5,594,748 Members 36,217 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] How to restore app data to your Moto X from another device without root

Tip us?

Lacrocious
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I used Helium to transfer from my Samsung S3 over Moto X. It worked pretty well. Most, but not all apps recovered properly. The ones I really wanted the backup of did work.
  1. First, I used Helium to backup the S3 to my SD Card. I copied the folder from the SDCard to my PC.
  2. Then I backed up the Moto X to the SDCard (internal storage) - thus creating the folder it needs so I know where to put the backup files.
  3. Next, I then copied the S3 backup folders over to the Moto X in the recently created backup folder.
  4. These backups now showed up in Helium, allowing me to restore them onto the Moto X.
It wasn't a 100% success, but close enough for me. I didn't try too hard to try again on the ones that didn't work - I just didn't care enough at that point. I just moved forward with the Modo X. Good Luck

- L

stillthisguy
Old
(Last edited by stillthisguy; 14th January 2014 at 06:35 PM.)
Thanks Meter 353

DONATE TO ME
As a quick note about the Moto X Toolkit. The way it is written right now, backing up a single app would require root, also apps with no data. The options for Apps w/data and Apps/Data/SDCard use adb backup. I should probably update it...
The Following User Says Thank You to stillthisguy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DogzOfWar
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillthisguy View Post
As a quick note about the Moto X Toolkit. The way it is written right now, backing up a single app would require root, also apps with no data. The options for Apps w/data and Apps/Data/SDCard use adb backup. I should probably update it...
First off, Moto X Toolkit is fantastic, so thanks very much for your hard work there!

I do think some more options for non-root users would be popular. A non-scientific survey of users on XDA and the Google+ Moto X community seems to have more non-root power users than you'd think. I think that mostly speaks to how great the X is out of the box.

If you do update the toolkit, I'd be happy to test on my non-root device.
The Following User Says Thank You to DogzOfWar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ssmcquay
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Moto X to Moto X

I had to get a new Moto X (switched carriers) and want to transfer app data between the two phones. I'm not rooted so the toolkit doesn't seem to be working for back-up purposed and Helium doesn't appear to be working (it's just spinning). Any advice?

neeraj1212
Old
Thanks Meter 0
helium is crap,not restoring data,for subway surfer,it gives error,for sms it shows restore,but doesn't actually does it

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogzOfWar View Post
Hi jonezrin,

First, you should just try Helium backup on both devices, and you might get lucky. There are notes that Helium can't RESTORE to Motorola devices though, and that's the purpose for the tips above.

The steps above should work for all Android phones version 4.0 and above. So if you're going from the Droid Maxx to the Moto X, yes, it should work fine.

If you have issues with the Moto X part, please let me know. Installing Helium on your Droid Maxx isn't hard. Typically you just have to install the app from the app store, then install some software for your desktop ( locate here: http://www.clockworkmod.com/carbon ), and then you should be off and running.
not only motorola devices,helium cant backup/restore other phones too

DogzOfWar
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj1212 View Post
helium is crap,not restoring data,for subway surfer,it gives error,for sms it shows restore,but doesn't actually does it

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

not only motorola devices,helium cant backup/restore other phones too
I think the problem with Helium is that it relies on built-in Android backup capabilities and not all OEMs are doing a great job implementing them. Other tools (like Titanium Backup or MyBackup Root) are much more raw, copying entire folder and subfolders (but requiring root access to do so).

Personally, I've had good luck with Helium for backing up at least. Restoring? Not so much, thus the original intent of this article.
Tags
adb, backup, helium, moto x, restore