Slim case comparison (with poorly shot video)
An acquaintance of mine asked me to do this before returning a case or two. I decided to also post it here because I see a lot of "searching" for that ideal slim case for the Moto X, and also because I'm giving you guys another chance to make fun of me
I compared three cases and mentioned several others.
For those who don't want to suffer through my Grammy award performance on Youtube, here's the key parts.
Power Support Air Jacket Grip
- Looks beautiful in online redners, not so much in person. Has a harsh transition from the clear and rounded plastic to the cheap-feeling matte TPU on the sides and front. Poor build quality as it was coming apart at two seams upon purchase. Top mic cutout is off and obscures the phone's mic. Buttons are mushy, and there's an apparent unintentional lip by the power button which is annoying for both looks and functionality. On the plus side, it shows off your phone's back, comes in a variety of bumper colors, and allows access to the Motorola dimple. I recommend that users avoid this unless they REALLY want something designed for Motomaker variants.
Supcase by Brillotech
- The only real downside is that sharp edging due to the way it was machine cut. It makes the grip uncomfortable. It has a very UAG-type look to it at a fraction of the price. The buttons are perfect and the cutouts are fantastic. Round out those edges and it would be perfect.
Verizon High Gloss Silicone (TPU) Case
- Great feel in the hands due to rounded corners and consistent material. Downsides are the loss of the dimple and issues with the button response while breaking in the case for the first few hours. A solid purchase, but don't be fooled by the Verizon renders at the above link. The Moto logo and Verizon logo are showing through the case from the phone. There are no logos on the case and it looks far better in person than in this photo (the opposite of the Air Jacket Grip).
Diztronic TPU Cases
- These are examples of affordable TPU cases for the Moto X. Seems that the black is matte, while the clear, clear glitter, and pink are high gloss. Wish they'd make a black high gloss
Grip Shell for Moto G
- Provided as an example of the type of cases I'm into these days, consisting of a rubberized TPU bumper with a plastic back.
Samsung Protective Cover Plus for Galaxy S 4
- Another example, same as the Moto G case above.
SGP Ultra Capsule
- SGP stopped making these, but this was my favorite all-TPU case for any device. Used it for nearly 2 years on my S2.
Verizon High Gloss Silicone Case for HTC Droid Incredible
- Another example of an all-TPU case. Verizon sells these for many devices. They'll work fine for many non-Verizon devices as well.