Think twice before unlocking...

Search This thread

nikeman513

Apr 8, 2011
Online chats have said it does not void your warranty, but when you go to

Motorola.com --> My Stuff --> View My Stuff

It says that your warranty is voided, and I'll bet Motorola wouldn't hesitate to go by that when you have an issue. Wait until there's a clear cut answer, or unless you are 100% sure this is what you want to do...

Sent from my XT1575 using XDA Free mobile app

brholt6

Oct 10, 2013
The Pure Editions don't lose their warranty, but the Style ones would...

Think of the Pure as a Developer Edition phone.

The Motorola website is now showing my Pure Edition as out of warranty...until I hear back from them about it, I'm going to have to disagree.

---------- Post added at 03:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 AM ----------

It's not voided. Confirmed by moto managers on their forums.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'll have to get on there and ask one of them why my warranty is voided...hopefully its just the website being sketchy.

Edit: I checked through the moto forums and I didn't see any thread where a forum manager said it wouldn't void the warranty. Do you have a link?

To add to this, Moto chat told me that it does void the warranty and that despite last years Pure Edition being a developer edition, this year's Pure Edition is indeed NOT considered a developer edition. So, as of now, unlocking the bootloader on this device will void the warranty.

Last edited:

Cptkirk1996

Jan 2, 2014
They do say it voids your warranty, however government laws and acts such as the act in the UK will over rule anything that they say and will have to abide the warranty still.

joshuadjohnson22

Oct 27, 2011
Atlanta
I'm not sure why this needed it's own thread. In my unlocking thread I did say it will probably void your warranty and we can warn others inside the thread. Just seems to be redundant to have 2 threads on the topic of unlocking. I will update the OP to reflect your findings.

Last edited:
Reactions: droidrage2010

nikeman513

Apr 8, 2011
I'm not sure why this needed it's own thread. In my unlocking thread I did say it will probably void your warranty and we can warn others inside the thread. Just seems to be redundant to have 2 threads on the topic of unlocking. I will update the OP to reflect your findings.

In your main thread title say it will void your warranty and confirmed... Then they can and should do that... Not make people search for it in the body...

joshuadjohnson22

Oct 27, 2011
Atlanta
In your main thread title say it will void your warranty and confirmed... Then they can and should do that... Not make people search for it in the body...

Well I don't want to make the title massive, truthfully if a user does not read everything on a thread before trying it they need to not mod their device. I put it in red and BEFORE the unlock guide. Also it says it on the motorola page, if they don't know that it will void their warranty it is their own fault. I will make the text larger so it stands out more.

joshuadjohnson22

Oct 27, 2011
Atlanta
My goodness! What is everyone's deal with voiding their warranty? What Is this the first phone you've ever unlocked? If you're on XDA, unlocking, rooting, and flashing, you know the risks. Suck it up, buttercup!

exactly, to me this is business as usual... every phone that you OEM lock say they will void your warranty but usually they will still fix hardware issues if they arise. Now saying that I have never had a motorola device so they may be different, if you want to hack you will potentially void your warranty, if you don't then just enjoy stock... it's that simple

wctaylor79

Mar 11, 2010
Just dropping here.. From chat just now

Was chatting on Moto about my shipping and asked about the bootloader. Does not void moto care. Course just in case I'm saving this chat for future as well. Just saying. Seems the concensus whith myself and others have been confirmed that warranty stays intact.

Chris: Great. Thank you for that. I have another question that is general to the Moto X Pure I wanted to check on dealing with the system and warranty. Would you be able to assist with that as well?
Kris: What kind of system warranty? is that the Moto care?
Chris: Yeah I have signed up for Moto Care. My question is with the fact that the Pure is able to be unlocked. Not just carrier unlocked, but that the boot loader is unlockable through the Moto site. Would that void the warranty through Moto Care if you were to unlock the boot loader on the phone?
Kris: No it will not Chris, Pure edition is considered ad developers edition. Even if you unlock the device using the bootloader it warranty will not be voided.

brholt6

Oct 10, 2013
Was chatting on Moto about my shipping and asked about the bootloader. Does not void moto care. Course just in case I'm saving this chat for future as well. Just saying. Seems the concensus whith myself and others have been confirmed that warranty stays intact.

Chris: Great. Thank you for that. I have another question that is general to the Moto X Pure I wanted to check on dealing with the system and warranty. Would you be able to assist with that as well?
Kris: What kind of system warranty? is that the Moto care?
Chris: Yeah I have signed up for Moto Care. My question is with the fact that the Pure is able to be unlocked. Not just carrier unlocked, but that the boot loader is unlockable through the Moto site. Would that void the warranty through Moto Care if you were to unlock the boot loader on the phone?
Kris: No it will not Chris, Pure edition is considered ad developers edition. Even if you unlock the device using the bootloader it warranty will not be voided.

Definitely save that chat. Who knows...Maybe someone else who has unlocked can let us know if theirs is voided...maybe something is just goofed up with my account.

Attachments

• 1441975742710.jpg
    1441975742710.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,537
Last edited:

Superguy

Nov 28, 2007
Baltimore
exactly, to me this is business as usual... every phone that you OEM lock say they will void your warranty but usually they will still fix hardware issues if they arise. Now saying that I have never had a motorola device so they may be different, if you want to hack you will potentially void your warranty, if you don't then just enjoy stock... it's that simple

The question is whether or not this is a dev device or not. Moto treats Dev devices differently and allows the unlocks while maintaining the warranty. Non-dev devices lose it.

So now there's conflicting info out there about which it is, with some in Moto saying it is and some saying no. Moto needs to come out with a clear cut answer.

If it's indeed a dev type device, as other Pures have been, then they need to be up front about it. If not, they need to clarify on the ordering page that it's not a dev device.

The problem comes now is that people took stock in what various Moto reps have said and unlocked it. If I was told by Moto it wouldn't void my warranty if I unlocked, only to find out it did, I'd be pretty upset. Otherwide, if I used something like Sunshine or Moto stated it would be void, then I can't expect it if I choose to unlock it.

Conflicting info from the manufacturer isn't good. It needs to define it straight up, one way or the other, so people can make a properly informed decision if they want to assume the risks and unlock.

joshuadjohnson22

Oct 27, 2011
Atlanta
The question is whether or not this is a dev device or not. Moto treats Dev devices differently and allows the unlocks while maintaining the warranty. Non-dev devices lose it.

So now there's conflicting info out there about which it is, with some in Moto saying it is and some saying no. Moto needs to come out with a clear cut answer.

If it's indeed a dev type device, as other Pures have been, then they need to be up front about it. If not, they need to clarify on the ordering page that it's not a dev device.

The problem comes now is that people took stock in what various Moto reps have said and unlocked it. If I was told by Moto it wouldn't void my warranty if I unlocked, only to find out it did, I'd be pretty upset. Otherwide, if I used something like Sunshine or Moto stated it would be void, then I can't expect it if I choose to unlock it.

Conflicting info from the manufacturer isn't good. It needs to define it straight up, one way or the other, so people can make a properly informed decision if they want to assume the risks and unlock.

Yeah, I think the problem is people are trusting Chat support. I don't care what company you are using, chat support will give you 20 different answers. I really hope they think of it as a dev device.

Reactions: kitcostantino

xDMONEYx

Sep 23, 2010
Definitely save that chat. Who knows...Maybe someone else who has unlocked can let us know if theirs is voided...maybe something is just goofed up with my account.

Maybe if you click that link that the warranty status is incorrect and say that you unlocked the bootloader and have heard it should not void the warranty, you can get some sort of official word back on whether or not the warranty is actually void. Just a thought.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My goodness! What is everyone's deal with voiding their warranty? Is this the first phone you've ever unlocked? If you're on XDA, unlocking, rooting, and flashing, you know the risks. Suck it up, buttercup!
    I posted this over on the Moto forum as well, but this page has the list of "official" developer devices. Pretty much, unless the 2015 X Pure (or Style) shows up on this page, you can assume that it's NOT classified as a dev edition and thus would be subject to warranty cancellation: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/recovery-images

I posted this on the Motorola forum.
    For the last time, they CANNOT void your hardware warranty for unlocking the bootloader no matter how many boxes they have you click.
    Federal law - Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits it.

Motorola and parent Lenovo should look at the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and also California Consumer Protection law. Unlocking the bootloader cannot be the sole purpose for a warranty denial. Unlocking the bootloader and having a button fall off are two independent events.

Trying to tie them together violates the Magnuson-Moss act. It is also not possible to have a consumer waive the protections under the act. It goes against good public policy (Ca. Civil Code). Computer, auto, appliance, etc. manufacturers can't wholesale void warranties that have no relation to the act of using a non-specified part, software, etc.

If this were the case, the mere act of using a third party charger could void the warranty if Motorola said using a third party charger voids the warranty and had one sign a form. We all know that unless the charger is the cause of the damage this isn't the case.

Now Motorola/Lenovo can deny software support if one installs non-standard software on the device. They can also deny support if one bricks their device. If a non-related hardware failure occurs, Motorola will have a hard time denying a claim for something unrelated to the bootloader unlock.

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/sta...nty-federal-trade-commission-improvements-act http://consumer.findlaw.com/consumer-transactions/what-will-void-a-warranty-.html

Real Life Examples of Warranty Limitations: Cell phone manufacturer voids warranty for jailbreaking or the equivalent to run unauthorized software. Jailbreaking or the equivalent is legal and the manufacturer must prove the jailbreak and/or unauthorized software is the cause of the hardware failure.
    I'll just tell you guys, you do not want to force them to make a black and white blanket decision on this kind of thing, because it will not go the way you want.

It's very reasonable for a manufacturer to void your warranty if you unlock and do something destructive -- bad firmware can pretty easily fry an otherwise non-defective device -- but it's also reasonable for them to at least attempt to fix something if the failure was obviously NOT caused by firmware tampering. I'd much rather have it be up to their discretion -- where they may honor the warranty if it's reasonable -- than to force them to go one way or the other regardless of the situation, because there's no way they're going to back themselves into a corner.
    i unlocked my bootloader yesterday before i even activated my phone and the moto site says my warranty expires September 2016 and i even talked to chat today to get my phone exchanged bc it has an LCD defect and had no problem getting that done, replacement order already put through
    If it's a problem with the hardware. Button busted, screen failures, etc, unlocking the bootloader will not cause those things.
    It will be hard to argue in court that unlocking the bootloader caused the phone to have a physical hardware failure.
    With an unlocked bootloader, they should not see any devices bricked, because an unlocked bootloader prevents bricking.

I'm not worried.

Argue in court? Who goes to court over $400?