Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,743 Members 43,888 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Moto X for 0.01 June 9 off contract

Tip us?

marcviado
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 53
Default Moto X for 0.01 June 9 off contract

http://www.motorola.com/us/home

What do you guys think? It says you try for 2 weeks then I'm pretty sure you gotta buy the phone on its actual price. Lol just thought it was interesting 0.01 off contract.

alpha-niner64
Old
Thanks Meter 72
I wonder what the marketing team is playing at here. This is a unique way of selling phones.

savini72
Old
Thanks Meter 4
so what if i get one for 2 weeks and then decide i dont want it? do i just send back a customized Moto X with no other charges? seems a little sketchy to me

alpha-niner64
Old
(Last edited by alpha-niner64; 6th June 2014 at 08:57 PM.)
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by savini72 View Post
so what if i get one for 2 weeks and then decide i dont want it? do i just send back a customized Moto X with no other charges? seems a little sketchy to me
It's possible they would require you to ship it back to them on your dime. IMO, this is completely fair. The penny puts your CC on their account. If people decide to take advantage of this for fraudulent reasons, Moto has your CC on their database and can easily charge you the full amount. This also moves units as well and gains exposure for the phone(sounds like their 500M marketing budget was cut). Some people may be convinced to keep the phone because spending the effort to ship back the phone may be too dissuading.

For our benefit, we get to test-run a phone at no risk for 2 weeks and we just have to send it back if we're done. That sounds good to me. Of course if they provide pre-paid labels to send back, then it really is no-risk for us.

savini72
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha-niner64 View Post
It's possible they would require you to ship it back to them on your dime. IMO, this is completely fair. The penny puts your CC on their account. If people decide to take advantage of this for fraudulent reasons, Moto has your CC on their database and can easily charge you the full amount. This also moves units as well and gains exposure for the phone(sounds like their 500M marketing budget was cut). Some people may be convinced to keep the phone because spending the effort to ship back the phone may be too dissuading.

For our benefit, we get to test-run a phone at no risk for 2 weeks and we just have to send it back if we're done. That sounds good to me. Of course if they provide pre-paid labels to send back, then it really is no-risk for us.
Thats what im thinking. i want to try out a Wooden back before i use my code! if i cant get one, try it out and send it back for $.01, thats a no brainer. or even let my girlfriend try it out for 2 weeks and not use her GS3 that she always complains about...(Dont want her to get a iph*ne)

chrisomnia1
Old
Thanks Meter 29
There is no charge to send it back from what i have heard.

br0adband
Old
Thanks Meter 356
No charge for shipping or the return either (you contact FedEx and they send the return packaging and can pick it up as well).

Motorola knows people will attempt to scam them for phones with this, if you read the FAQ for this Try Before You Buy offer they make it clear they can and will remotely brick the phones if you attempt to rip 'em off (not sure there's any actual way to stop that, even with using custom ROMs, etc, I have no idea).

If you do decide to keep one they'll attempt to charge the credit card the full price, and if that doesn't go through they'll then push lawyers on you so, I'm pretty sure they're covered.

Worse comes to worse they can simply push the IMEI to the national blacklist and the phone is dead regardless.

I mean, for a penny, if they're willing to ship me one I'd love to try one out for a time, can just slide my T-Mobile SIM in it and I'm good to go.

<least till this Sprint/T-Mobile and now SoftBank crap gets resolved 'cause if it happens you can be damned sure they're going to kill the $30/month plan so many of us love...>
Currently using nothing at all...

PunishedSnake
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Got my promo code I'd like my wife to try it out

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

She currently has a gs3 I hope it's faster

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

Restola
Old
Thanks Meter 509
They are all out now.

Although if you're willing to put the full price on a credit card (instead of only "paying a penny") you can still try one out for 14 days and return it free if you want.

lisek99
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restola View Post
They are all out now.

Although if you're willing to put the full price on a credit card (instead of only "paying a penny") you can still try one out for 14 days and return it free if you want.
I don't think you can return it if you buy it full price I think you can only exchange it for a different color option.

But anyway I was looking forward for this promotion as I can't stand my note 3 anymore because it's so laggy but when I woke up this morning all the codes were gone

If anyone has a spare one and willing to give it away for free I will gladly take it