Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,490 Members 40,980 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Who needs Carplay or Android Auto if you have a Moto X?

Tip us?

bleach168
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Default Who needs Carplay or Android Auto if you have a Moto X?

Moto X works great with the bluetooth controls in my car. With the combination of touchless controls and Motorola assist, I can listen to music, send texts, make phone calls, get weather reports, get sports scores, etc without taking the phone out of my pocket.

The only issue is the screen is a bit small for navigation.

If I wanted a bigger screen I would rather put a Nexus 7 or Ipad Mini in the dash. I wish automakers would just do that instead and just configure the software to better suit driving conditions.
Apple, if you're not going to lead, then get out of the way!

tu3218
Old
Thanks Meter 246
True but the problem is I don't always ride around with bluetooth media turned on. I like to listen to radio talk shows, so if I have the radio on, I won't get anything through bluetooth streaming(music, google now, etc). My calls come through of course, nothing audio because the car is on radio mode. So yes, it's useful if you're always on media/bluetooth streaming mode, but if not than not so much.
The Following User Says Thank You to tu3218 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

biggiestuff
Old
Thanks Meter 126
In dash system is more elegant than having a moto x mounted on your windshield. Pressing a button while driving is easier than saying okay Google now, especially while listening to audio. 7" display is better than 4.7. Don't get me wrong, I use the moto x in exactly the fashion I've described above but a cleaner solution is always welcomed.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to biggiestuff For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chrisp6825
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggiestuff View Post
In dash system is more elegant than having a moto x mounted on your windshield. Pressing a button while driving is easier than saying okay Google now, especially while listening to audio. 7" display is better than 4.7. Don't get me wrong, I use the moto x in exactly the fashion I've described above but a cleaner solution is always welcomed.

biggiestuff wants bigger stuff in his car.
lol

tapa'd on my moto x
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1312133195.png

Current Device : Moto X (vzw/no-root/no-dev)
Past Devices :

Droid Bionic, Moto Atrix 3G, HTC MyTouch 3G, Palm Treo 750, Moto Razr v3 ...

biggiestuff
Old
Thanks Meter 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp6825 View Post
biggiestuff wants bigger stuff in his car.
lol

tapa'd on my moto x
I'm from Texas, bigger is better! 😂

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to biggiestuff For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

deathsled
Old
Thanks Meter 78
I'm just waiting for the new screen casting for Chromecast to start working with the Moto X.

Once that happens my chromecast is going into my car and being patched into my factory nav screen.

Boom! Google NAV, Pandora, Netflix, Plex, Google Play Music, etc... It's gonna be nice!
Smart Phone History: Palm Treo650->HTC Faraday->Samsung Blackjack->Motorola Q->Nokia e61i->Apple iPhone 3G->HTC EVO->HTC EVO V->Moto X

biggiestuff
Old
Thanks Meter 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathsled View Post
I'm just waiting for the new screen casting for Chromecast to start working with the Moto X.

Once that happens my chromecast is going into my car and being patched into my factory nav screen.

Boom! Google NAV, Pandora, Netflix, Plex, Google Play Music, etc... It's gonna be nice!
Are you going to put a router in your car to? How are you going to cast it? I thought the screen casting works over the wifi network.

bleach168
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:

Yeah, I think the ideal solution is to have a dumb screen that just mirrors your phone. It's cheap and effective. Too bad they will never do it because they don't want you watching Netflix while driving.
Apple, if you're not going to lead, then get out of the way!

deathsled
Old
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggiestuff View Post
Are you going to put a router in your car to? How are you going to cast it? I thought the screen casting works over the wifi network.
Turn on wifi hotspot on my phone and let the chromecast connect to it. I can't remember if I was able to control the chromecast like that or not. I tested a few scenarios. Worst case I just use another device to control it while my phone is being the router/internet access.
Smart Phone History: Palm Treo650->HTC Faraday->Samsung Blackjack->Motorola Q->Nokia e61i->Apple iPhone 3G->HTC EVO->HTC EVO V->Moto X

biggiestuff
Old
Thanks Meter 126
Quote:
Turn on wifi hotspot on my phone and let the chromecast connect to it. I can't remember if I was able to control the chromecast like that or not. I tested a few scenarios. Worst case I just use another device to control it while my phone is being the router/internet access.
That seems more trouble than just connecting your phone to the Android auto head unit. Less functionality than mirroring but easier. Might as well just plug in a miracast adapter into your system.