5,594,653 Members 32,774 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Dev Edition or Non Dev Edition

Tip us?

nvertigo
Old
(Last edited by nvertigo; 29th December 2013 at 12:58 PM.)
Thanks Meter 21
Flashaholic on vzw. I really wanted a moto maker but ended up going with the dev edition. Warranty was never a concern, it's just nice to be able to unlock and root so easily without the hassle and being worried about future updates. I don't plan on flashing ROMs with this phone. It definitely doesn't look as good but I guess the developer tag on the back is kinda cool, especially if you are a dev.

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan View Post
...The white woven back is slippery.
You can get something like the XtremeGuards talked about -> HERE <- which solved the slippery problem for me. Or get a case.

But yeah, the retail Verizon black X I had a demo of was definitely more grippy than my VZW Dev Edition X

marvin02
Old
Thanks Meter 405
I just ordered the GSM dev edition. Since I was buying off contract it was the same price as the moto-maker version. They said it might take "up to seven days" to ship.😳
Never ask before searching!
Current Devices: Moto X GSM Dev Edition, LG Gpad 8.3
Retired Devices:
AT&T LG Optimus G, At&T Galaxy Skyrocket, Vizio VTAB1008, Dell Venue, Dell Streak, Moto Flipside, Moto Backflip, Samsung Eternity

liveMike
Old
Thanks Meter 11
dev edition. not sure why anyone would buy anything different if you were paying full price. unlocking the bootloader seems like a must nowadays.

ghstudio
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I bought the VZW developer edition during the sale for the warranty but more important was the flexibility. I use Verizon in the US for coverage but I travel out of the country and I "think" I can convert the moto-x to a GSM phone while travelling. If I'm correct (and that happens about 25% of the time), inserting a GSM (eg ATT/t-mobile/orange/....) Sim in the phone and entering the correct APN (if it's not done automatically), my phone will work on a GSM network (of course with the terms/conditions/minutes/KB of data I've paid for on that Sim).

I don't know if I could do that on a locked phone....(of course, I'm not sure yet if I actually can do this on an unlocked phone).

Derbyman32
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Looking back I probably should have jumped on the Dev Edition on the 1st Monday Promo that went badly for Motorola. After missing out on that I was to tight to pay the full price for the phone and I really like the looks of the MotoMaker phones you could design. My carrier is T-Mobile so I knew I could unlock the bootloader and void the warranty so that is the route I took. I have unlocked the bootloader and rooted all the android phones and I have never bricked one but I know its possible to do. I was more worried aout a defective phone or something wrong not caused by rooting. I really think that the phones are identical to the Dev edition if you bought the 32gb, which I did. Motorola probably will never include them in the warranty but in a way I think they should considering the only differences is cosmetic. I get the whole idea that people mess up the phones and then use warranty to replace so I guess Motorola does not want more exposure unless you specifically order the Dev Edition. Time will tell if I messed up or not on unlocking the bootloader but for now I am $150 better off and that could be sorry one day because of it.
Past Phones:
HD2
G2
Htc Sensation
Galaxy 3
Galaxy Note 2
Nexus 7
Nexus 5
Moto X

vespadaddy
Old
(Last edited by vespadaddy; 31st December 2013 at 05:53 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6
Default tethering

I am on Vzw, with unlimited data, and I want to be able to tether in the car. There may be some apps that allow that, for now, but with an unlocked boot loader, I don't have to worry about ever losing root access, or the ability to tether.
I also plan to use this phone for 2 full years, like I did with my og droid and then the gnex. It is nice to know that if moto stops supporting the device with updates (cough* Samsung gnex*cough), I can flash a rom if I need.

markwebb
Old
(Last edited by markwebb; 31st December 2013 at 11:59 PM.)
Thanks Meter 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derbyman32 View Post
Looking back I probably should have jumped on the Dev Edition on the 1st Monday Promo that went badly for Motorola. After missing out on that I was to tight to pay the full price for the phone and I really like the looks of the MotoMaker phones you could design. My carrier is T-Mobile so I knew I could unlock the bootloader and void the warranty so that is the route I took. I have unlocked the bootloader and rooted all the android phones and I have never bricked one but I know its possible to do. I was more worried aout a defective phone or something wrong not caused by rooting. I really think that the phones are identical to the Dev edition if you bought the 32gb, which I did. Motorola probably will never include them in the warranty but in a way I think they should considering the only differences is cosmetic. I get the whole idea that people mess up the phones and then use warranty to replace so I guess Motorola does not want more exposure unless you specifically order the Dev Edition. Time will tell if I messed up or not on unlocking the bootloader but for now I am $150 better off and that could be sorry one day because of it.
I agree wholeheartedly and am in line with your assessment as I did the same thing though I did not buy the Dev edition but the T-Mobile version and then unlocked it..
Honestly, this phone is not worth the full retail price, Dev edition or not.
But, it is a solid phone and I would recommend it but I feel it won't age gracefully and will be overshadowed quickly if it already hasn't been.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
OG Droid >>> Droid Bionic >>> Samsung Galaxy S4 Dev Edition/Nexus 5/MOTO X
Samsung Chromebook
Nexus 7 2013
Chromecast