Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,011 Members 48,109 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Who needs Carplay or Android Auto if you have a Moto X?

Tip us?

deathsled
Old
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggiestuff View Post
That seems more trouble than just connecting your phone to the Android auto head unit. Less functionality than mirroring but easier. Might as well just plug in a miracast adapter into your system.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
Well I have the chromecast already and don't have a miracast dongle, so the Chromecast is actually the easier and cheaper solution.

Plus I like the additional functionality beyond screen casting. Like what if I wanted to get Netflix going on the screen but still have my phone available...
Smart Phone History: Palm Treo650->HTC Faraday->Samsung Blackjack->Motorola Q->Nokia e61i->Apple iPhone 3G->HTC EVO->HTC EVO V->Moto X

chrisp6825
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathsled View Post
Well I have the chromecast already and don't have a miracast dongle, so the Chromecast is actually the easier and cheaper solution.

Plus I like the additional functionality beyond screen casting. Like what if I wanted to get Netflix going on the screen but still have my phone available...
Hmm chrome cast in a car... This does seem interesting. Basically it sounds like android auto, but without the screen being disabled during connection.

I think I got a new project idea to play with now. Lol

tapa'd on my moto x
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1312133195.png

Current Device : Moto X (vzw/no-root/no-dev)
Past Devices :

Droid Bionic, Moto Atrix 3G, HTC MyTouch 3G, Palm Treo 750, Moto Razr v3 ...

biggiestuff
Old
Thanks Meter 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathsled View Post

It's still a lot of work. YOu have to get into the car, enable your hotspot so chromecast can work, put that phone aside and use a 2nd phone or tablet to cast to the chromecast?

I have more faith in the devs just figuring out how to mirror your screen to android auto while connected to your phone. .

chrisp6825
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Wouldn't hosting a hotspot on his (primary) device create a LAN that his phone and chrome cast could communicate through? Thus not needing a router or secondary phone, as well as still having mobile data connectivity...

Will a chrome cast detect an android device like this?

tapa'd on my moto x

Past Devices :

biggiestuff
Old
Thanks Meter 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp6825 View Post
Wouldn't hosting a hotspot on his (primary) device create a LAN that his phone and chrome cast could communicate through? Thus not needing a router or secondary phone, as well as still having mobile data connectivity...

Will a chrome cast detect an android device like this?

tapa'd on my moto x
The device hosting the hotspot wouldn't be able to cast to the chromecast you would need an additional device connected to the hotspot to be able to cast.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

deathsled
Old
Thanks Meter 78
oh one new feature hitting the chromecast is for devices NOT on the same wireless network to send stuff to be casted to it. All you need to know is a PIN code from the Chromecast.

This will let it work in the car perfectly. It can connect to the hotspot on the phone and my phone can still send it commands over the internet and not a local network.
Smart Phone History: Palm Treo650->HTC Faraday->Samsung Blackjack->Motorola Q->Nokia e61i->Apple iPhone 3G->HTC EVO->HTC EVO V->Moto X

chrisp6825
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Though that may work, it's just such a... redundant workaround... Lol
In theory, they should have a common subnet across the wlan adapters. I see no reason they can't talk across that, other than software imposed restrictions.

tapa'd on my moto x

Past Devices :