5,593,293 Members 34,015 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Dump my Note 3?

Tip us?
 
WizeGuyDezignz
Old
#1  
WizeGuyDezignz's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 783
Posts: 2,501
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Diego
Default Dump my Note 3?

Hey guys, so I'm sitting on my $150 promo code while I consider dumping my Note 3 for a Moto X. Good idea?

I also have a couple questions. Do the active notifications keep breathing until you attend to them or does it stop breathing after a while? I heavily rely on the notification light on my Note 3 so I hope it keeps breathing.

My other question....I am on at&t. Can I root the phone?

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
anirudh412
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 311
Posts: 954
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Delhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizeGuyDezignz View Post
Hey guys, so I'm sitting on my $150 promo code while I consider dumping my Note 3 for a Moto X. Good idea?

I also have a couple questions. Do the active notifications keep breathing until you attend to them or does it stop breathing after a while? I heavily rely on the notification light on my Note 3 so I hope it keeps breathing.

My other question....I am on at&t. Can I root the phone?

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I think you need to ask yourself what dont you like about the Note 3. Also, why not just go and try the phone at any AT&T store?

As for rooting, yes, an AT&T phone can be rooted (I have the AT&T model myself) and yes, the notification keeps breathing until you either a. Unlock the phone, b. read the notification or c. dismiss it
The Following User Says Thank You to anirudh412 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Cubfan99
Old
#3  
Cubfan99's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 42
Posts: 584
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by anirudh412 View Post
As for rooting, yes, an AT&T phone can be rooted (I have the AT&T model myself) and yes, the notification keeps breathing until you either a. Unlock the phone, b. read the notification or c. dismiss it
It is very difficult to root. Pretty complicated and not for any but the most experienced, IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
The Following User Says Thank You to Cubfan99 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
WizeGuyDezignz
Old
#4  
WizeGuyDezignz's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 783
Posts: 2,501
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by anirudh412 View Post
I think you need to ask yourself what dont you like about the Note 3. Also, why not just go and try the phone at any AT&T store?

As for rooting, yes, an AT&T phone can be rooted (I have the AT&T model myself) and yes, the notification keeps breathing until you either a. Unlock the phone, b. read the notification or c. dismiss it
Thanks for the input. The size of the Note 3 bugs me a little bit and the horrible wifi reception are my two main reasons. I went and played with the Moto X today and I was digging it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan99 View Post
It is very difficult to root. Pretty complicated and not for any but the most experienced, IMO.



Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Oh yeah? How hard are we talking? I'm a pretty seasoned android user. Can you link me to the process?



Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
matt99017d
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 162
Posts: 829
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: white city oregon

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizeGuyDezignz View Post
Thanks for the input. The size of the Note 3 bugs me a little bit and the horrible wifi reception are my two main reasons. I went and played with the Moto X today and I was digging it.



Oh yeah? How hard are we talking? I'm a pretty seasoned android user. Can you link me to the process?



Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Its in the original android development. There are two posts. One is for 4.2.2 and the most recent 4.4.


There is a 3rd one but your phone will probably not be on 4.1.

It is not hard.....I don't know squat and was able to nail it. Just follow the instructions to a T and you'll he fine.

Sent from my XT1058 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to matt99017d For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
tnt118
Old
#6  
Member
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 38
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizeGuyDezignz View Post
Hey guys, so I'm sitting on my $150 promo code while I consider dumping my Note 3 for a Moto X. Good idea?

I also have a couple questions. Do the active notifications keep breathing until you attend to them or does it stop breathing after a while? I heavily rely on the notification light on my Note 3 so I hope it keeps breathing.

My other question....I am on at&t. Can I root the phone?

Thanks!
My wife has a note and I have an X. My first inclination is to say they are vastly different phones. I assume you are looking at the overall experience and not so much the cost of the phone.

