Hairline cracks - Anyone?

Search This thread

Bill Idol

Aug 4, 2007
San Francisco
Wow, what number did you call because the person I talked to at Motorola kept insisting that I dropped it and and the warranty doesn't cover physical damage

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

I counted 7 of these cracks on my wife's X. I made her put it back in its otterbox commuter, cause she's dropped it several times. Not even attempting any repair or sending it in. I'll get her a new back for peanuts soon and switch them. Not worth pursuing such an inexpensive issue. ?

---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 AM ----------

White X that is.

Just got a RMA today for this issue. Motorola gave no issues doing the exchange. The person I was talking to said it is a known issue with phones with early build dates.

Don't really understand the early build date issue as I just got the GSM Dev version 2 months ago.

They said I would get a brand new phone so we will see what the build date is on the box when I get it.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
Damn you lucked out with moto tech support that you called. The one I called just bull****s me around.

shamelin73

Jul 27, 2010
Dallas
Hello. I have hairline cracks on my DE and I called Moto and they told me that I would have to pay a $100.00 repair fee because the warranty doesn't cover physical damage.
Are you sure the $100 was not just the advanced exchange hold till they received the old unit back.

I had to do this but it is covered and its a know issue. There is a thread on there support site here: https://forums.motorola.com/posts/83eb1c001a

Bill Idol

Aug 4, 2007
San Francisco
Are you sure the $100 was not just the advanced exchange hold till they received the old unit back.

I had to do this but it is covered and its a know issue. There is a thread on there support site here: https://forums.motorola.com/posts/83eb1c001a

Thanks for the site but this guy I talked to was definitely telling me that this type of problem was not covered in the warranty and I will have to pay $100.00 to get it fixed [emoji20] I will try calling again and see what happens. Plus what irritated me was the guy I talked to kept insisting that I dropped my phone and that's why it has a crack. [emoji35]

Last edited:

shamelin73

Jul 27, 2010
Dallas
Here is the support number I called (800) 734-5870.

Also just received the FedEx delivered email too.

Spdfreak34

Feb 28, 2014
I just noticed a few cracks in my bootloader unlocked X. My question is, are they still required to honor the warranty since this is obviously a defect and not cause by me Rooting my phone.

shamelin73

Jul 27, 2010
Dallas
I just noticed a few cracks in my bootloader unlocked X. My question is, are they still required to honor the warranty since this is obviously a defect and not cause by me Rooting my phone.
I would think that the boot loader wouldn't cause the cracks therefore they should have to honor the claim.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

vikramkhalsa

Mar 7, 2012
www.amasingh.com
Happened to me for the 3rd time on my dev ed Moto x. I had them RMA it twice already, I'm really annoyed at this point because I love this phone but don't want to continue with those cracks which may spread or get worse and hurt resale. I guess I'll call them again..

James4.0

Dec 11, 2013
Prince Frederick, MD
No one told me, I asked the rep if I can pay a fee to have the warranty phone be a different model since I was having issues with the DE back cover cracking on multiple replacements.

But, I was off by 1 month from the last warranty replacement phone. The replacement warranty is for 3 months and it has been 4 months since my last warranty replacement phone, so I am not outside the the warranty. I am going to live with my cracked back cover and not pay the $100 repair fee.

Solutions Etcetera

Oct 7, 2012
Sierra Nevada (west slope)
Do you have a tutorial on this? I need to do it...
No, but I think iFixit has a teardown. You also might want to do a search on YouTube.

The back is held on via clips around the perimeter, and an adhesive pad inside. You'll need a small plastic pry tool to release the clips. You should heat the back after the clips are released to soften the adhesive to make it easier to separate the back.

The adhesive is bonded to the NFC antenna. Be careful you do not tug so hard on the antenna that you tear its ribbon near its connector. If you do (I did), you can get a new one from China for under 10 dollars.

There is a ribbon cable from the flash on the back to a zif connector on the front, which is easily removed and reconnected.

The toughest part of this is getting the first few clips released, and then just be patient and methodical on the adhesive. The adhesive is plenty sticky enough to be reused.

I did this twice on my phone as I didn't notice I tore the NFC cable the first time around. TEST NFC before reattaching the new back!

Reactions: glarepate

MoB1us1127

Feb 12, 2016
I've noticed 3 hairline cracks on my Dev. Edition XT1053; one near the sim tray, the other two by the volume rocker. The phone was a resale, bought in mint condition. Since it came into my hands I've had the phone covered with a Griffin Reveal case. But to no avail, the cracks did appear even under most careful handling.

Being that the warranty is most likely over, is there any chance I could purchase a brand new back cover? If so where, and how should I go about it? I am in Malaysia.

Silly as it may be, but I really treasure this phone and won't want to swap it for another, even to newer models presently in the market. Crazy, but that how much I love this phone.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

liveroy

Jun 8, 2007
/dev/null
www.gear-bg.com
I've noticed 3 hairline cracks on my Dev. Edition XT1053; one near the sim tray, the other two by the volume rocker. The phone was a resale, bought in mint condition. Since it came into my hands I've had the phone covered with a Griffin Reveal case. But to no avail, the cracks did appear even under most careful handling.

Being that the warranty is most likely over, is there any chance I could purchase a brand new back cover? If so where, and how should I go about it? I am in Malaysia.

Silly as it may be, but I really treasure this phone and won't want to swap it for another, even to newer models presently in the market. Crazy, but that how much I love this phone.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Retail hybrid original protective shell battery housing door back cover For Motorola Moto x xt1055 phone bags case with 20 color
http://s.aliexpress.com/7bUN3amI
(from AliExpress Android)

I've bought few from this seller, the back panels are genuine and exactly the same quality as the original, the dimple has the M logo too.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just an update;I got off the phone with Motorola warranty repair. They will repair or replace my device and send me a loaner in the meantime ( with a security deposit)...

Not too bad
    Do you have a tutorial on this? I need to do it...
    No, but I think iFixit has a teardown. You also might want to do a search on YouTube.

The back is held on via clips around the perimeter, and an adhesive pad inside. You'll need a small plastic pry tool to release the clips. You should heat the back after the clips are released to soften the adhesive to make it easier to separate the back.

The adhesive is bonded to the NFC antenna. Be careful you do not tug so hard on the antenna that you tear its ribbon near its connector. If you do (I did), you can get a new one from China for under 10 dollars.

There is a ribbon cable from the flash on the back to a zif connector on the front, which is easily removed and reconnected.

The toughest part of this is getting the first few clips released, and then just be patient and methodical on the adhesive. The adhesive is plenty sticky enough to be reused.

I did this twice on my phone as I didn't notice I tore the NFC cable the first time around. TEST NFC before reattaching the new back!