5,593,293 Members 33,404 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Are you happy with the Moto X screen?
Extremely happy. Nice screen, great battery. 64 70.33%
Pretty happy, but wouldn't mind a bump up to 1080p 26 28.57%
The screen is crap. I need higher rez 1 1.10%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Happy with the 720p screen?

Tip us?

DogzOfWar
Old
(Last edited by DogzOfWar; 20th February 2014 at 07:18 PM.) Reason: added URL
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Default Happy with the 720p screen?

I've seen a couple of articles talking about the Samsung Galaxy S5, which is rumored to have a QHD 2k screen ( 2560 x 1440).

Just curious what others thought. Personally, I went from the HTC Rezound (which was also a 720p screen, but smaller at 4.3", so a higher PPI) to the Moto X, but I love the Moto X screen. I honestly can't imagine having a screen that's any sharper. I almost don't want a higer-rez screen, since it would probably just be a waste of battery power.

I'm sure there are some folks who are spec-oriented, but I feel all of the trade-offs made by the Moto X (720p screen, dual core, etc) were exactly right. Great screen, great battery, responsive UI, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to DogzOfWar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

eksasol
Old
Thanks Meter 665
The newer SOCs well be more efficient, it won't have issues delivering fast performance for 1080p while getting good battery if well optimized, especially if reduced to dual core like the MotoX.

The MotoX screen have RGB matrix so it would have more subpixels than a Pentile and Diamond matrix AMOLED screen of the same resolution.

sent via tapatalk

sman789
Old
Thanks Meter 15
I switched from the HTC One which had the most amazing screen. The Moto X is fine by all means though, it's vibrant and clear and 720P is more than adequate. I think I'm a sucker for AMOLED as well, the blackest of blacks, I'll never go backs. I've owned a GNex and a Note 1 and I feel this AMOLED is calibrated very well. Not quite as cartoony looking as my brother's Note 3.
Currently Rocking: Moto X+Nexus 7 2013+Chromebook C720P
Gone Baby Gone:iPhone>iPhone 3GS>iPhone 4>iPhone 5>Gnexus>Note i717>HTC One | Nexus 7 + Chromebook S3 3G
The Following User Says Thank You to sman789 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

imnuts
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2937

DONATE TO ME
The screen is 4.x" diagonally. If you can see a difference between 720p and 1080p, you need to take off your magnifying glasses and move the phone away from your face. While I'm all about bigger and better specs, a 2k res screen on a phone isn't necessary.
Setup a Development Environment
Setup and Use the Android SDK
Stock Odin Restore files

You can find the answer to all of your questions right here. If that doesn't work, then try this or this
The Following User Says Thank You to imnuts For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chaoslimits
Old
Thanks Meter 128
Yes
Moto Droid X (sold) > Samsung Galaxy (sold) > Moto X Dev ED
Useful post, there's a THANKS button for that

kj2112
Old
Thanks Meter 1599
Yes. Samsung can make a millionp screen and I still wouldn't touch them. Lol

Sent from my Moto X cellular telephone...
The Following User Says Thank You to kj2112 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 161
The Moto X was engineered to be the best balance of hardware/screen/size/battery etc available. To that end the 720p screen is perfect. When the same balance can be achieved with a higher resolution screen then I will want it.

You will notice this is very similar to how Apple engineers a phone, no hardware is included that isn't optimized and balanced. They don't force a feature into the phone for the sake of marketing that really hurts the overall product balance.
Deep in the Heart of the State of the Art with my Moto X.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve-x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

someguyatx
Old
Thanks Meter 344
The MotoX screen is fine but not as good as other Android like S4. I am happy with battery life and screen on time though so its a trade off.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

edthesped
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguyatx View Post
The MotoX screen is fine but not as good as other Android like S4. I am happy with battery life and screen on time though so its a trade off.

My only reference is my GS3 and the screen on the X is every bit as nice.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

someguyatx
Old
Thanks Meter 344
Yes the X screen is nicer than GS3

The Following User Says Thank You to someguyatx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]