If the losing the larger screen isn't a deal-breaker for you, then it's not a bad move as long as you are OK with what you are giving up. For multimedia, streaming and all the S-pen "jazz" it's a great device, it really is. I tend to think of the X a little more like a workhorse. Day in and day out it just keeps knocking it out of the park for normal, everyday tasks. Lesser specs, yes, but with all the optimizations it is smooth as butter across the board. In all the years I've had smartphones, I've *never* had one I trust to get me through the day until now (I work until midnight some times and don't always have convenient access to a charger).

I think you'll love the notifications on the X. They keep going as long as you have unaddressed notifications. From that screen you can dismiss them, jump straight into the app the notification is from or just unlock the phone. It's fantastic for dealing with a multitude of work emails, or other things like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to tnt118 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
anirudh412
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 311
Posts: 954
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Delhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan99 View Post
It is very difficult to root. Pretty complicated and not for any but the most experienced, IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Actually all it needs you to do, is go through all pages in the thread. Every single problem has been addressed. And if that's still too complicated, one can always stay on 4.2.2 (Camera OTA) and use the One Click RockMyMoto
 
calmlydefyinglogic
Old
(Last edited by calmlydefyinglogic; 9th December 2013 at 10:10 PM.)
#8  
Member
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 44
Join Date: Oct 2011
I recently sold my Note 3 to pick up a Moto X. I ended up getting a white TMO 16GB Moto X on Cyber Monday that I've had since last Wed. The primary reason that I wanted to get rid of the Note 3 was the overall size. I'm a pretty big dude (6'5 280) so I've got pretty large hands and it still was too much phone to deal with on a daily basis. My hand would literally start hurting/cramping and having a burning sensation all through my knuckles and that gradually worked it's way down my arm. So I got fed up and decided to get rid of it on Craigslist. I will say that the screen quality, expandable storage and battery life on the N3 are the primary things that I missed initially. What I don't miss is the fire burning in my hand and forearm that I felt everyday using it.

So now that I've had my Moto X for a few days now I can say without any doubt that I made the right decision to switch. The ice storm here in Dallas has afforded me the opportunity to have three solid days of quality time with this awesome phone.

Here are some specific points:

The in hand feel is fantastic and I haven't experienced any discomfort at all. The build quality and fit and finish are top notch as well. The N3 just feels cheap and fragile compared to it. It also has a great weight to it that makes it feel very solid. I'm not scared to drop this phone and have it shatter into a million pieces. Even still I ended up ordering a case for it to preserve its pristine condition.

I will definitely say that the difference in screen resolution isn't nearly as noticeable as I thought that it was going to be. The screen on the Moto X is very sharp an vibrant while being extremely responsive. Very deep blacks and somewhat warm whites. The colors absolutely pop with vivid contrast. I can't complain at all about the screen.

The battery life on the N3 was simply insane. The best screen on time that I ever got was right at 8hrs. It was a beast when it came to battery life. That being said I can pull down 5:30-6hrs screen on time with my Moto X. So I can definitely notice a difference but it's not a deal breaker for me. I can live with the battery life that I'm getting with the Moto X. Plus it charges crazy fast.

Expandable memory is probably the biggest issue that I've had. I opted for the 16GB version with the intent of utilizing the 200GBs of cloud storage that I have at my disposal. I've also stopped keeping music stored on my device and use streaming services like Play Music All Access, Spotify and Google Drive via the Beat app. It's been mostly painless but there was some adjusting initially. I had a 32GB N3 with a 64GB SD which is a ton of local storage. Believe it or not I just had to slightly adjust what apps and games to install instead of just installing everything. It has actually had the added bonus of streamlining and focusing my gaming attention. Now I'm having to play a game and beat it to get to the next one. I tend to try and look at the positive side of things.

Now lets get to the best aspect of the Moto X and that's the Motorola software tweaks onboard. I don't know how I ever lived without Active Notifications. It's such an elegant and logical way to handle notifications that it should just be baked into Android. I love that I can just glance over to see quickly what it is without touching my device. Then if I want to get more info I can just press the icon and it displays more detail. Then if I want to address it just swipe up to jump directly respond to it. Simply fantastic! I also like that if I just want to see the time or use my device it knows that I've picked it up and lights up the Active Notifications screen.

I've only recently started using Moto Assist so I can't comment in depth but I can say that its been very useful thus far.
Always listening is also insanely awesome and more useful than I'd imagined. I've never really used voice controls on a phone before simply because they've never been very intuitive or useful. What the Moto X has to offer is completely different beast all together. I've started using it more lately and its really amazing software to have at your disposal. I love that if I want to do a Google search or play some music or respond to a text I can hands free with there simple words... Ok Google Now.

I know... I know, TL; DR.

Bottom Line:

The Moto X is an amazing device out the box and only continually gets better and more useful the more you use it. I don't miss my Note 3 at all. Not even a little bit and now look back on it and think how I ever went without these features. I highly recommend this device and love that I've already got Kit Kat running on it. It makes me excited to see what's next as far as updates and tweaks are concerned.

I hope this somewhat helps someone who is on the fence.

Sent from my XT1053 using xda app-developers app
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to calmlydefyinglogic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Pfhortune
Old
#9  
Pfhortune's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 95
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Nashville, TN
I moved to the Moto X from the Note 3, no regrets at all. I hated Touchwiz. I do miss the SD slot a bit, but I'll live. The active notifications make up for it though, I freaking love them.
iPhone 5s Unlocked (Net10) - Jailbroken 7.0.6
NVIDIA SHIELD - Stock 4.4
Xperia Play R800x - SuperJellyBean 7.0
The Following User Says Thank You to Pfhortune For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
WizeGuyDezignz
Old
(Last edited by WizeGuyDezignz; 10th December 2013 at 01:54 AM.)
#10  
WizeGuyDezignz's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 783
Posts: 2,501
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt118 View Post
My wife has a note and I have an X. My first inclination is to say they are vastly different phones. I assume you are looking at the overall experience and not so much the cost of the phone.

If the losing the larger screen isn't a deal-breaker for you, then it's not a bad move as long as you are OK with what you are giving up. For multimedia, streaming and all the S-pen "jazz" it's a great device, it really is. I tend to think of the X a little more like a workhorse. Day in and day out it just keeps knocking it out of the park for normal, everyday tasks. Lesser specs, yes, but with all the optimizations it is smooth as butter across the board. In all the years I've had smartphones, I've *never* had one I trust to get me through the day until now (I work until midnight some times and don't always have convenient access to a charger).

I think you'll love the notifications on the X. They keep going as long as you have unaddressed notifications. From that screen you can dismiss them, jump straight into the app the notification is from or just unlock the phone. It's fantastic for dealing with a multitude of work emails, or other things like that.
Thanks a lot for the feedback! It's funny because the active notifications are the #1 thing that I'm most excited about.

For some reason I'm a notification junkie. I really rely on them to the point where I won't even consider a phone without at least an led notification light. As a matter of fact, I passed on the HTC One because you simply can barely see that tiny pinhole light that it has.


Quote:
Originally Posted by calmlydefyinglogic View Post
I recently sold my Note 3 to pick up a Moto X. I ended up getting a white TMO 16GB Moto X on Cyber Monday that I've had since last Wed. The primary reason that I wanted to get rid of the Note 3 was the overall size. I'm a pretty big dude (6'5 280) so I've got pretty large hands and it still was too much phone to deal with on a daily basis. My hand would literally start hurting/cramping and having a burning sensation all through my knuckles and that gradually worked it's way down my arm. So I got fed up and decided to get rid of it on Craigslist. I will say that the screen quality, expandable storage and battery life on the N3 are the primary things that I missed initially. What I don't miss is the fire burning in my hand and forearm that I felt everyday using it.

So now that I've had my Moto X for a few days now I can say without any doubt that I made the right decision to switch. The ice storm here in Dallas has afforded me the opportunity to have three solid days of quality time with this awesome phone.

