[GUIDE][HOW TO] Downgrade 5.0.2 Lollipop to 4.4.4 KitKat XT1053

Search This thread

tazlooney89

Nov 10, 2011
Mexico D.F.
(The method I tried it myself and it works perfectly and does not cause any problems, however I am not responsible of damage to your phone)

* REQUIREMENTS:

-Unlocked Bootloader
-Firmware T-Mobile 4.4.4 download
-RSD Lite
-ADB & Fastboot drivers
-Notepad++

*INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Download firmware T-Mobile 4.4.4 and extract all zip files.

2. Open the file RETAIL-US_4.4.4_KXA21.12-L1.29.1_2_cid9_CFC_1FF.xml with Notepad++ (preferably) or editor text.

3. Delete lines:

Code:
<step operation="getvar" var="max-download-size" />
<step operation="flash" partition="partition" filename="gpt.bin" MD5="76e5f85606012c083d46f37425c441b1" />
<step operation="flash" partition="motoboot" filename="motoboot.img" MD5="2b664024c8a421245b814e3b7c4c5077" />

4. Save the file and open RSD Lite and upload the edited file in RSD Lite.

5. Turn off the phone and put it into fastboot mode and connect to PC. When RSD Lite recognizes the device and indicate that you are connected press START to realize the downgrade.

6. Wait until the phone reboots and have Android 4.4.4 KitKat back. :good: :)

attached the modified xml file, just change the extension .txt to .xml

IMPORTANT: Do not try to reinstall soak test lollipop, otherwise it may cause brick your phone.​

Attachments

• RETAIL-US_4.4.4_KXA21.12-L1.29.1_2_cid9_CFC_1FF.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 706
Last edited:

athulele

Oct 11, 2011
USA
Isn't this dangerous to do so?
You're skipping the gpt.bin and motoboot which may cause issues with KitKat and skipping these and later upgrading by any OTA has resulted in some bricked devices.
I don't think this is a good idea.

Sent from my Moto X using XDA Free mobile app

hbenz2008

Jan 11, 2008
I believe there are enough warnings about this. This procedure is just ok if for whatever reason somebody wants to have all 4.4.4 but gpt and motoboot.
For any other upgrade or downgrade, anybody interested need to look really hard into it before flashing any isht.
So all good.

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
I believe there are enough warnings about this. This procedure is just ok if for whatever reason somebody wants to have all 4.4.4 but gpt and motoboot.
For any other upgrade or downgrade, anybody interested need to look really hard into it before flashing any isht.
Since people STILL do it, even though it has the very real potential to BRICK phones, and/or cause other issues, I would say we STILL don't have enough warnings...

And we still have threads popping up like this -> http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/moto-x-qa/screwed-t3059954

In my opinion, EVERY post/thread advising people its "OK" or "Safe" to downgrade, should at least include warnings that bricking is possible, before any instructions are presented.

And we have seen threads suggesting to downgrade get locked/deleted

Reactions: Musa95

Apr 18, 2008
(The method I tried it myself and it works perfectly and does not cause any problems, however I am not responsible of damage to your phone)

* REQUIREMENTS:

-Unlocked Bootloader
-RSD Lite
-ADB & Fastboot drivers
-Notepad++

*INSTRUCTIONS:

2. Open the file RETAIL-US_4.4.4_KXA21.12-L1.29.1_2_cid9_CFC_1FF.xml with Notepad++ (preferably) or editor text.

3. Delete lines:

Code:
<step operation="flash" partition="partition" filename="gpt.bin" MD5="76e5f85606012c083d46f37425c441b1" />
<step operation="flash" partition="motoboot" filename="motoboot.img" MD5="2b664024c8a421245b814e3b7c4c5077" />

5. Turn off the phone and put it into fastboot mode and connect to PC. When RSD Lite recognizes the device and indicate that you are connected press START to realize the downgrade.

IMPORTANT: Do not try to reinstall soak test lollipop, otherwise it may cause brick your phone.​
OP, please don't color your text. this is what your post looks like to me:
Capture_zpsbm6xhflj.jpg

also, this is what it looks like when i quote your text:
Capture_zpsmmbq8gdl.jpg

scryan

Oct 19, 2013
OP, please don't color your text. this is what your post looks like to me:
Capture_zpsbm6xhflj.jpg

also, this is what it looks like when i quote your text:
Capture_zpsmmbq8gdl.jpg

Errr, I'm not sure that everyone is going to re-style their posts to work optimally with your browser themes and modifications. It works fine with the standard browsers I checked... Problems on your end.

Kinda misleading to say this "causes no problems" when it will most likely brick any phone that gets an OTA after its done?
I get pretty annoyed how much we refuse to discuss downgrading and associated issues out of fear that people will be educated JUST enough to be dangerous... I'd still rather not rely on safety through ignorance and abstinence... But man it seems like your little red disclaimer should at least mention they have a good chance to ruin their phone if they take an OTA. (Still don't get why everyone here with unlocked bootloaders is so obsessed with OTAs, I have never had a modded phone where people would even consider taking OTAs... Always just wait for a safe flashable version, but apparently the moto x community is different *shrug*)

ken1645

Jun 12, 2006
Houston, TX
Isn't this dangerous to do so?
You're skipping the gpt.bin and motoboot which may cause issues with KitKat and skipping these and later upgrading by any OTA has resulted in some bricked devices.
I don't think this is a good idea.

I tried flashing with the gpt.bin and motoboot still in the XML file but get a "downgrade security detected" and it stops due to trying to downgrade. Is there a better way to flash back to 4.4.4 from 5.0.2?

Getting this when trying to flash gpt.bin: http://i.imgur.com/zkes3kJ.png

edit: I tried only removing the gpt.bin and getvar line and leaving the motoboot line in. Seems to be flashing and working.
I had a strange bug that the battery was stuck at 1% when I removed the motoboot command.
edit2: still having the 1% battery problem. Can't do anything :( :(

edit3: Trying a bold strategy... I replaced the gpt.bin file with the 5.0.2 version of it and flashed the rest of the 4.4.4 files. We'll see what that does. I'm perfectly fine with bricking my phone.
edit4: still getting 1% battery issue. Going to try making it die then fully charging.. Hopefully that will fix it..

Edit5: worked! Killing the battery made it figure out the %and now I'm back on soak test ghost .38. The OTA seemed to work fine both times it updated to 5.0.2 then to the updated soak test.

Last edited:

athulele

Oct 11, 2011
USA
I tried flashing with the gpt.bin and motoboot still in the XML file but get a "downgrade security detected" and it stops due to trying to downgrade. Is there a better way to flash back to 4.4.4 from 5.0.2?

Getting this when trying to flash gpt.bin: http://i.imgur.com/zkes3kJ.png

edit: I tried only removing the gpt.bin and getvar line and leaving the motoboot line in. Seems to be flashing and working.
I had a strange bug that the battery was stuck at 1% when I removed the motoboot command.
edit2: still having the 1% battery problem. Can't do anything :( :(

edit3: Trying a bold strategy... I replaced the gpt.bin file with the 5.0.2 version of it and flashed the rest of the 4.4.4 files. We'll see what that does. I'm perfectly fine with bricking my phone.
edit4: still getting 1% battery issue. Going to try making it die then fully charging.. Hopefully that will fix it..

In this case, if you take an OTA, you'll most likely brick. But if you're fine with it,no problem. Although I don't advise you to do that.

shavo21

Feb 3, 2011
if I have the soak test 5.0.2 retail US, I can do downgrade directly to retail brazil 4.4.4?

demifalcon

Jan 25, 2013
Seattle
So what would happen if u followed this guide but made a TWRP backup of 5.0.2 and then tried to restore to 5.0.2 through TWRP?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

* REQUIREMENTS:

-Unlocked Bootloader
    -RSD Lite
    -ADB & Fastboot drivers
    -Notepad++

*INSTRUCTIONS:

3. Delete lines:

Code:

Since people STILL do it, even though it has the very real potential to BRICK phones, and/or cause other issues, I would say we STILL don't have enough warnings...

And we still have threads popping up like this -> http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/moto-x-qa/screwed-t3059954

In my opinion, EVERY post/thread advising people its "OK" or "Safe" to downgrade, should at least include warnings that bricking is possible, before any instructions are presented.

And we have seen threads suggesting to downgrade get locked/deleted