XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Dealbreaker?

Tip us?

WizeGuyDezignz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 783
Default Dealbreaker?

Hey guys, I've had my Moto X for a week now and I might return to my Note 3. I really like this phone overall, but man the camera really is that bad. I read all the stories but hoped the update would be good enough for me. Unfortunately it hasn't been.

I can't even imagine how bad the camera must have been before the update. The camera is simply dreadful. Do I have a defective Moto X or is it really this bad?

If I'm not outside on a sunny day or in a really well lit room, it's the worst camera I've ever had on any smartphone that I've ever owned. And that includes phones from over 4 years ago. Is it really this bad?

Here are some sample shots. I took these same shots with my Note 3, and those shots blew these away. I will try to post those later.

Sent from my XT1058 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1387381085029.jpg
Views:	1643
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	2461787  

Travisdroidx2
Old
Thanks Meter 766
Yes, It is that bad. Coming from a S4 and I know what you mean. But I still love being free with a unlocked bootlaoder and would not go back.

WizeGuyDezignz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 783
Ughh, I was afraid of that. I really like the phone, but not sure I can deal with this. Thanks bro.

Sent from my XT1058 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1387381887551.jpg
Views:	1316
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	2461821  

deathsled
Old
Thanks Meter 78
I don't think the camera is bad at all. I didn't get to experience how it was before any of the updates though.

So far color representation looks to be spot on. I was even impressed by the low light quality. I took a picture last night in a dimly lit room and was astounded at how good the picture came out. It's way better than my last phone (EVO 3D).
Smart Phone History: Palm Treo650->HTC Faraday->Samsung Blackjack->Motorola Q->Nokia e61i->Apple iPhone 3G->HTC EVO->HTC EVO V->Moto X

matt87n
Old
Thanks Meter 0
ahhh ya i came from an iPhone 4 which is 3.5 yrs old and the camera on that was better in every category except low light performance.

fury683
Old
Thanks Meter 46

DONATE TO ME
Are you using HDR?

I also see that your flash seems to be firing. I have Auto Flash OFF because the pictures to look very washed out with the bright white flash. I find that the camera works much better and has much better saturation in lower light with the flash off.

If I'm just taking a picture of a list or piece of paper and I only need to be able to see/read it, I use the flash, otherwise I keep the flash off for "nice" photos.

telefoner
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Have you tried using any camera apps. I would recommend the following two apps :"a Better Camera "almost fully functional in the free version and FV-5, a paid app and I don't believe there is a trial version. I have been experimenting with both apps and have been quiet successful getting some really decent low light shots. Both apps allow you to set the ISO level and "a Better Camera" allows you to set the amount of noise reduction for low light shots (the options are None, Minor & Hard). Worth trying out either app in my opinion.

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to telefoner For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kj2112
Old
(Last edited by kj2112; 18th December 2013 at 05:13 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1599
I've got pics of the kids inside at night, with flash on... And the pics are easy better than my s2 was. I find background light can make the pic taking tricky tho. I have to move slightly one easy or the other and when I get it right the pics are just fine. Maybe other phones handle background light easier.... But with a little practise, I find this camera pretty good.

That's just me.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

And yes... Sometimes you think you need a flash inside... When you don't. And the pics are easy better with no flash. Again... I had to play around and get to know how and where the best pics turn out.

But again.... I'm one of those, it's just a phone camera guys... I'm maybe not as picky. I'm not trying to sell my pics, so I'm happy. If I know I want to take very good pics somewhere... In advance... I bring my camera.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

kolyan
Old
(Last edited by kolyan; 18th December 2013 at 05:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 170
Right about now it would be nice to see 4.4.2 with camera update. Noise/quality are un-exeptable for a $500+ phone. Yes S4 is night and day difference with Moto X in camera.

S4 was the FIRST camera in phone that I used and I took many pictures, most came out usable and some pretty impressive. With MX, most pictures indoors I cant even look at.....I delete all of them right away.

gtg465x
Old
(Last edited by gtg465x; 18th December 2013 at 05:20 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2763
The only place I find camera quality to be bad is in low light, but it's not the hardware, it's the software. The camera software just sets the ISO higher than it should and overexposes everything in low light. I use FV-5 to manually set a lower ISO and manually set the metering point so that it doesn't overexpose the shot, and then I can get great shots in low light. If you don't know a little about cameras or aren't willing to take the time to manually adjust low light shots though, you'll be disappointed. In decent lighting I can get some great shots even with the stock camera app though, especially with HDR.
Current Phones:
Moto X GSM Unlocked

Previous Phones:
HTC One Unlocked, Nexus 4, iPhone 5, Galaxy Nexus, iPhone 4S, HTC One X, Nokia Lumia 800, HTC Titan, Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Infuse, LG Thrill, HTC Inspire, Samsung Captivate, HTC Aria, Samsung BlackJack II