Here are some specific points:

The in hand feel is fantastic and I haven't experienced any discomfort at all. The build quality and fit and finish are top notch as well. The N3 just feels cheap and fragile compared to it. It also has a great weight to it that makes it feel very solid. I'm not scared to drop this phone and have it shatter into a million pieces. Even still I ended up ordering a case for it to preserve its pristine condition.

I will definitely say that the difference in screen resolution isn't nearly as noticeable as I thought that it was going to be. The screen on the Moto X is very sharp an vibrant while being extremely responsive. Very deep blacks and somewhat warm whites. The colors absolutely pop with vivid contrast. I can't complain at all about the screen.

The battery life on the N3 was simply insane. The best screen on time that I ever got was right at 8hrs. It was a beast when it came to battery life. That being said I can pull down 5:30-6hrs screen on time with my Moto X. So I can definitely notice a difference but it's not a deal breaker for me. I can live with the battery life that I'm getting with the Moto X. Plus it charges crazy fast.

Expandable memory is probably the biggest issue that I've had. I opted for the 16GB version with the intent of utilizing the 200GBs of cloud storage that I have at my disposal. I've also stopped keeping music stored on my device and use streaming services like Play Music All Access, Spotify and Google Drive via the Beat app. It's been mostly painless but there was some adjusting initially. I had a 32GB N3 with a 64GB SD which is a ton of local storage. Believe it or not I just had to slightly adjust what apps and games to install instead of just installing everything. It has actually had the added bonus of streamlining and focusing my gaming attention. Now I'm having to play a game and beat it to get to the next one. I tend to try and look at the positive side of things.

Now lets get to the best aspect of the Moto X and that's the Motorola software tweaks onboard. I don't know how I ever lived without Active Notifications. It's such an elegant and logical way to handle notifications that it should just be baked into Android. I love that I can just glance over to see quickly what it is without touching my device. Then if I want to get more info I can just press the icon and it displays more detail. Then if I want to address it just swipe up to jump directly respond to it. Simply fantastic! I also like that if I just want to see the time or use my device it knows that I've picked it up and lights up the Active Notifications screen.

I've only recently started using Moto Assist so I can't comment in depth but I can say that its been very useful thus far.
Always listening is also insanely awesome and more useful than I'd imagined. I've never really used voice controls on a phone before simply because they've never been very intuitive or useful. What the Moto X has to offer is completely different beast all together. I've started using it more lately and its really amazing software to have at your disposal. I love that if I want to do a Google search or play some music or respond to a text I can hands free with there simple words... Ok Google Now.

I know... I know, TL; DR.

Bottom Line:

The Moto X is an amazing device out the box and only continually gets better and more useful the more you use it. I don't miss my Note 3 at all. Not even a little bit and now look back on it and think how I ever went without these features. I highly recommend this device and love that I've already got Kit Kat running on it. It makes me excited to see what's next as far as updates and tweaks are concerned.

I hope this somewhat helps someone who is on the fence.

Sent from my XT1053 using xda app-developers app
Thanks a lot for the detailed info! It was very helpful. Yeah I think I'm really ready for a smaller phone that I can use one handed and feels comfortable in the hand.

Like you said, I'm sure I'll miss the battery life of the Note 3, but I will be ok if I can get 4-5 hours of screen on time.

I'm very curious to see if I will miss any of the Touchwiz features or stock apps. I've owned mostly Samsung phones in the past so it will be interesting to see how well or if I will want to adjust.

I am honestly keeping my expectations very realistic and subdued. I am thinking of this as a 30 day test and rental at worst. I checked and I guess California gets a 30 day return policy rather than the normal 14 day policy which is odd, but I will take it lol.

I see 3 possible conclusions here:

1. I love the phone enough to make it a daily driver and dump my Note 3 and probably make a little money in the process since I got the Moto X for $350.

2. I like the phone enough to keep it but I still prefer my Note 3 as my daily driver and keep the Moto X as a backup phone.

3. I like the phone or just think it's ok but can't find a reason to even keep it as a backup and I return it for a full refund.

As you can see it's no risk for me and a win-win situation.

Thanks again for the input!



Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes