XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Trident Cyclops

Tip us?

19Interpol
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Default Trident Cyclops

Anyone here have the cyclops case? If so, can you post pics of the case? I read a review someone did but all they used were the stock images Trident provides. I'm still undecided between this and the Otterbox Commuter case so the pics would definitely help.

kj2112
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1623
I have a commuter... Fits perfect, great protection... A little slippery maybe. I did get a defender too for work... Cause I need a holster at work. When my defender gets all hacked up, I'll use the commuter on weekends when I don't need a holster.

Sent from my Moto X cell phone telephone.....

Jon C
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I posted a review on the Cyclops on this forum. And yes, I linked to the stock pictures because they are just the same as what you get in person, and my camera at the time was a half-dead Galaxy Nexus.

That said: between the Defender and the Cyclops, I much prefer the Trident case for the size. It's much more pocketable and it's easier to remove. It looks less nerdy and it's simply more elegant. On a size scale, the Cyclops is more comparable to the Otterbox Commuter. It does add a lot of bulk, but with the protection, your phone would have to land on a corner, against the screen, for it to shatter.

However, it does not at all offer the same amount as protection as the Defender, given the materials. The Otterbox Defender is completely obnoxious to remove. But once it's on, it's on. And that thing is a tank. A big, ugly, bulky tank. It's ugly as sin, but it works perfectly, and it's solid.

If you work outside, you'll want that one for sure. It's a monster. If you want decent protection, with a few pros of the Defender (plastic screen cover, padded corners), but without all of that bulk, then the Cyclops is okay. Otherwise, I'm more partial to the Otterbox Commuter.

Between the Commuter and the Cyclops, the biggest difference is that the Commuter doesn't have a built-in plastic screen guard. The one on the cyclops is fairly flimsy. It's basically a capacitive protector that's been glued onto the faceplate. It's fine for me, but I would've preferred something a bit more substantial if possible.

The Biggest Problem with the Cyclops Case: The top of my case doesn't clip shut. I don't know if they're all flawed, or if I just got lucky. There are notches for the clips to snap into place, but for whatever reason (perhaps there was an error when the mold was created and they didn't have access to the phone?), it won't snap shut. I've reached out to Trident, and they've said that I could RMA it for a new one. I tried that, and I haven't heard back from anybody.

It won't fall off, but it's annoying to feel that much wiggle room. You always notice it. If you hold the phone and apply pressure to the top, the case bends and makes a "click" sound where the notches should be snapping into place. It always bugs me.

Given that mine doesn't shut tight properly, I'm going to return it to Amazon if I don't hear back soon, and get the Commuter.

Anyway, I hope that helps you. Refer to my original thread for more info.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon C For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

19Interpol
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112 View Post
I have a commuter... Fits perfect, great protection... A little slippery maybe. I did get a defender too for work... Cause I need a holster at work. When my defender gets all hacked up, I'll use the commuter on weekends when I don't need a holster.

Sent from my Moto X cell phone telephone.....

Thankfully the commuter case has a few pictures floating around and actual video reviews. I had a commuter for my previous devices and have had a great experience with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon C View Post

I posted a review on the Cyclops on this forum. And yes, I linked to the stock pictures because they are just the same as what you get in person, and my camera at the time was a half-dead Galaxy Nexus.

That said: between the Defender and the Cyclops, I much prefer the Trident case for the size. It's much more pocketable and it's easier to remove. It looks less nerdy and it's simply more elegant. On a size scale, the Cyclops is more comparable to the Otterbox Commuter. It does add a lot of bulk, but with the protection, your phone would have to land on a corner, against the screen, for it to shatter.

However, it does not at all offer the same amount as protection as the Defender, given the materials. The Otterbox Defender is completely obnoxious to remove. But once it's on, it's on. And that thing is a tank. A big, ugly, bulky tank. It's ugly as sin, but it works perfectly, and it's solid.

If you work outside, you'll want that one for sure. It's a monster. If you want decent protection, with a few pros of the Defender (plastic screen cover, padded corners), but without all of that bulk, then the Cyclops is okay. Otherwise, I'm more partial to the Otterbox Commuter.

Between the Commuter and the Cyclops, the biggest difference is that the Commuter doesn't have a built-in plastic screen guard. The one on the cyclops is fairly flimsy. It's basically a capacitive protector that's been glued onto the faceplate. It's fine for me, but I would've preferred something a bit more substantial if possible.

The Biggest Problem with the Cyclops Case: The top of my case doesn't clip shut. I don't know if they're all flawed, or if I just got lucky. There are notches for the clips to snap into place, but for whatever reason (perhaps there was an error when the mold was created and they didn't have access to the phone?), it won't snap shut. I've reached out to Trident, and they've said that I could RMA it for a new one. I tried that, and I haven't heard back from anybody.

It won't fall off, but it's annoying to feel that much wiggle room. You always notice it. If you hold the phone and apply pressure to the top, the case bends and makes a "click" sound where the notches should be snapping into place. It always bugs me.

Given that mine doesn't shut tight properly, I'm going to return it to Amazon if I don't hear back soon, and get the Commuter.

Anyway, I hope that helps you. Refer to my original thread for more info.
Thanks and yeah I saw your thread already. I'm not interested in the defender since it's too big. The one thing I don't like about the cyclops is the built in screen protector. I actually don't need a thick case but I just like to change it up with some options since I currently own thin cases.

Jon C
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I would also like to add: avoid this case if you ever plan on taking it off. Mine ripped after the eighth removal (I've been putting it on as I leave the house, as I wait to hear back from the RMA process), at a really crucial spot. Really poor design. What a shame.

I'm going to return mine to the Amazon seller and just get an Otterbox Commuter (unless something better shows up).