XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] AT&T Tethering from Dev/T-Mobile model

Tip us?

superm1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Default [Q] AT&T Tethering from Dev/T-Mobile model

I've got a T-Mobile Moto X (XT1053) on the way. I didn't do the dev version since I wanted to customize with motomaker. I'm intending to use it with AT&T though in the short term.

I'm curious if anyone else doing this arrangement can comment on the native tethering experience on AT&T? Since it's the T-Mobile model, does it bother with an entitlement check? Does it just work? That's pretty much the only reason for me to bother rooting since I wanted to stay on the stock rom for this phone. Would be pretty sweet if tethering just worked

Whoops - noticed this is general. Mods please move to Q/A section

bongostl
Old
Thanks Meter 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by superm1 View Post
I've got a T-Mobile Moto X (XT1053) on the way. I didn't do the dev version since I wanted to customize with motomaker. I'm intending to use it with AT&T though in the short term.

I'm curious if anyone else doing this arrangement can comment on the native tethering experience on AT&T? Since it's the T-Mobile model, does it bother with an entitlement check? Does it just work? That's pretty much the only reason for me to bother rooting since I wanted to stay on the stock rom for this phone. Would be pretty sweet if tethering just worked

Whoops - noticed this is general. Mods please move to Q/A section
If you're planning to root it, you can solve the problem easily...otherwise, at least my att phone tried to check with net10 (my carrier) when I triT

There is a thread with the instructions for wifi tethering w/out the check.
Thankful for my help? Here's my favorite charity. Make a donation: http://ajws.org/
My Phones: N1>G2>MT4g>NS>G2X>Sensation>GS2(t989)>GN>N4>Moto X
Carrier: Net10--$45/m for Unlimited Calls/SMS + 2.5GB

superm1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
If I could get away without rooting it i'd rather skip doing so, but if the check is still happening than I guess that's a good reason to root. Saw http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2544679 is how to get around if rooted.

bugsy
Old
Thanks Meter 25
I just got the dev model this week and native tethering works perfectly on AT&T, no need to root.
The Following User Says Thank You to bugsy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

superm1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsy View Post
I just got the dev model this week and native tethering works perfectly on AT&T, no need to root.
Awesome, thanks!

superm1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Just got my MotoMaker T-Mobile model today and popped in an AT&T nano sim. Tethering indeed works perfectly on it! YAY.