Youtube 1440p Freezing Video Issue Since Marshmallow (Stock Deodexed Rooted)

Search This thread

djsynth

Dec 27, 2010
Newcastle
When playing youtube videos in 1440p for example on MKBHD Channel Latest Video of Xperia Z5 Premium the framerate drops and then the video freezes at a frame and the audio continues going.

Tried deleting and disabling all youtube based modules (Had Youtube Background Playback and Youtube Adaway Module) and rebooted and that didn't do anything.

Any ideas what could be causing this ?
Only happens when playing in 1440p
It is very easily replicated and happens everytime.

Reactions: MedfieldMike

Dahenjo

Oct 18, 2014
CT
It's been reported a number of times here and on the Moto forums that their techs monitor, that some do play correctly but many don't. So far I'm not aware of anyone running MM on MXPE that doesn't have this issue, and they all played fine on LP. There's at least one report they all play correctly on a Nexus 6 with MM, so I believe it's from something Motorola did to the firmware.

@glenroebuck - OT, but thought I was on the TDI forums for a sec! I have a 2011 JSW TDI so am waiting to hear about fixes/buybacks/etc when VW decides to let us unwitting polluters know.

Last edited:

PythonNut

Aug 26, 2015
I have a similar issue streaming over WiFi. Strangely, my friend who has a Droid Turbo 2 doesn't have the same issue.

lafester

Feb 11, 2007
Just tried 4 videos, 3 played fine on 6.0.1 stock. One did stop but it did it on 1080p as well.

paul_viado

Feb 24, 2010
the City of Sin
Just move to the MXPE from a Nexus 6 ..I can confirm I did have this problem on the Nexus 6 6.0.1 it was only happening on 1440p res vids and easy to replicate and after moving to the MXPE I haven't seen it happen yet..I'm on tmo BTW aand watch all videos on Wi-Fi

Dahenjo

Oct 18, 2014
CT
Just tried 4 videos, 3 played fine on 6.0.1 stock. One did stop but it did it on 1080p as well.

How about this one? It hasn't worked for anyone since 6.0 afaik, and couldn't find any reports of this issue on Nexus 6 or 6p forums.
COSTA RICA IN 4K 60fps (ULTRA HD)

Is a completely stock 6.0.1 for US available yet?

Edit: @paul_viado what are you running on MXPE? 5.1.1 or 6.0? Try above video and make sure it's on 1440 (can take a couple tries).

Last edited:

paul_viado

Feb 24, 2010
the City of Sin
How about this one? It hasn't worked for anyone since 6.0 afaik, and couldn't find any reports of this issue on Nexus 6 or 6p forums.

Edit: @paul_viado what are you running on MXPE? 5.1.1 or 6.0? Try above video and make sure it's on 1440 (can take a couple tries).

I'm on the latest 6.0 Feb security update on the MXPE all stock out the box no root..
You're right the video above causes the freeze but all other videos I watch 1440p works fine.
I believe 6.0 with the Feb security patch is the latest software update for the MXPE in the States

Reactions: jakesteed

Dahenjo

Oct 18, 2014
CT
I'm on the latest 6.0 Feb security update on the MXPE all stock out the box no root..
You're right the video above causes the freeze but all other videos I watch 1440p works fine.
I believe 6.0 with the Feb security patch is the latest software update for the MXPE in the States

Just wondered because lafester posted they're using stock 6.0.1 but maybe it's non-US, but still should tell us if it might be fixed now. Yeah, thought that would freeze if you're on 6.0, but it worked perfectly on 5.1.1. Some 1440p videos do play fine though, maybe half or more. You had this same problem on your Nexus 6 with 6.0.1? That's the first report on other than MXPE that I'm aware of.

paul_viado

Feb 24, 2010
the City of Sin
Just wondered because lafester posted they're using stock 6.0.1 but maybe it's non-US, but still should tell us if it might be fixed now. Yeah, thought that would freeze if you're on 6.0, but it worked perfectly on 5.1.1. Some 1440p videos do play fine though, maybe half or more. You had this same problem on your Nexus 6 with 6.0.1? That's the first report on other than MXPE that I'm aware of.

yup i was on the latest march patch 6.0.1 on the n6 no root. i experienced it on only certain 1440p vids not all..then i moved over to the mxpe about a month ago and have not experienced it yet, up until that vid you linked.

Reactions: Dahenjo

lafester

Feb 11, 2007
That one did stop and played fine on 1080p.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

I'm running the 1572 stock 6.0.1 posted in General last night.

Reactions: Dahenjo

Dahenjo

Oct 18, 2014
CT

Yeah, saw your posts there so figured it was that version. Doesn't seem that 6.0.1 has fixed this, though.

I wish others on 1440p phones would try that video to see if it's just on MXPE (ie from Motorola tweaking Google's vanilla firmware) or a wider issue in 6.x itself, about which I've read there were some significant changes to the graphics sub-system.

Feb 23, 2016
Just tried mkbhd's latest video of the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge and it played fine at 1440p. A couple weeks ago I did try another video and it froze but I have updated to the latest Truepure rom and YouTube seems to be working fine now.

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

Okay, I spoke to soon. Video ended up stuttering and freezing. Although, I played two trailers back to back in 1440p and didn't have a problem so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Dahenjo

Oct 18, 2014
CT
Yeah, that Samsung edge review freezes for me at 1440p. You'll find others that do play correctly but it's hit or miss. The Costa Rica 4K video linked in this thread always freezes on MXPE w/6.x, but these all played fine in Lollipop.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    When playing youtube videos in 1440p for example on MKBHD Channel Latest Video of Xperia Z5 Premium the framerate drops and then the video freezes at a frame and the audio continues going.

Tried deleting and disabling all youtube based modules (Had Youtube Background Playback and Youtube Adaway Module) and rebooted and that didn't do anything.

Any ideas what could be causing this ?
    Only happens when playing in 1440p
    It is very easily replicated and happens everytime.

yup i was on the latest march patch 6.0.1 on the n6 no root. i experienced it on only certain 1440p vids not all..then i moved over to the mxpe about a month ago and have not experienced it yet, up until that vid you linked.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------