Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,865 Members 44,364 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Access to Play Services from tethered device

Tip us?

monorailmedic
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default Access to Play Services from tethered device

So I am not sure if this is a carrier issue, a hardware issue, etc, so if someone can help me narrow it down it'd be great.

I have an unlocked X on TMO, and a Nexus 7 (2012). When I tether my Nexus 7 to my Moto X, most things work - but Google Services don't. It's as if there is a host entry, DNS issue, etc. When I load a webpage, all is well, but if I try to open the play store, look at my sync status, etc, it is clear I am not able to talk to Google on the Nexus 7, when tethered to my Moto X on TMO.

I work w/ several people w/ TMO and other devices and it seems a bit inconsistent. My N7 played nice w/ an S4 on TMO, and that same S4 played nice when tethered to my Moto X. Any ideas?

I'd download some network dx apps right now, but well, I can't get stuff from the play store...

Thanks,
BH

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 167
I have tethered my Nexus 7 2013 to my Moto X (Rogers Canada build 4.4.2, different provider though) and have no problems. Just used it to update all the play store apps on my Nexus 7.
Deep in the Heart of the State of the Art with my Moto X.

ayush20m
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I don't think it's related. Few days back I had the same issue with everything Google. So Google.com also won't open. I closed all the apps on Moto and it was up and running.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

DonKilluminati23
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Every once in a while I'll have issues with play services on a device using wifi, but it doesn't SEEM to be related to tethering. Certainly a bit sporadic I would say.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk