Locked Bootloader Root Discussion (Developers Only)

Search This thread

touchpro247

Apr 8, 2009
Yes they do stand a chance. VZW/ATT bootloaders are still locked. Root is unobtainable on current models since the OTA update. Safestrap is a great step forward, but only available to original owners that have not updated.

So again, the safegaurds are actually still in place.

FYI: You can downgrade on at&t root, protect root, update again then use safestrap.

rmead01

Sep 6, 2012
FYI: You can downgrade on at&t root, protect root, update again then use safestrap.

How? I've been trying for days. Always fails no matter what. tried rsdlite, tried fastboot, replaced gpt files and whatnot.

If you know how to downgrade a locked ATT phone to pre OTA software, you'd be the first person to know how.

touchpro247

Apr 8, 2009
How? I've been trying for days. Always fails no matter what. tried rsdlite, tried fastboot, replaced gpt files and whatnot.

If you know how to downgrade a locked ATT phone to pre OTA software, you'd be the first person to know how.

I just used this guide & tutorial and it worked. I actually have done this a few times because the roms I've been working on don't flash correctly w/ safestrap.

I'm not going to hijack this thread but if you post in one of the other threads, I'll help you as much as I can.

[GUIDE][VIDEO] Moto X - Return to 100% stock (using RSD Lite) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2446515

Tutorial: How To Protect and Restore Root for an OTA Update http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=46093725

Last edited:

rmead01

Sep 6, 2012
I just used this guide & tutorial and it worked. I actually have done this a few times because the roms I've been working on don't flash correctly w/ safestrap.

I'm not going to hijack this thread but if you post in one of the other threads, I'll help you as much as I can.

[GUIDE][VIDEO] Moto X - Return to 100% stock (using RSD Lite) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2446515

Tutorial: How To Protect and Restore Root for an OTA Update http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=46093725

I've tried it but I'll give it another shot and see what happens. I'll PM you if I need any assistance.

atomb

Apr 16, 2010
Denver
I've tried it but I'll give it another shot and see what happens. I'll PM you if I need any assistance.

I'm with you, those directions don't work for me either. It fails every time in RSDlite when trying to flash the firmware. Complains that a newer version is already on the phone and quits. It got this way when trying to keep root while updating and that obviously failed. Now I am stuck on the new version with no root. :(

rmead01

Sep 6, 2012
I'm with you, those directions don't work for me either. It fails every time in RSDlite when trying to flash the firmware. Complains that a newer version is already on the phone and quits. It got this way when trying to keep root while updating and that obviously failed. Now I am stuck on the new version with no root. :(

Yeah talked to him last night. Since he was updating with the method to keep root, his baseband was not updating. When your baseband updates from doing the OTA the way it's supposed to (unrooted) you are not able to flash down.

atomb

Apr 16, 2010
Denver
Yeah talked to him last night. Since he was updating with the method to keep root, his baseband was not updating. When your baseband updates from doing the OTA the way it's supposed to (unrooted) you are not able to flash down.

Thanks, looks like I (and whoever else) failed to keep root are just screwed for the time being. Hope one of the xda geniuses figure something out.

matt99017d

Nov 17, 2011
Camas WA
Thanks, looks like I (and whoever else) failed to keep root are just screwed for the time being. Hope one of the xda geniuses figure something out.

This is a post by matt over in the fxz forum. Worth a shot!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2411618

QUOTE=mattlgroff;46356343]If you flash only system, boot, and modem you can always downgrade to a rootable firmware. Just don't take OTAs.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk now Free[/QUOTE]

Sent from my rooted apple 5s killer!

rmead01

Sep 6, 2012
This is a post by matt over in the fxz forum. Worth a shot!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2411618

QUOTE=mattlgroff;46356343]If you flash only system, boot, and modem you can always downgrade to a rootable firmware. Just don't take OTAs.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk now Free

Sent from my rooted apple 5s killer![/QUOTE]

Again, this might work for someone still on the original software. But this won't help anyone that has already accepted the OTA.

wturner859

Feb 27, 2013
Lexington
I just got my VZW moto X 2 days ago... System update said I was up to date... Yesterday I tried the root method in original moto X development forum... And it worked... Unless I somehow don't have the latest Ota... But it said I was up to date... Am I missing so me thing here? According to what you guys are saying, I shouldn't have been able to root... I can't find the latest ota build number to know if I'm on it... But like I said, it said I was up to date before I even rooted... But here look...
9ujy2aqu.jpg

ba4asavy.jpg

mujyje9a.jpg

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

thepolishguy

Dec 3, 2009
Ivanhoe CA
I just got my VZW moto X 2 days ago... System update said I was up to date... Yesterday I tried the root method in original moto X development forum... And it worked... Unless I somehow don't have the latest Ota... But it said I was up to date... Am I missing so me thing here? According to what you guys are saying, I shouldn't have been able to root... I can't find the latest ota build number to know if I'm on it... But like I said, it said I was up to date before I even rooted... But here look...

Your system is up to date. Verizon hasn't got the update that breaks root. So that is why you didn't have any problems. DON'T accept the update if you want to keep root.

Dark9781

Apr 21, 2009
9ujy2aqu.jpg

ba4asavy.jpg

mujyje9a.jpg

That is because Verizon hasn't released an update for the Moto X yet. All Verizon phones still have the original firmware from the launch of the device.

wturner859

Feb 27, 2013
Lexington
At least one good thing came from vzw making sure they stick their fingers in all updates before they get pushed out, huh?

core720

Feb 6, 2012
is there any way to unlock without losing the warranty?

Motopocalypse: Motorola bootloader unlock script is compatible with our device?

Reactions: csytracy

Flip35

Oct 20, 2010
florida
Google Pixel 5a
Google Pixel 6a
I just received my Moto X(verizon) it was already up to date but i guess ill be able to root also im gpnna post a pic of my info

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387576959457.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387576959457.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 462

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All i'm saying is.. If you get root enjoy the bounty! :good:

There's no if in this part. I know what it's vulnerable to. Only thing now is getting it to load up and exploit. We've covered the hard part :p
    The point of this thread is to talk about possible vurnibilities we can use for a root exploit. This discussion should only include relevant information. Please do not spam this thread full of thanks you and questions. That will only cause problems.

The first vurn I would like to talk about is the second master key vurn as it is open. I have yet to see it included in an exploit.

The second one is a vurn jcase has posted in his security Google + community. I will go look for a link to include here.
    Well, there's about to be a lot more people awake that can help. I'll wait around another half hour and I'm going to bed. Just finished working 11 hours and am beat. I'd be glad to stay up and test and/or help, but if I don't hear back by 7:30 est. I'm going to bed. Thank you @Indirect for helping us out though. I really appreciate it and I hope when I wake up I'll be able to root my phone and get you your bounty money!

I've seen a couple of posts on Google Plus regarding odd battery drain. Most point to rogue apps. Are you running Weather Bug PAID by any chance? that's a common culprit.

I do but unless it's hidden under kernel usage I don't see it draining anything

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 4

I don't want to be THAT guy but.....

Can you guys please take this to PM? The OP has requested pertinent chatter only. I was looking forward to 2 full pages of exploit talk and now all I've read is battery life speculation :'(

Thanks guys, sorry if I bursted your bubble

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    I compiled and built the program that tries to use the libperf_event exploit, and got it to run, but it doesn't seem to work on the X, so I think it's safe to say that they blocked that exploit.

Well, as of right now I have a few ways to root the AT&T variant. If I can get the kernel decompressed, I can get an offset and use a kernel exploit. But right now I'm trying an apk based one.
    Moto X has been rooted!!