Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,220 Members 45,843 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE][VIDEO] Moto X - Return to 100% stock (using RSD Lite OR manual flash)

Tip us?

TechSavvy2
Old
(Last edited by TechSavvy2; 22nd December 2013 at 08:13 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 468
Default [GUIDE][VIDEO] Moto X - Return to 100% stock (using RSD Lite OR manual flash)

NOTE, YES, THIS IS A LONG DRAWN OUT VERSION OF WHAT IS ACTUALLY VERY VERY QUICK PROCESS. This is for reference only. I know there are a few people out there just like me who probably had a few small hickups getting back to stock with the firmware. This is to help "spoon-feed" the instructions to you.

Two Methods-
Method 1 - RSD Lite
Method 2 - Manual Flash

If you cannot get RSD Lite to recognize your device, try Method 2, it works like a charm!

Downloads:
I assume you already have adb drivers if you're even here.....otherwise get them from the latest sdk here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
Moto Drivers (Motorola Device Manager): https://motorola-global-portal.custh...ail/a_id/88481
RSD Lite (I used version 6.1.5): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ite_v6.1.x.zip - Extract and use 6.1.5
Stock Firmware: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/ thanks to Skrilax_CZ and Firmware Team
Moto Fastboot exe: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0d...it?usp=sharing - NOTE - YOU MUST UNZIP AND USE THIS WHERE MANUAL FLASH SAYS "mfastboot"

My Setup: Windows 8 machine <--obvious driver issues as usual
My Device: VZW Moto X

METHOD 1 - RSD LITE

Step One - Download and install RSD Lite. At the moment, I can't find where I got mine from, so anyone who wants to add a proper link to it would be appreciated. I used version 6.1.5 and it worked fine.

Step Two - proper driver installation. If you're like me, you probably at one point got drivers quasi-working but here's what I did that worked - download and install "Motorola Device Manager" and it *should* give you the proper drivers. This was necessary (maybe) because I could get adb to recognize my device, as well as fastboot, however RSD refused to see it. This install fixed that.

Step Three - download and install the proper firmware for your device. NOTE: You MUST MUST MUST choose the right firmware for your device or you will FUBAR your phone.....not my responsibility.

Step Four - Unzip your firmware zip file, open it up through the layers and find the file "VZW_XT1060_4.2.2-13.9.0Q2.X-116-MX-17-53_CFC_1FF" or whatever version/carrier/build number file yours is, its the XML Document file. Right click -> Open with.. -> Notepad/word editor/XML Editor/wordpad and find the line:
<step operation="getvar" var="max-download-size" />
^^^You need to select this entire line and just delete it out of the file. This is the line that gives fastboot flash error. Select it, delete it, then resave the file an exit out of it. Done.
NOTE: This is required or the firmware flash will immediately fail giving a "failed flashing process. Unknown fastboot command. (getvar)"
-For the sake of security, and not messing with important files, I'd actually recommend zipping the file back up after this and keeping as your final version (once you've confirmed yours works correctly)

Step Five - Plug in phone, enable USB debugging, then "adb reboot bootloader" - this will boot you into fastboot mode so RSD will recognize your phone

Step Six - Run RSD Lite - note that some people have had trouble and have to right-click run as administrator. In RSD Lite, make sure phone shows up in slot 1 - mine shows up, under Model, just says fastboot, USB port type, info N/A, important part is that it shows as Connected in status. Select the three-dot browse file button, then you can go down into the unzipped file you created of the XML folder, and select the XML file that we just edited earlier (or select the rezipped package). Select open and flash. (or decompress and flash)

Step Eight - Profit

METHOD 2 - MANUAL FLASHING

Much easier AND don't have to deal with getting RSD Lite to work....

Note - this was done on VZW variant, and based on XML file of that particular firmware. Get these instructions from your firmware package XML file.

Note 2 - VERY IMPORTANT!!! - You MUST use mfastboot (Moto fastboot) for the system.img flash as its too large for standard Android fastboot to handle, your flash WILL fail if you use standard fastboot. Hence why it says "mfastboot" this is not a typo.

Code:
fastboot oem fb_mode_set
fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
fastboot flash logo logo.bin
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
mfastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot erase customize
fastboot erase clogo
fastboot oem config carrier vzw
fastboot oem fb_mode_clear
The Following 82 Users Say Thank You to TechSavvy2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

linuxgator
Old
Thanks Meter 65
You forgot to mention that you need to have it charged enough or it won't flash. I think it needs a minimum 30% charge, but 50% or more is recommended.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2

TechSavvy2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxgator View Post
You forgot to mention that you need to have it charged enough or it won't flash. I think it needs a minimum 30% charge, but 50% or more is recommended.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2
Noted. Will add it.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk 4
The Following User Says Thank You to TechSavvy2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

housry23
Old
Thanks Meter 765
Anyone know a way to return to stock using Linux? Can I just fastboot flash the file?
The Following User Says Thank You to housry23 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gunnyman
Old
Thanks Meter 2655

DONATE TO ME
Yes

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Fastboot flash recovery, boot, and system for sure I have no idea what to do with the other image Moto boot or something
Uncle Gunny says, "MAKE A NANDROID"
LG G2 Uncarriered
LG Gpad 8.3 GPE
Rooted and Xposed
Don't be a d*ck -Wil Wheaton
Unlocking and rooting your HTC One with a Mac
Oh BTW I'm fat.
The Following User Says Thank You to gunnyman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

housry23
Old
(Last edited by housry23; 16th September 2013 at 10:31 PM.)
Thanks Meter 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnyman View Post
Yes

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Fastboot flash recovery, boot, and system for sure I have no idea what to do with the other image Moto boot or something
Thanks. I'm pretty sure I can just fastboot flash recovery and then do a factory reset and be back to 100% stock. That's what I'm going to try anyway.

Update, it worked. Just fastboot flash recovery recovery.img then factory reset and my phone is back to stock. Now to send it back to Motorola and get my new one!

gunnyman
Old
Thanks Meter 2655

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by housry23 View Post
Thanks. I'm pretty sure I can just fastboot flash recovery and then do a factory reset and be back to 100% stock. That's what I'm going to try anyway.

Update, it worked. Just fastboot flash recovery recovery.img then factory reset and my phone is back to stock. Now to send it back to Motorola and get my new one!
so flashing JUST recovery removes root?
Uncle Gunny says, "MAKE A NANDROID"
LG G2 Uncarriered
LG Gpad 8.3 GPE
Rooted and Xposed
Don't be a d*ck -Wil Wheaton
Unlocking and rooting your HTC One with a Mac
Oh BTW I'm fat.

thepolishguy
Old
Thanks Meter 179
Quote:
I would go ahead and...

fastboot flash system <insertfilenamehere>.img

...since it would only take a minute or two and would ensure that your system is clean.
ROM supporter. HTC Imagio. Original Droid. Motorola Droid X. Samsung Galaxy S. Sprint Nexus S. Samsung Droid Charge. HTC ThunderBolt. Samasung Galaxy Nexus. Samsung Galaxy Note2. Samsung GalaxyS4. HTC One. MotoX. MotoX Dev Ed. HTC One M8. Samsung Galaxy Note3.

housry23
Old
Thanks Meter 765
Quote:
I just flashed recovery, and then did a factory reset. It removed everything as far as I know.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

kornklown69
Old
(Last edited by kornklown69; 17th September 2013 at 04:33 AM.)
Thanks Meter 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by housry23 View Post

Nvm

Sent from my XT1058 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app