ROOTING AND ONLY RUNNING XPOSED and OTA

OP OldYellowBricks

10th July 2014, 09:17 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 50

181 posts
Guys, I need some advice.
If I'm rooted and I solely depend on Xposed for tweaks (that means I don't modify system files), will my moto g be fit for OTA updates? like I read here somewhere that if you're rooted and no system files were tweaked, OTA updates won't be a problem.

Thank you so much. New XT1033 Moto G owner here running Stock 4.4.2 rom. Still on the fence when it comes to rooting tbh. Also, I haven't been able to find changelogs for the 4.4.4 update. Thank you!
10th July 2014, 10:52 AM   |  #2  
Liberec
Thanks Meter: 93

144 posts
More
@OldYellowBricks
The short answer
If you have stock recovery and have not modified any system files, you will be able to OTA without a problem. Did it myself from 4.4.2 to 4.4.3.

The long answer
Here is how updating works:
The updater has a list of files that are going to be modified by the update. It first calculates the checksum of every file that is going to be modified and compares it to the cheksum it has on a list. If there is a checksum mismatch, the update process is aborted. If all the checksums agree, the updater starts patching the files.

Now, since the updater doesnīt expect you to have xposed and supersu on your system partition, it doesnīt look for them and it does not care about them - it just patches the files on the list. Thatīs all.
The Following User Says Thank You to knizmi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th July 2014, 11:19 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 50

181 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knizmi

@OldYellowBricks
The short answer
If you have stock recovery and have not modified any system files, you will be able to OTA without a problem. Did it myself from 4.4.2 to 4.4.3.

The long answer
Here is how updating works:
The updater has a list of files that are going to be modified by the update. It first calculates the checksum of every file that is going to be modified and compares it to the cheksum it has on a list. If there is a checksum mismatch, the update process is aborted. If all the checksums agree, the updater starts patching the files.

Now, since the updater doesnīt expect you to have xposed and supersu on your system partition, it doesnīt look for them and it does not care about them - it just patches the files on the list. Thatīs all.

Okay now I get! Thank you so much. I would like to keep to stock ROM andbrun some xposed modules for stability and to be honest, I'm pretty reluctantbto flash ROMs on this dual sim phone cause support is pretty wonky from what I've read (no disrespect to the developers!)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread