Changing your Moto X bootlogo (no root needed)

Search This thread

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
So the customized bootlogo is just a bitmap, it is stored at /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/clogo.

To back it up (root required for backup):
adb shell su -c "dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/clogo of=/sdcard/clogo.bmp"

To "de-customize" the bootloader:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot erase clogo

To flash a new one:
fastboot flash clogo <filename>.bmp

Make sure the file is the same dimensions as the original, attached is my "PwnMyMoto" bootlogo, for reference

Attachments

• pwnmymoto.bmp.zip
    367 KB · Views: 6,777

thepolishguy

Dec 3, 2009
Ivanhoe CA
black

here's a black one if anyone is interested...

blackp.bmp

blackp.bmp

Reactions: jco23

Casen

Sep 26, 2010
Washington D.C.
I'll have to go to my computer when I wake up, but that exact file is also in the DROID line too.

Sent from my DROID MAXX via Tapatalk 4.

jason.912

May 9, 2012
Is there a way to do this without adb? I'm having a hard time getting everything to work on my laptop.

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
Which you run through adb.....?
While the phone is in fast boot mode....?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

No, you run the commands in a command prompt window, not adb. You're using adb whenever you type in "adb ...." you're using fastboot whenever you type "fastboot..." both adb and fastboot are separate executables and are in the same directory hence why typing either "adb" or "fastboot" into the same command prompt works for both functions. "adb reboot bootloader" calls the adb exe and "fastboot reboot-bootloader" calls the fastboot exe

Last edited:

Casen

Sep 26, 2010
Washington D.C.
No, you run the commands in a command prompt window, not adb. You're using adb whenever you type in "adb ...." you're using fastboot whenever you type "fastboot..." both adb and fastboot are separate executables and are in the same directory hence why typing either adb or fastboot into the command prompt works for both functions

Learn something new. Thank you.

Sent from my DROID MAXX via Tapatalk 4.

thepolishguy

Dec 3, 2009
Ivanhoe CA
Is there a way to do this without adb? I'm having a hard time getting everything to work on my laptop.

So the answer is, "You cannot do this without a computer."

You said, "ADB", but we all knew that you meant "fastboot".

So yeah you need your computer and fastboot.

If you are having a tough time installing the android sdk you could try using "minimal adb" I think it is called?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=42407269

Top Liked Posts