Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Moto X for 0.01 June 9 off contract

OP marcviado

6th June 2014, 07:19 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 60
 
490 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
http://www.motorola.com/us/home

What do you guys think? It says you try for 2 weeks then I'm pretty sure you gotta buy the phone on its actual price. Lol just thought it was interesting 0.01 off contract.
6th June 2014, 09:04 AM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 73
 
415 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
I wonder what the marketing team is playing at here. This is a unique way of selling phones.
6th June 2014, 10:05 AM   |  #3  
Member
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 11
 
97 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
so what if i get one for 2 weeks and then decide i dont want it? do i just send back a customized Moto X with no other charges? seems a little sketchy to me
6th June 2014, 09:51 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 73
 
415 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by savini72

so what if i get one for 2 weeks and then decide i dont want it? do i just send back a customized Moto X with no other charges? seems a little sketchy to me

It's possible they would require you to ship it back to them on your dime. IMO, this is completely fair. The penny puts your CC on their account. If people decide to take advantage of this for fraudulent reasons, Moto has your CC on their database and can easily charge you the full amount. This also moves units as well and gains exposure for the phone(sounds like their 500M marketing budget was cut). Some people may be convinced to keep the phone because spending the effort to ship back the phone may be too dissuading.

For our benefit, we get to test-run a phone at no risk for 2 weeks and we just have to send it back if we're done. That sounds good to me. Of course if they provide pre-paid labels to send back, then it really is no-risk for us.
Last edited by alpha-niner64; 6th June 2014 at 09:57 PM.
7th June 2014, 04:40 AM   |  #5  
Member
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 11
 
97 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha-niner64

It's possible they would require you to ship it back to them on your dime. IMO, this is completely fair. The penny puts your CC on their account. If people decide to take advantage of this for fraudulent reasons, Moto has your CC on their database and can easily charge you the full amount. This also moves units as well and gains exposure for the phone(sounds like their 500M marketing budget was cut). Some people may be convinced to keep the phone because spending the effort to ship back the phone may be too dissuading.

For our benefit, we get to test-run a phone at no risk for 2 weeks and we just have to send it back if we're done. That sounds good to me. Of course if they provide pre-paid labels to send back, then it really is no-risk for us.

Thats what im thinking. i want to try out a Wooden back before i use my code! if i cant get one, try it out and send it back for $.01, thats a no brainer. or even let my girlfriend try it out for 2 weeks and not use her GS3 that she always complains about...(Dont want her to get a iph*ne)
7th June 2014, 04:26 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 30
 
170 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2009
There is no charge to send it back from what i have heard.
9th June 2014, 07:04 AM   |  #7  
br0adband's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Las Vegas, NV
Thanks Meter: 389
 
948 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2008
More
No charge for shipping or the return either (you contact FedEx and they send the return packaging and can pick it up as well).

Motorola knows people will attempt to scam them for phones with this, if you read the FAQ for this Try Before You Buy offer they make it clear they can and will remotely brick the phones if you attempt to rip 'em off (not sure there's any actual way to stop that, even with using custom ROMs, etc, I have no idea).

If you do decide to keep one they'll attempt to charge the credit card the full price, and if that doesn't go through they'll then push lawyers on you so, I'm pretty sure they're covered.

Worse comes to worse they can simply push the IMEI to the national blacklist and the phone is dead regardless.

I mean, for a penny, if they're willing to ship me one I'd love to try one out for a time, can just slide my T-Mobile SIM in it and I'm good to go.

<least till this Sprint/T-Mobile and now SoftBank crap gets resolved 'cause if it happens you can be damned sure they're going to kill the $30/month plan so many of us love...>
9th June 2014, 07:20 AM   |  #8  
PunishedSnake's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 39
 
464 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2014
Got my promo code I'd like my wife to try it out

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

She currently has a gs3 I hope it's faster

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
9th June 2014, 03:01 PM   |  #9  
Restola's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Michigan
Thanks Meter: 546
 
1,151 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
They are all out now.

Although if you're willing to put the full price on a credit card (instead of only "paying a penny") you can still try one out for 14 days and return it free if you want.
9th June 2014, 03:31 PM   |  #10  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
46 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restola

They are all out now.

Although if you're willing to put the full price on a credit card (instead of only "paying a penny") you can still try one out for 14 days and return it free if you want.

I don't think you can return it if you buy it full price I think you can only exchange it for a different color option.

But anyway I was looking forward for this promotion as I can't stand my note 3 anymore because it's so laggy but when I woke up this morning all the codes were gone

If anyone has a spare one and willing to give it away for free I will gladly take it

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes