio firmware, I get the known error "Error executing updater binary in zip".

The important error message is *before* that line.
31st October 2015, 04:08 PM |#154  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by _that

The important error message is *before* that line.

Thank you, the full error is :
Erasing modemst1 ...
assert failed : format("raw", "EMMC", "modemst1", "0", "/modemst1")
E: Error executing updater binary in zip '/sdcard/0/TWRP_XT1039_Retail_EU_5.1_Radio.zip'
Error flashing zip '/sdcard/0/TWRP_XT1"9_Retail_EU_5.1_Radio.zip'
Updating partition details...
... done

This error is mentionned in the bug list of that Stock ROM as follow (here):

When flashing, I get the following: "E:Error executing updater binary in zip"
This is a custom recovery bug. Try restarting recovery and flashing again. Alternatively you may need to:
TWRP > Wipe > Format Data > Yes
Note: This will delete anything on internal storage - photos, music, videos etc.

So my question : if the phone works fine without that radio firmware, should I still try other ways to install it (like fastboot commands) for some reasons ?
31st October 2015, 05:24 PM |#155  
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,472

More
Quote:

assert failed : format("raw", "EMMC", "modemst1", "0", "/modemst1")

That means that for some reason formatting of the modemst1 partition failed.

Quote:

This error is mentionned in the bug list of that Stock ROM as follow (here):

When flashing, I get the following: "E:Error executing updater binary in zip"
This is a custom recovery bug. Try restarting recovery and flashing again. Alternatively you may need to:
TWRP > Wipe > Format Data > Yes
Note: This will delete anything on internal storage - photos, music, videos etc.

Formatting /data is completely unrelated to erasing modemst1. I don't understand how this can be a custom recovery bug, since the installation is done entirely by the update-binary inside the zip - the recovery only provides the console output here. The standard AOSP update-binary has no support for formatting a partition "raw", so this seems to be some vendor-specific extension in Motorola's update-binary.

Quote:

So my question : if the phone works fine without that radio firmware, should I still try other ways to install it (like fastboot commands) for some reasons ?

I'd say if everything works then there is no need to do anything. If you find out that you do need to install the radio firmware, and the zip continues to fail, you can use fastboot.
The Following User Says Thank You to _that For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st November 2015, 10:49 AM |#156  

More
Thank you very much for all the explanation, very detailled and useful.
5th November 2015, 02:31 AM |#157  

More
Hello, this may sound silly, but I've had this problem since I started using my MotoG. The images taken with the front camera turns out to be dark, after it is shot. I believe it is a software thing and not hardware because the image is bright in the preview and also in videos captured with the same camera. Since I use front cam only for video calls, it was okay for me. But I'll really like to know whether a fix exists, or is possible. I've tried a dozen camera apps and has flashed uncountable no of roms. The problem persists.Thanks in advance
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)