Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,436 Members 45,138 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Kinivo BTC450

Tip us?

Solutions Etcetera
Old
(Last edited by Solutions Etcetera; 18th March 2014 at 02:44 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 155
Default Kinivo BTC450

Just got mine; ordered directly from their site on Saturday, received it today... $39.99, free shipping, no tax.

I was using a Logitech unit previously, and while it sounded fine, it had the disadvantage of not being very good at automatically reconnecting to the phone, and of course it had no hands free capabilities. As with pretty much all bluetooth units, there are a ton of reviews on the Kinivo; both good and terrible, so I thought I would offer this up strictly within the context of the Moto X.

Short story... I am thrilled with it!

Pros:
Amazing connectivity. It reconnects under every condition possible; moving out of range and then back in range, power off and then on, Bluetooth off and then on. My vehicle's power ports are always hot, except when cranking. This gave the Logitech fits, and I was concerned about the Kinivo as well. Bottom line... if bluetooth on the phone is on, it is always connected!

Reasonable audio quality, and contrary to a number of online reviews, both in call and media volume are good. See my cons below for more on audio.

Very positive buttons. While the thing looks a little cheap, it feels surprisingly good.

While not as good as a quality headset, I thought the in call quality was pretty good. Tried it in town on some bumpy roads, as well as on the freeway and intelligibility was good. I mounted it on the side of my center console so I can access it with my thumb when my arm is on the armrest.

Interoperability with voice commands works very well. Long press the main button and speak after the prompt. Bingo!

Cons:
In my Ford truck with Eclipse head unit, it requires a ground loop isolater, as has been the case with any 12v powered device in this vehicle. However this IS a 5v device. I suppose I could've cut the 12v adapter off and power it from my daqstuff isolated 5v supply to eliminate the need for the isolation transformer, but didn't want to mangle it before checking out how well it worked. Obviously, the audio will be much better without the transformer, but it is still bluetooth, and I primarily listen to podcasts while driving. Plus, all the music on my phone is from Google Play Music, which is notoriously poor quality anyway. I doubt I will be rewiring this to the 5v supply as I am happy enough with it as is. I can always pop in a CD when I really care about audio fidelity.

While in call quality seems completely acceptable to me (it sounds easily as good as my brother's fairly recent Sony unit), if you're doing business while driving, and expect it to sound like your not, this is not for you.

While voice commands work perfectly, the initial prompt to say a command is very low in volume; like 10db lower than anything else. The rest of the prompts / confirmations / responses are fine, so this is a mystery I have yet to figure out.

Wires are thin. While I suppose this makes it easy to route them, they will not stand up to a lot of stress. The interior of my truck is dark gray, and I felt it prudent to use some black gaffer's tap to secure all dangling wires to surfaces.

Bottom line... How well this works, and being able to locate this little button practically anywhere, makes this thing insanely convenient.

SBC44
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I have been using mine for over a year and am still loving it. Coming from the Belkin one, this one is much better since it auto-connects/disconnects with vehicle power. This can also be a con for some vehicles though, since some vehicles give the outlet constant power even when powered off, the unit won't know to disconnect and will keep your phone paired. This was a problem for me since my vehicle is close enough to my desk in my office that it would stay paired until I manually disconnected. What I ended up doing was hard wiring an outlet into my fuse panel that was switched on and off with vehicle power.

Mr. Orange 645
Old
Thanks Meter 57
I've been using one in my work vehicle and my personal vehicle for a month or so and love it. I thought the audio quality of music was really good, as is hands free phone calls.

My phone does not auto connect on either device, but its not a big deal. I just push the main button on the BT and it connects immediately. This may be because I have my phone paired with more than one BT audio device, not sure.

Either way, I'm very happy with the Kinivio.

Solutions Etcetera
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Orange 645 View Post
My phone does not auto connect on either device, but its not a big deal. I just push the main button on the BT and it connects immediately. This may be because I have my phone paired with more than one BT audio device, not sure.
My Moto X is paired with no less than five devices with three of them both HF and A2DP protocols, so I doubt that is the issue.

The Kinivo however will only automatically reconnect to the last device that connected with it.

Mr. Orange 645
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera View Post
My Moto X is paired with no less than five devices with three of them both HF and A2DP protocols, so I doubt that is the issue.

The Kinivo however will only automatically reconnect to the last device that connected with it.
My Moto X is the only device that's ever been connected to the Kinivio. How long does it usually take to auto connect? Maybe I'm just impatient? And are you on stock 4.4.2?

Solutions Etcetera
Old
(Last edited by Solutions Etcetera; 19th March 2014 at 07:03 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Orange 645 View Post
My Moto X is the only device that's ever been connected to the Kinivio. How long does it usually take to auto connect? Maybe I'm just impatient? And are you on stock 4.4.2?
It connects as soon as I get in range or almost immediately after it powers up, unless the Kinivo has dropped into standby mode (then I have to push the button). I am stock 4.4.2, unrooted xt1053.

My truck's power outlets are always hot, but cranking the starter shuts them down momentarily. The only time I have to press the button is if I don't start the truck and it's been a while with BT off or out of range.

Mr. Orange 645
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera View Post
It connects as soon as I get in range or almost immediately after it powers up, unless the Kinivo has dropped into standby mode (then I have to push the button). I am stock 4.4.2, unrooted xt1053.
I bet my Kinivio is going into stand by mode then.

sfetaz
Old
Thanks Meter 49
I have had this for a while and mostly happy with it, but recently people have been telling me that its way too hard to understand what I am saying when I am on the phone with them using the kinivo, and every time I have had to switch to speakerphone for them to hear me right. Other than that I have been happy with it. I also am able to connect my moto x and nexus 7 2013 with it at the same time, using the nexus 7 on media and the moto x on phone. The key is I must connect the nexus 7 first and the moto x 2nd. If the moto x is connected first the nexus will not connect.
Slappin my rooted Moto X

Rockin 2013 Nexus 7

Solutions Etcetera
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 155
Just an update regarding how I was able to eliminate the need for a ground isolation transformer, and hence significantly increase the audio quality.

Last year I installed one of these in my center console to charge my mobile devices...

http://daqstuff.com/400116_5volt_swi...wer_supply.htm

Since the Kinivo runs on 5v, I was planning on ripping apart the 12v power plug and wiring 5v from the DaqStuff supply to it. But the power plug HAS a 5v USB port on it. Surely that was in parallel to the 5v being supplied to the Kinivo.

I asked Kinivo whether I could just plug a 5v supply into it via the USB port rather than plugging it into a 12v power port. Their answer was that the USB port was an output. I understood that, but it is only an output when the thing is plugged into 12v. Rather than belabor the point with a CSR who most likely has no knowledge of electricity, I just decided to try it.

Success! After verifying the Kinivo operated normally with 5v plugged into its USB port, I removed the isolation transformer from the audio line. No noise, much better audio quality (sans transformer), and all without having to hack the power plug!

dyndragon
Old
Thanks Meter 108

DONATE TO ME
I too just picked one of these up from Amazon and am pretty happy with it. It so happens that this thing also supports apt-x codec in addition to standard SBC audio codec, so music should sound a little better too.
--Hans
Current: HTC One on CM10.1 , Nexus 7 on CM10.1
Retired: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Samsung Galaxy S II (T-mobile SGH-T989), T-mobile G2 (CM7), Nexus One (CM7), Samsung Galaxy Nexus GSM on CM10, Nexus 4 on CM10.1

https://plus.google.com/+HansHong