5,597,937 Members 38,565 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Hairline cracks - Anyone?

Tip us?

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 161
Are people with the problem storing the phone in a pocket where it gets stressed when you sit down etc? Obviously the casing is too brittle, just wondering if it cracking from flexing when in a pocket.
Deep in the Heart of the State of the Art with my Moto X.

kj2112
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1633
None on mine....but it's been in an otter box from the get go.

Sent from my Moto X cellular telephone...

JoeSchmoe007
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I am looking to buy this phone and would like to know: all these cracks seem to be on the back cover, correct? If so - isn't it user-replaceable? Why is there a need to send it in for repair?

mercado79
Old
(Last edited by mercado79; 11th February 2014 at 04:45 AM.)
Thanks Meter 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post
I am looking to buy this phone and would like to know: all these cracks seem to be on the back cover, correct? If so - isn't it user-replaceable? Why is there a need to send it in for repair?
The Moto G's back cover is user replaceable, not the Moto X.
Moto X
Stable ROM: Eclipse 3.2.1 via Safestrap (Kit Kat 4.4.2)

Google Nexus 7 FHD
Stable ROM: Rastakat
Alt ROM: Stock Rooted

Hikikomori-Otaku
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post
Yes, the majority of these cracks seem to be on the back cover. The back is not supposed to be user replaceable on the Moto X. It doesn't look to be too difficult to remove the back as it's just tabs and one big glue spot. Here's the iFixit teardown so you can see how to remove the backing.
If my username is too difficult to say, just call me Kiri (^^)

jaypeezee
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Just an update;

So I've been happily using my loaner phone while my original X was being repaired. Today FedEx dropped off my original phone, un-repaired. Same hairline cracks, absolutely no changes to the phone. Called the warranty department, explained my frustrations, and the rep could only "speculate" that it wasn't repaired because they deemed it physical abuse yet, nothing in the repair notes state that.... While typing this reply, Motorola called me back asking if I wanted to keep the loaner phone instead of re-sending my original back in for repair. So after 2 weeks, a minor mess up on Motorolas part, I've got a brand new phone.

TLDR; after a slight hiccup, Motorola replaced my old phone with a brand new device.

romichaeli8
Old
Thanks Meter 0
So what should I do if I planed to buy this device? I don't eat a device that will crack without any reason

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

kj2112
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1633
Quote:
Originally Posted by romichaeli8 View Post
So what should I do if I planed to buy this device? I don't eat a device that will crack without any reason

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Wouldn't it be easier to eat if it cracks up easy?

And seriously. These are a handful of people posting about this issue. That really doesn't mean its all devices. Or this thread would have hundreds of posts reporting the issue.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk