FORUMS

Index Project For XDA Device Subforums

Another ambitious project from the collaborative efforts of Recognized Contributors and Forum … more

The Atlas of XDA

A few weeks ago, we asked you “How Does Your Location Affect Your Life As A Power User?”. In the days that … more

New Snapdragons: Some Context & Contrast

It hasn’t been a good year for Qualcomm so far. Every device featuring the Snapdragon 810 … more

Google To Launch Next Gen Android One On July 14

The first gen of Android One devices to be launched in India in September 2014 were … more

[Q] Can I record videos at 60 fps on my Moto G?

2 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By kitkat444, Junior Member on 16th September 2014, 05:00 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
My Moto G can record videos at 60 fps and then play them back at 15 fps for a slow motion effect. It’s a nice feature to have, but the results are very jerky, since its only 15 fps and there isn’t any option to record videos at 60 fps, it always convert the videos to 15 fps after recording. Anyways, I just want to know if I can record my videos at 60 fps? Is there any app that can do that or any other method? Thank you.
Last edited by kitkat444; 16th September 2014 at 05:08 PM.

16th September 2014, 07:21 PM |#2  
Flag Stara Zagora
Thanks Meter: 106

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat444

My Moto G can record videos at 60 fps and then play them back at 15 fps for a slow motion effect. It’s a nice feature to have, but the results are very jerky, since its only 15 fps and there isn’t any option to record videos at 60 fps, it always convert the videos to 15 fps after recording. Anyways, I just want to know if I can record my videos at 60 fps? Is there any app that can do that or any other method? Thank you.

What makes you think that its 15fps?
The slow motion effect is caused exactly by the fact that the video is captured at 60 fps and then played back at 30fps.

If you use the video with some more advanced video player like mpchc, you can set the playback ratio to 2x and it will result in normal 30fps playback.
16th September 2014, 11:31 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
I think you missed his point.

Supposedly when capturing slowmotion video, the moto G captures at 60fps. To achieve slowmotion (half speed) video from 60fps, you'd simply halve the framerate and end up with 30fps slowmo. However, the Moto G only saves slowmo at 15fps.

This means the camera or phone is throwing away half of the frames.
17th September 2014, 12:09 AM |#4  
Flag Stara Zagora
Thanks Meter: 106

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roph

I think you missed his point.

Supposedly when capturing slowmotion video, the moto G captures at 60fps. To achieve slowmotion (half speed) video from 60fps, you'd simply halve the framerate and end up with 30fps slowmo. However, the Moto G only saves slowmo at 15fps.

This means the camera or phone is throwing away half of the frames.

I got the point very well...
I guess they are trying to get better slowmo by dividing the 60 fps captured to 4x15, which gives the result similar to shooting the video in 120fps.

That's a guess tho and best thing would be to ask moto themselves.
17th September 2014, 04:24 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveroy

What makes you think that its 15fps?
The slow motion effect is caused exactly by the fact that the video is captured at 60 fps and then played back at 30fps.

If you use the video with some more advanced video player like mpchc, you can set the playback ratio to 2x and it will result in normal 30fps playback.

I understand that, but my Moto G converts those 60 fps to 15 fps to make the video 4 times slower. What I want is, if my Moto G can record at 60 fps, there must be a way to save that footage at 60 fps and not at 15 fps. As you said, I can play my video at 2x speed, but then I'm only playing it faster to get some smoothness, the video is still saved at 15 fps. And why I want my videos to be saved at 60 fps? Because then I can edit my video in After Effects to really get some smooth slow motion.
10th April 2015, 11:44 AM |#6  

More
For easier explanation the Moto is only capable to record 60 fps. These frames are all saved, but played back at 15 fps, so the video appears in slow motion. If you wanted to have 60 fps in a slow motion effect, you'd have to record at an even higher framerate (e.g. 120/240 fps).
However, if you intend to work on the video in After Effects anyways, theres no point in saving it to 60 fps, which would only mean return the playback to 60 fps / normal time.
You can archive this easily by setting footage interpretation as 60 fps in After Effects.
After that you can slow it down again with AE's internal frame interpolation to get a smoother result
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread