PSA: Capture the VZW 5.1 OTA so we can edit the 5.1 image for root with MOFO

Search This thread

shane1

Nov 22, 2010
The update has already been posted as the soak. Now a full files are needed for mofo to be tested.

Reactions: Jhall8

shane1

Nov 22, 2010
No problem. Now I think if someone who has taken the update did a system pull of 5.1 I think that'd be helpful for the developers. You might need root for that though :/ I can't quite remember

Slack3r

Feb 17, 2009
We need the FXZ in order to get the full system.img to use with mofo. Right now the OTA only patches the existing one.

Slack3r

Feb 17, 2009
Yes but our copies of MoFo won't work if you upgrade the bootloader on your device.
Yeah :(

My current plan is to flash everything except motoboot.img and gpt.bin from the new update and see if it boots in order to preserve the ability to root. I've been checking MDM (finally got it to work!) though and they haven't pushed it out yet.

JulesJam

Aug 9, 2014
Yeah :(

My current plan is to flash everything except motoboot.img and gpt.bin from the new update and see if it boots in order to preserve the ability to root.
Me too but I hope that the boot.img will flash with the 5.0 bootloader and partition table not upgraded.

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

I've been checking MDM (finally got it to work!) though and they haven't pushed it out yet.
Just be careful, because the minute MDM downloads and then uncompresses the files, it starts to install them on your device. If you disconnect your device from your computer during the download, I am pretty sure that MDM just stops.

d33dvb

Sep 30, 2007
Google Pixel 4a
Samsung Galaxy S21
The reason Im dying for root now, is that before when I had my ATT sim card, I could tether just fine, was enabled and everything, without root. As long as I didnt run a verizon sim I could tether. Now, it stops at communicating with server. I dont understand why they would now block other carriers tethering as well. This was the reason I didnt care much about root, was I figured I would be unaffected. Am I ever regretting buying a verizon device. Never again.

JulesJam

Aug 9, 2014
The reason Im dying for root now, is that before when I had my ATT sim card, I could tether just fine, was enabled and everything, without root. As long as I didnt run a verizon sim I could tether. Now, it stops at communicating with server. I dont understand why they would now block other carriers tethering as well. This was the reason I didnt care much about root, was I figured I would be unaffected. Am I ever regretting buying a verizon device. Never again.
So when you put an AT&T SIM in a Verizon Moto X 2014 running 5.1 it won't tether on AT&T? But it would tether on AT&T on 5.0 with tethering enabled? What AT&T plan are you on?

Have you tried the app HotSpot Control?

d33dvb

Sep 30, 2007
Google Pixel 4a
Samsung Galaxy S21
So when you put an AT&T SIM in a Verizon Moto X 2014 running 5.1 it won't tether on AT&T? But it would tether on AT&T on 5.0 with tethering enabled? What AT&T plan are you on?

Have you tried the app HotSpot Control?

Correct, it will not tether on other networks now. I have a Straight talk ATT sim. LTE / HSPA+ I have not tried it, but I will as long as I can without root :)

JulesJam

Aug 9, 2014
I have a Straight talk ATT sim. LTE / HSPA+ I have not tried it, but I will as long as I can without root :)
I think this is one of the issues with using Verizon devices on GSM carriers. The build.prop file is set up for Verizon, not the other carrier's system.

If the bootloader is unlocked then you can mess around with the Verizon settings.

With iPhones, Apple can control Verizon but with Androids, Verizon controls the phone manufacturers and gets them to do things Verizon's way. If you can unlock the bootloader, you can take control back. If not, then you are at the mercy of Verizon and their policies.

d33dvb

Sep 30, 2007
Google Pixel 4a
Samsung Galaxy S21
I think this is one of the issues with using Verizon devices on GSM carriers. The build.prop file is set up for Verizon, not the other carrier's system.

If the bootloader is unlocked then you can mess around with the Verizon settings.

With iPhones, Apple can control Verizon but with Androids, Verizon controls the phone manufacturers and gets them to do things Verizon's way. If you can unlock the bootloader, you can take control back. If not, then you are at the mercy of Verizon and their policies.

I did try chainfires hotspot control and still no luck. Such a bummer. Makes me want to go back to my moto g with cm12

JulesJam

Aug 9, 2014
I did try chainfires hotspot control and still no luck. Such a bummer. Makes me want to go back to my moto g with cm12
Hopefully maiko1 will be able to crack the 5.1 bootloader.

I too have learned my lesson with these locked down tight phones. I bought my Moto X 2014 on Cyber Monday but it sat unused until April when we got MoFo. I can't live w/o tethering so I will never buy another Verizon phone until a root method exists that can give me free tether. The problem is that it is getting harder and harder for the devs to find ways to do that. I really want to stick with Motorola but if there is no Dev Ed for the MX15, then I won't get it. I worry that there won't be any other options though.

Cuckoo

Sep 27, 2007
Correct, it will not tether on other networks now. I have a Straight talk ATT sim. LTE / HSPA+ I have not tried it, but I will as long as I can without root :)
I still confused. So, if I have ATT phone (locked bootloader) on T-Mobile network, will tethering be working if I update to 5.1? I am on KK 4.4.4 now and tethering works with no issues.

DJVolt214

Dec 30, 2013
Dallas, TX
Im on 5.1 and i could tether just fine! I have T-Mobile. Maybe if you disable as many Verizon apps as you can it could work? (and clear their data) That's what I did.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The update has already been posted as the soak. Now a full files are needed for mofo to be tested.
    And I was happy to have that soak file, Shane!