Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,170 Members 43,465 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Otterbox Defender

Tip us?

terrapin69
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Default Otterbox Defender

I have had two of these cases now for my Moto X and each one, there is a NOTICEABLE gap between the screen and the built in protector. I've used the defender on various Samsung devices and never noticed this...Is this just the way it is? should I pop out the built in protector or do you think this is defect? Like I said, I've had it on 2 from different sources.

Thanks all

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2762
Most people pop them out I think....I did. That screen is the only cheap thing about the case. Then go naked or get a different screen protector.

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....
Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 3 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

DANIEL AMBRUSO
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Which source you have had those screen protector ?

MaggiesStreak
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin69 View Post
I have had two of these cases now for my Moto X and each one, there is a NOTICEABLE gap between the screen and the built in protector. I've used the defender on various Samsung devices and never noticed this...Is this just the way it is? should I pop out the built in protector or do you think this is defect? Like I said, I've had it on 2 from different sources.

Thanks all
I think the gap is always there for this model. And the screen protector is extreme (but so is the rest of the case). I can't swipe down to list my notifications with the defender case on.
The other problem I have with the defender is its really hard to take off. I switch my SIM card between my Moto X and my Dell Streak. I only use the defender when I'm sure I won't be switching phones and when I go for a hike or something like that.
Streak 5. Rooted with Gingerbreak. No Longer on Stock! Used StreakMod to flash DSC Traveller 2.3.4 (366) . AT&T.

I'm still a noob. I just follow the directions and pick up the jargon little by little.
The Following User Says Thank You to MaggiesStreak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

terrapin69
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Default UPDATE>>>>

The Otterbox, while an AWESOME company, missed the boat with this one - The constant need to double tap entries and the inability to depress the "P" killed me and I ordered the Trident Kraken - Half the price on the "ZON" and the built in is perfect, so far...

ygthb
Old
Thanks Meter 7
My defender, while a great set of protection, is failing at the thin strip of rubber over the charging port. It has ripped in a strange way, kind of looks like a bubble in the rubber. I use it constantly as I do a lot of outdoor activities and can deal with the screen protector quirks.

nflo671
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I have the grey/white defender. There is a gap between the screen and the protector... ive read that you can either put a screen protector under it ... or remove it. When I removed it on my atrix hd defender, it left residue on the screen and it still hasnt come off. I think it came from the adhesive on the case..

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Free mobile app
Phones (also includes family members phones cause I'm the techie) lol
Note 3 n900t (Daily Driver): Darthstalker V7 with compulsion ultimate kernel "Beauty and the Beast"
Moto X: xt1058, stock
Galaxy S3: cyanogen mod 11 4.4.2
Atrix HD: Cyanogen mod 11 4.4.2
Iphone 5s: Stock
Iphone 5c: Stock

Retired:
Motorola Xoom (RIP)
Samsung Galaxy S (i9000)
Samsung Galaxy S (i500)