Beginning the journey of Wireless Charging

OP icase81

24th November 2013, 08:36 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 69

278 posts
More
So I'm really missing wireless charging after having stuffed it into my GS3 and the Nexus 4 obviously having it built in. So... being that I still had 2 chargers and 2 pads left over, I've decided to begin modding the Moto X after seeing there was quite a bit of room in the bottom of the phone under the battery cover when I was replacing the woven black with a MotoMaker back. Here's the pre-fitting photos. I had to trim some of the foam away at the bottom, and still need to trace where exactly to place the wires for the charging. I'm guessing I'll have to solder directly to the back of the USB port. Where it sits will be a perfect angle, and should not interfere with NFC at all (Yay google wallet!)

I'll be posting periodically with updates, although I don't know when I'll have more time as I have 2 infant daughters that demand much attention.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to icase81 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th November 2013, 03:53 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 22

117 posts
More
Awesome!

I've been missing qi charging as well, hopefully you get this to work.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
25th November 2013, 04:20 AM   |  #3  
Flag New Delhi
Thanks Meter: 316

985 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by icase81

I'll be posting periodically with updates, although I don't know when I'll have more time as I have 2 infant daughters that demand much attention.

Curious to see how this goes. Even though I am quite sure the results will be positive.

Sub'd
25th November 2013, 04:52 AM   |  #4  
Flag Valley Stream, NY
Thanks Meter: 110

1,443 posts
Donate to Me
More
I hope you don't abandon the idea and keep us updated. Seems like a worthy project!
25th November 2013, 01:15 PM   |  #5  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 12

62 posts
More
Go OP! I can't wait to see success with this, so that I may be able to do this mod myself as well.
25th November 2013, 10:04 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 91

113 posts
Donate to Me
Exactly what I was hoping someone would do. Hopefully this works out and is simple enough to do.
26th November 2013, 12:18 AM   |  #7  
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 5

63 posts
More
Looks awesome, OP!

On a side note - where did you get the MotoMaker back? I'd like to change my back to a custom-colored one eventually too, but I haven't been able to find any backs online.
26th November 2013, 02:34 AM   |  #8  
Flag Socal
Thanks Meter: 10

140 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by terabyte128

Looks awesome, OP!

On a side note - where did you get the MotoMaker back? I'd like to change my back to a custom-colored one eventually too, but I haven't been able to find any backs online.

You can get them on ebay now. Been eyeing getting one but waiting for the wood backs.
26th November 2013, 10:27 AM   |  #9  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 32

370 posts
Well this is awesome man...!!!!!
26th November 2013, 02:48 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 35

136 posts
More
Wow, god speed. I don't yet have a Moto X (still holding out for a wood back) but I'm so used to using those Palm wireless chargers on my current phone (SGS)! I have one at work and one at home on my nightstand. It's a perfect angle of inclination for my preference and the wireless charging works great. Are you having any problems putting the phone back together? I know they don't leave much room in there for something as thick as one of these chargers. And I guess if I eventually get the wood back that probably wouldn't make for an easy time getting it off :-/

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread