Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,083 Members 50,134 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Homemade Moto Skip without buying official Skip

Tip us?

AaronCompNetSys
Old
Thanks Meter 55
It's both, try it and see. My app prompted to overwrite the tag itself, I'm not sure if all tags are writable.

justinktriggs
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I could be mistaken, but it seems as if Nova Launcher is only used to get to the setup for the Skip. If this is the case, you can also get into the Skip setup through the regular settings menu. Go into settings, and under "Personal", tap "Security". Tap "Screen Lock" and from the next menu, select "NFC Unlock". This takes you to the Skip Setup without having to have Nova Launcher. I don't personally have Skip or a DIY alternative, so I make no guarantees that this will work.

Would love it if this method works.

racer83l
Old
(Last edited by racer83l; 13th January 2014 at 08:28 PM.)
Thanks Meter 9
I have 2 skips and just got rid of my X's... if the OP wants to message me their info (must be in the US) I can drop one in the mail. (sort of a thanks for posting this tip) The second one I will send out to whomever sends me a message.
The Following User Says Thank You to racer83l For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rendang
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer83l View Post
I have 2 skips and just got rid of my X's... if the OP wants to message me their info (must be in the US) I can drop one in the mail. (sort of a thanks for posting this tip) The second one I will send out to whomever sends me a message.
I've been following this thread closely and am looking forward to enabling Skip (as soon as I get a hold of some NFC tags).

racer83l, I'd love to get the 2ns skip from you if you still have it. PM sent.

Vivjen
Old
(Last edited by Vivjen; 15th January 2014 at 12:47 AM.)
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbass View Post
Nice!! Was interested in a skip but not the $15 price tag
For $15 you'll get four tags. Three stickers from Skip might be glued inside of remote control from car. It will be cheaper, than $4 per piece

trrubicon06
Old
Thanks Meter 29
I just got some tags and keychains in today from Amazon. $14 shipped for 10 tags, plus 2 keychains. They work perfect.

One keychain, I hollowed it out on the back as far as I could. Then epoxied a Neo magnet in it. Covered with sticker to hide. The magnet does not sit flush, since I started to see what I guess was the actual tag inside. It works though and the sticker hides the magnet.

Sent from my XT1060 using xda app-developers app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1389931779680.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	2520937   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1389931830219.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	2520940   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1389931851779.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	2520941  

trrubicon06
Old
Thanks Meter 29
I will add... if you ever want to use your non Moto tag for anything else later...don't format with the Skip app. I basically have a Skip keychain now, that will never have another use, lol.

I haven't used this yet, but the app in the link below is supposed to write the nfc header onto your tag without making it read-only. After that, then you can setup with the Skip app.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2469994

theperson333
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by trrubicon06 View Post
I will add... if you ever want to use your non Moto tag for anything else later...don't format with the Skip app. I basically have a Skip keychain now, that will never have another use, lol.

I haven't used this yet, but the app in the link below is supposed to write the nfc header onto your tag without making it read-only. After that, then you can setup with the Skip app.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2469994

Can someone pls scan their DIY skiptag with taginfo by nxp (from playstore) and export the tag analysis. Would be interesting to see what is written to the tag and also how much memory It would take.
Devices
Xperia m c1905(a perfect companion for mn2)

Samsung Galaxy mini

SmartWatch(mn2)

Nokia 6500

Instead of typing thanks, why not press thanks if I helped you?

mandrsn1
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by theperson333 View Post
Can someone pls scan their DIY skiptag with taginfo by nxp (from playstore) and export the tag analysis. Would be interesting to see what is written to the tag and also how much memory It would take.
You will need to use a non-Motorola NFC device to do this. The motorola kernel intercepts skip tags before the system-wide NFC service sees them. They don't show up in tag reader after turned into skip tags.

Tags
homemade, moto skip, moto x, nfc tags