Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,471 Members 40,352 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Otterbox Defender

Tip us?

terrapin69
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Default Otterbox Defender

I have had two of these cases now for my Moto X and each one, there is a NOTICEABLE gap between the screen and the built in protector. I've used the defender on various Samsung devices and never noticed this...Is this just the way it is? should I pop out the built in protector or do you think this is defect? Like I said, I've had it on 2 from different sources.

Thanks all

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3205
Most people pop them out I think....I did. That screen is the only cheap thing about the case. Then go naked or get a different screen protector.

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

DANIEL AMBRUSO
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Which source you have had those screen protector ?

MaggiesStreak
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin69 View Post
I have had two of these cases now for my Moto X and each one, there is a NOTICEABLE gap between the screen and the built in protector. I've used the defender on various Samsung devices and never noticed this...Is this just the way it is? should I pop out the built in protector or do you think this is defect? Like I said, I've had it on 2 from different sources.

Thanks all
I think the gap is always there for this model. And the screen protector is extreme (but so is the rest of the case). I can't swipe down to list my notifications with the defender case on.
The other problem I have with the defender is its really hard to take off. I switch my SIM card between my Moto X and my Dell Streak. I only use the defender when I'm sure I won't be switching phones and when I go for a hike or something like that.
Streak 5. Rooted with Gingerbreak. No Longer on Stock! Used StreakMod to flash DSC Traveller 2.3.4 (366) . AT&T.

I'm still a noob. I just follow the directions and pick up the jargon little by little.
The Following User Says Thank You to MaggiesStreak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

terrapin69
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Default UPDATE>>>>

The Otterbox, while an AWESOME company, missed the boat with this one - The constant need to double tap entries and the inability to depress the "P" killed me and I ordered the Trident Kraken - Half the price on the "ZON" and the built in is perfect, so far...

ygthb
Old
Thanks Meter 7
My defender, while a great set of protection, is failing at the thin strip of rubber over the charging port. It has ripped in a strange way, kind of looks like a bubble in the rubber. I use it constantly as I do a lot of outdoor activities and can deal with the screen protector quirks.

nflo671
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I have the grey/white defender. There is a gap between the screen and the protector... ive read that you can either put a screen protector under it ... or remove it. When I removed it on my atrix hd defender, it left residue on the screen and it still hasnt come off. I think it came from the adhesive on the case..

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Free mobile app
Phones (also includes family members phones cause I'm the techie) lol
Note 3 n900t (Daily Driver): Darthstalker V7 with compulsion ultimate kernel "Beauty and the Beast"
Moto X: xt1058, stock
Galaxy S3: cyanogen mod 11 4.4.2
Atrix HD: Cyanogen mod 11 4.4.2
Iphone 5s: Stock
Iphone 5c: Stock

Retired:
Motorola Xoom (RIP)
Samsung Galaxy S (i9000)
Samsung Galaxy S (i500)