Hairline cracks - Anyone?

Search This thread

jaypeezee

Aug 16, 2008
Anyone else notice hairline cracks forming around their Moto X... I have a white X so it's a little more noticeable because the contrast (dirt). I have one at the top (center) near the headphone port, and two on each side of the volume rocker. This reminds me of the iPhone 3GS problems. Another question I have for those that DO have them, have you contacted Motorola for service/warranty replacement?

jaypeezee

Aug 16, 2008
Thanks for the link... I didn't even check the sim tray side... Seems as if I'm not the only one

jaypeezee

Aug 16, 2008
Just an update;I got off the phone with Motorola warranty repair. They will repair or replace my device and send me a loaner in the meantime ( with a security deposit)...

Not too bad

Reactions: glarepate

Anthony445

Jul 19, 2010
Ya I got three. Two on the Sim card side and one on the volume rocker side. Seems decently solid still so I won't be taking it in.I might tho lol.

croweski

Sep 19, 2010
Not for sure who your carrier is but I had the same issue.... Called AT&T. They're aware of this issue. Received a new x in the mail the next day under warranty!

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

D

Darth

If this minor flaw is a common thing....I'd rather just keep my phone.....rather than get another that will probably do the same thing. My phone works flawless. What if I got a less flawless phone in return. Lol

Sent from my Moto X cellular telephone...

StATicxTW0T

Jul 9, 2013
I had the same issue with a white woven back. One by the sim tray and one by the audio jack, but they only really showed up once i removed the back cover. I've since swapped it out with a wooden back (Walnut i think?) where i haven't had any of the same issues.

brian Marshall

Mar 1, 2012
I haven't noticed any. I waited a couple months to order my phone so it's not from the first run. Perhaps they improved the material later.

mercado79

Oct 4, 2008
Boston, MA
First run black VZ model here. I noticed a couple near the SIM tray. Think they showed up last month. Nothing major, but if it spreads... Then I'll look into warranty repair / replacement.

Sent from my Moto X

Steve-x

Sep 28, 2013
Langley, BC
Are people with the problem storing the phone in a pocket where it gets stressed when you sit down etc? Obviously the casing is too brittle, just wondering if it cracking from flexing when in a pocket.

D

Darth

None on mine....but it's been in an otter box from the get go.

Sent from my Moto X cellular telephone...

JoeSchmoe007

Mar 4, 2011
I am looking to buy this phone and would like to know: all these cracks seem to be on the back cover, correct? If so - isn't it user-replaceable? Why is there a need to send it in for repair?

Konno_Yuuki

Jan 13, 2014
«ALO»
I am looking to buy this phone and would like to know: all these cracks seem to be on the back cover, correct? If so - isn't it user-replaceable? Why is there a need to send it in for repair?

Yes, the majority of these cracks seem to be on the back cover. The back is not supposed to be user replaceable on the Moto X. It doesn't look to be too difficult to remove the back as it's just tabs and one big glue spot. Here's the iFixit teardown so you can see how to remove the backing.

jaypeezee

Aug 16, 2008
Just an update;

So I've been happily using my loaner phone while my original X was being repaired. Today FedEx dropped off my original phone, un-repaired. Same hairline cracks, absolutely no changes to the phone. Called the warranty department, explained my frustrations, and the rep could only "speculate" that it wasn't repaired because they deemed it physical abuse yet, nothing in the repair notes state that.... While typing this reply, Motorola called me back asking if I wanted to keep the loaner phone instead of re-sending my original back in for repair. So after 2 weeks, a minor mess up on Motorolas part, I've got a brand new phone.

TLDR; after a slight hiccup, Motorola replaced my old phone with a brand new device.

romichaeli8

May 13, 2012
So what should I do if I planed to buy this device? I don't eat a device that will crack without any reason

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

D

Darth

So what should I do if I planed to buy this device? I don't eat a device that will crack without any reason

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Wouldn't it be easier to eat if it cracks up easy? ;)

And seriously. These are a handful of people posting about this issue. That really doesn't mean its all devices. Or this thread would have hundreds of posts reporting the issue.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Tek20

Nov 15, 2013
Mine has hairline cracks on the edge of the back cover. These happened from dropping it in its protective case. 0 damage on the actual phone except for these cracks.

Seems like a weak cover. Anybody eles?

savini72

Oct 16, 2010
Boston
i had one on the very back, up the V on verizon and it was about 1 1/2 inches long. told Motorola and i got a code for a new one. hope they can help you out!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just an update;I got off the phone with Motorola warranty repair. They will repair or replace my device and send me a loaner in the meantime ( with a security deposit)...

Not too bad
    Do you have a tutorial on this? I need to do it...
    No, but I think iFixit has a teardown. You also might want to do a search on YouTube.

The back is held on via clips around the perimeter, and an adhesive pad inside. You'll need a small plastic pry tool to release the clips. You should heat the back after the clips are released to soften the adhesive to make it easier to separate the back.

The adhesive is bonded to the NFC antenna. Be careful you do not tug so hard on the antenna that you tear its ribbon near its connector. If you do (I did), you can get a new one from China for under 10 dollars.

There is a ribbon cable from the flash on the back to a zif connector on the front, which is easily removed and reconnected.

The toughest part of this is getting the first few clips released, and then just be patient and methodical on the adhesive. The adhesive is plenty sticky enough to be reused.

I did this twice on my phone as I didn't notice I tore the NFC cable the first time around. TEST NFC before reattaching the new back!