5,600,612 Members 34,532 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Trident Cyclops Case (Similar to Otterbox Defender)

Tip us?

Jon C
Old
(Last edited by Jon C; 21st December 2013 at 09:54 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Post Trident Cyclops Case (Similar to Otterbox Defender)

Slim Hard Case with Built-In Screen Protector (comparable to Otterbox Defender Series)

http://www.tridentcase.com/shop-prod...la-moto-x.aspx

TL;DR: My case didn't seal properly, but if it did, I would've been quite happy with it.

The Long Version

I ordered mine off of Amazon (for about $15 less than what Trident sells it for). I was under the impression that my product would be manufactured in the USA, given that Trident makes a big deal about that on their website. It came in Trident-branded retail packaging, but was clearly labeled "Made In China" on the back.

The case is a thin TPU, surrounded by a hardened silicone border (with reinforced corners). The frame for the top is hard plastic (TPU?), and comes with a glued-in plastic screen protector. Once in the case, the phone is exactly the same size as the Galaxy S4, only slightly thicker. The screen is still manageable, and the heft is not too outrageous, considering that it probably offers a decent amount of protection.

Pros
  • Reinforced corners
  • Rigid support
  • Easy to install
  • Buttons become larger and clickier
  • Screen protector does not cover the proximity sensor
  • Microphone and USB port covers
  • Dust filter for the speaker grill
  • Physical design is much more attractive and less bulky than what you'd find with an Otterbox case

Cons
  • So long, Moto Maker design...
  • The top portion of my case would not seal / seat properly (defective design?)
  • The silicone (as expected) grips to cloth
  • You lose the beautiful industrial design of the Moto X in a bulkier case
  • The port cover flaps are a little annoying to work around (and don't insert securely enough for my preference)
  • The case is difficult to remove (but much easier to remove than the Otterbox Defender)
  • Build materials are not as high-end as those found in an Otterbox case

Summary

I contacted Trident, asking if this case has any known manufacturing flaws, in regards to the top portion of the case being off in their measurements. To describe the problem: on the left and right of the headphone jack flap, there are two tabs that are meant to lock into the top portion of the case. Mine do not lock, and there is a large gap between the case and the phone. If you touch the top portion of the case, it makes a displeasing clicking sound. The answer I got back was, "Oh, sorry your case isn't working out. We can RMA it." But then, I don't want to continue sending in the case, only to receive similarly defective units. Basically, I worry that in a hard spill, not having that top portion of the case secured shut, could send your phone flying.

If you could try this case out in a store, and it fits perfectly, I'd say that it's a great case for someone who is worried about a hard drop, but finds the Otterbox Defender to be comically large and ugly. This case is actually surprisingly slim, given the protection it offers. So if it all worked as it should, I would be keeping it. But seeing that the snaps are not only off in measurement - but also - seem like they are structurally inefficient, I'm going to assume that this is simply a design flaw. Perhaps they designed the case without having access to the device?

I might try grabbing a second one. I'm unsure, though. Has anyone else used this case at all?

danny39
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Photos are corrupted, please try to reupload, I'd like to see the case

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk
Motorola Moto X 32GB (Navy/Silver/Black) (Current)
Samsung Galaxy S4 16GB (Black Mist) (Rooted) (MF3)
Asus Transformer Pad Infinity w/ Dock (Stock) (Not Rooted)
HTC One XL (AT&T) [Sold]
iPhone 4 16GB (White) [Sold]
Samsung Focus 8GB [Sold]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackplague1347 View Post
B-BUT IT HAS GIRILLA GLASS! IT TOUGH! NO BREAK. NO BREAK GURILLA
GLASS. GARILLA BIG TOUGH MONKEY! GLASS BIG AND TOUGH TOO!

kj2112
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny39 View Post
Photos are corrupted, please try to reupload, I'd like to see the case

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk
Google has pics!

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

someguyatx
Old
Thanks Meter 345
I just got the Trident Kraken AMS last night as an early Xmas gift. Ive had very good results with Trident products in the past and this case is solid. On the Kraken the front is the same as Cyclops but its a 3 piece rather than 2 and bulkier. Its not a daily use case though, I have a bike mount system for mountain biking. If you don't mind the extra bulk get the Kraken. My daily case is a TPU.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Tags
case, cyclops, moto x, trident