Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,702 Members 45,249 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is it possible to root a locked phone?

Tip us?

zkvvoob
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Unhappy [Q] Is it possible to root a locked phone?

Hello,

A friend of mine recently bought on the Internet a Moto G which turned out to be carrier-locked. Now, I have no idea to what carrier it is locked and so I am asking you this: apart from the obvious solution which is cellunlocker.net, is it possible to root the phone, install a custom ROM such as CyanogenMod and use it with whatever carrier?

What woud you suggest for someone in our predicament?

Thank you!

liveroy
Old
Thanks Meter 68

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkvvoob View Post
Hello,

A friend of mine recently bought on the Internet a Moto G which turned out to be carrier-locked. Now, I have no idea to what carrier it is locked and so I am asking you this: apart from the obvious solution which is cellunlocker.net, is it possible to root the phone, install a custom ROM such as CyanogenMod and use it with whatever carrier?

What woud you suggest for someone in our predicament?

Thank you!
You can probably unlock the bootloader and root the phone, despite it's carrier locked. That won't remove the lock tho and you won't be able to use it on another carrier just like that.

On the other hand you can always buy an unlock code off ebay for 2 euro or so.
Mental issues lead to the use of long signatures

Care much for receiving Thanks?Bitching at the others about it doesn't help, instead better stfu and gtfo.

zkvvoob
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveroy View Post
You can probably unlock the bootloader and root the phone, despite it's carrier locked. That won't remove the lock tho and you won't be able to use it on another carrier just like that.

On the other hand you can always buy an unlock code off ebay for 2 euro or so.
Thanks, liveroy! Just a quick question as I've never had to do this, if you don't mind: does it matter that I don't know the carrier to which the phone is locked?

liveroy
Old
Thanks Meter 68

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkvvoob View Post
Thanks, liveroy! Just a quick question as I've never had to do this, if you don't mind: does it matter that I don't know the carrier to which the phone is locked?
Specifically for the Moto G, you need only the IMEI.
Mental issues lead to the use of long signatures

Care much for receiving Thanks?Bitching at the others about it doesn't help, instead better stfu and gtfo.
The Following User Says Thank You to liveroy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
carrier, locked, rooting