Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Is it possible to root a locked phone?

OP zkvvoob

1st September 2014, 09:42 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
96 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
More
Hello,

A friend of mine recently bought on the Internet a Moto G which turned out to be carrier-locked. Now, I have no idea to what carrier it is locked and so I am asking you this: apart from the obvious solution which is cellunlocker.net, is it possible to root the phone, install a custom ROM such as CyanogenMod and use it with whatever carrier?

What woud you suggest for someone in our predicament?

Thank you!
1st September 2014, 09:55 AM   |  #2  
liveroy's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Stara Zagora
Thanks Meter: 74
 
312 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2007
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkvvoob

Hello,

A friend of mine recently bought on the Internet a Moto G which turned out to be carrier-locked. Now, I have no idea to what carrier it is locked and so I am asking you this: apart from the obvious solution which is cellunlocker.net, is it possible to root the phone, install a custom ROM such as CyanogenMod and use it with whatever carrier?

What woud you suggest for someone in our predicament?

Thank you!

You can probably unlock the bootloader and root the phone, despite it's carrier locked. That won't remove the lock tho and you won't be able to use it on another carrier just like that.

On the other hand you can always buy an unlock code off ebay for 2 euro or so.
1st September 2014, 09:57 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
96 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveroy

You can probably unlock the bootloader and root the phone, despite it's carrier locked. That won't remove the lock tho and you won't be able to use it on another carrier just like that.

On the other hand you can always buy an unlock code off ebay for 2 euro or so.

Thanks, liveroy! Just a quick question as I've never had to do this, if you don't mind: does it matter that I don't know the carrier to which the phone is locked?
1st September 2014, 10:25 AM   |  #4  
liveroy's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Stara Zagora
Thanks Meter: 74
 
312 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2007
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkvvoob

Thanks, liveroy! Just a quick question as I've never had to do this, if you don't mind: does it matter that I don't know the carrier to which the phone is locked?

Specifically for the Moto G, you need only the IMEI.
The Following User Says Thank You to liveroy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
carrier, locked, rooting
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes