Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,970 Members 49,078 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Republic Wireless Moto X KitKat 4.4.2 Root, Safestrap, TWRP, and MotoWpNoMo

Tip us?

samwathegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 433

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpetersheim View Post
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I was only on 4.4.2. I used RSD Lite to flash 4.2.2 and redo all the steps again.

In the mean time, I think I got it working again. The only thing I did differently was not rebooting between flashing update_SafeStrap_4.4.2_RW.zip; flashing boot, modem, etc; and flashing SuperSU. Before, I rebooted between those steps and had issues. I don't know if there's any correlation there but it appears to have worked fine this round.

Thanks for taking a look.
Please consider re-wording your solution.

While -I- understand that you are using safestrap, and running a 'stock-based 4.4.2 safestrap compatible rom', your core software, AND your bootloader are still on 4.2.2, many will misunderstand you and may end up with bricks.

The only reason you are able to use safestrap and 'run' 4.4.2 is because you never -actually- updated to 4.4.2. If you had, your phone would be a brick because you flashed the 4.2.2 SBF via RSD Lite.

If I were a noob and happened across your post, I might read your post and believe that I can use RSD Lite to 'downgrade' from 4.4.2 to 4.2.2 in order to use safestrap and gain root. This is not the case, however, and downgrading from 4.4.2 to 4.2.2 is one of the few known methods that you can brick your phone.

Glad you were able to get everything back working again!
Remember: the "SEARCH" button will often save you a great deal of time waiting for a reply.

Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

Quote of the year:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doitinthedirt View Post
Well Google now doesn't work worth an iPhone. .I've spoken those last two lines ADB shell commands out loud for the past 15 minutes and I don't get root
The Following User Says Thank You to samwathegreat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tpetersheim
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
You downgraded from 4.4.3 to 4.2.2?

You realize that if that didn't brick you....taking an ota now surely will. And who knows what else?

Its probably messed up what you're trying to accomplish now also.

I'd be very careful what you do from here. And NEVER do an OTA update.

Unless I misread that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat View Post
Please consider re-wording your solution.

While -I- understand that you are using safestrap, and running a 'stock-based 4.4.2 safestrap compatible rom', your core software, AND your bootloader are still on 4.2.2, many will misunderstand you and may end up with bricks.

The only reason you are able to use safestrap and 'run' 4.4.2 is because you never -actually- updated to 4.4.2. If you had, your phone would be a brick because you flashed the 4.2.2 SBF via RSD Lite.

If I were a noob and happened across your post, I might read your post and believe that I can use RSD Lite to 'downgrade' from 4.4.2 to 4.2.2 in order to use safestrap and gain root. This is not the case, however, and downgrading from 4.4.2 to 4.2.2 is one of the few known methods that you can brick your phone.

Glad you were able to get everything back working again!
Thank you for catching my ambiguity. I can see where that could cause a lot of problems. I edited my post to clarify.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tpetersheim For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

a8ksh4
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I just ran through this again on a friend's brand new RW phone... the phones are still shipping with 4.2.2 (yay!), and the update went without a hitch! Thanks again, all, for the amazing work you do on here. We're happy clams here with AdAway, Xposed, and 4.4.2!

erecker
Old
(Last edited by erecker; 4th July 2014 at 11:01 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Default thanks!

Thank you so much for collecting the relevant links and steps in one place - my rooted non-write-protected 4.4.2 MotoX super appreciates you!

P.S. phone arrived from RW (not from motomaker), 7/3/14, with 4.2.2 installed.
The Following User Says Thank You to erecker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

IceMotoX
Old
(Last edited by IceMotoX; 7th July 2014 at 03:22 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by erecker View Post
Thank you so much for collecting the relevant links and steps in one place - my rooted non-write-protected 4.4.2 MotoX super appreciates you!

P.S. phone arrived from RW (not from motomaker), 7/3/14, with 4.2.2 installed.
Has anyone tried Cydia Impactor?

EDIT: Cydia Impactor doesn't work as it doesn't detect the signature bugs . Looks like I won't be able to root my phone as I'm already on 4.4.2 without root.

zrex
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I am with you, I updated to 4.4.2 and just kinda wishing I hadn't moved so quick. Really want root.
----
g1 - galaxy - htc sensation - moto x

samwathegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 433

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMotoX View Post
Has anyone tried Cydia Impactor?

EDIT: Cydia Impactor doesn't work as it doesn't detect the signature bugs . Looks like I won't be able to root my phone as I'm already on 4.4.2 without root.
See the thread titled "China Middleman Back??". There is a possibility of unlocking your bootloader (and hence gaining permanent root). I haven't seen a single person with an RW phone NOT get their code yet.

Good Luck
Remember: the "SEARCH" button will often save you a great deal of time waiting for a reply.

Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

Quote of the year:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doitinthedirt View Post
Well Google now doesn't work worth an iPhone. .I've spoken those last two lines ADB shell commands out loud for the past 15 minutes and I don't get root

brainwash1
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Also this new root tool: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2825059

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Tags
4.4.2, kitkat, republic wireless, root