5,598,542 Members 45,580 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Battery saving tips

Tip us?

flashallthetime
Old
Thanks Meter 1276
Turn off "scanning allows available while wifi is off", its under WiFi advance settings, scans for WiFi even if your WiFi is off, I don't know who and why that is even a setting but it is

Sent on my Moto X
]Dr EVIL EVO HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
Don"t ask me for help,couldn't careless if your phone explodes

Wischmann3
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default battery saver tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112 View Post
I am gonna copy paste a thread I made for the t989 s2. It's all universal advice.

Yes... Root is required for a lot of this.

A nandroid backup first is a good idea.

Lots of this is common knowledge, but maybe not to some newer Android users.... So here it is.

About the only moto x specific thing I can add is freeze all that motorola stuff. Even the com.motorola stuff. If you really want active display.... Keep it, I did. I went a few days without touch less control and now it's back on. Gonna see if my battery gets effected. Of your not sure what some of this com. Motorola stuff is, you can google it.

So.....2 things I personally think work best to solve battery draining issues.

1. GSAM from playstore. It will tell you what apps are draining your battery...the top of the app list will be your main culprits. Then you need to find out why? You can check what apps are waking your phone and for how long. Gsam can tell you a lot if you play around with it and see what it can show you.

2. Cpuspy, also from play store. A simple yet easy way to see if your phone is deep sleeping. Deep sleep should pretty much be your total up time....minus screen on time. Roughly. If it isn't, or you have no deep sleep time.....back to gsam to find out why.

Once you narrow down the app culprits ....then you can search on why.

One last huge thing I personally have done for a long time now....reboot after you unplug from charger. Every single time. This used to be a fix for not getting deep sleep....and I think it still is a good practice.

That's it. 2 apps and you can post your battery draining questions with a lot more info than simply saying..."hey....my battery life sucks."

Cause 9.5 times out of 10.....it has nothing to do with the rom you are using. Usually anyway.

Sent from my Moto X cell phone telephone...

Thanks for the info... I will try this one...

Sent from my Moto X

redhonker
Old
Thanks Meter 7
CPU spy shows only 13% deep sleeping.

I don't have root. How can I hunt down where the battery goes? Thanks
gTablet, DRH Jelly Bean 4.3
Kindle Fire HD 8.9, PAC-man
Moto X XT1058, AT&T 4.4
Samsung Galaxy S4 i337, AT&T, 4.3 rooted

kj2112
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 1637
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhonker View Post
CPU spy shows only 13% deep sleeping.

I don't have root. How can I hunt down where the battery goes? Thanks
Are you on 4.2.2. If so... Gsam will tell you.

Apparently if your on 4.4....you have to be rooted.

Kinda seems google is slowly trying to be like iPhone... And not let you do stuff unless you are rooted. Lol

But you should be around or over 80 percent deep sleep. If not.... You have an issue. And 13 percent.... You have a big issue.

trevorftard
Old
Thanks Meter 10
The best battery tip would be to download GravityBox and enabling "Solid Black Display". Being that the screen is AMOLED, you're saving loads of battery without sacrificing anything.

imnuts
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2937

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashallthetime View Post
Turn off "scanning allows available while wifi is off", its under WiFi advance settings, scans for WiFi even if your WiFi is off, I don't know who and why that is even a setting but it is

Sent on my Moto X
If you read the differences between 4.3 and 4.4, you'll notice what it is for. Google implemented the change to improve location accuracy with minimal effects on the battery. From my experience, while it looks like wifi is on all the time, it doesn't really do anything to battery life, but vastly improves location accuracy and lock time. So far, I've done next to nothing suggested in this thread, and I'm still coming home from work with about the same battery % remaining as I did on my Note 2. The best part is that my phone is probably doing more to affect battery life, but actually using less.
Setup a Development Environment
Setup and Use the Android SDK
Stock Odin Restore files

You can find the answer to all of your questions right here. If that doesn't work, then try this or this

kj2112
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 1637
One thing I didn't say in my opening posts was that if someone is having trouble with battery life.... Do all this stuff... Then one at a time bring back things you miss... If one of them impacts your battery more than you care for.... You'll know what app or feature it is.

Everyone has different battery expectations and needs.... Some of my suggestions may seem too extreme for some people, or not at all for others.

I do everything I posted. I personally want every extra minute of screen time I can get.... But that's just me. Everyone has their own needs. I still enjoy my phone immensely... And use the functions I want for myself.... And see 5 to 6 hour screen times every charge. If some of my cuts are too much for some... That's totally understandable.

Btw.... I don't care for touch less control.... But with it on.... I pretty much lose one hour screen time. Luckily it's not a feature I care about... So it's off. Just an FYI.

redhonker
Old
(Last edited by redhonker; 14th December 2013 at 05:08 AM.)
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112 View Post
Are you on 4.2.2. If so... Gsam will tell you.

Apparently if your on 4.4....you have to be rooted.

Kinda seems google is slowly trying to be like iPhone... And not let you do stuff unless you are rooted. Lol

But you should be around or over 80 percent deep sleep. If not.... You have an issue. And 13 percent.... You have a big issue.

Yeah, I am on 4.4, not rooted.

59% at 384 MHz

What are the Motorola services that I should disable?

I've gone through Apps Ops and disabled wake-lock on almost all apps. Any other ways to find out what's behind the scene?

Thanks
gTablet, DRH Jelly Bean 4.3
Kindle Fire HD 8.9, PAC-man
Moto X XT1058, AT&T 4.4
Samsung Galaxy S4 i337, AT&T, 4.3 rooted