Ask a question

No registration required

How I Achieved Root on 4.4 Dev Edition

OP overthatscreen

1st February 2014, 08:44 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 23

187 posts
I know it seems like there's a lot of threads on Rooting already, but I was having the hardest time trying to find the correct thread for me because of the different variants of the Moto X. So I figured I'm not the only lost soul around here and wanted to take help someone else out. So here's I achieved Root after updating to Android 4.4. Keep in mind, Rooting Android 4.4 forced me to Reset my device and clear everything on it. I really didn't have a problem with it because I just got my device on 1/30/14.

1. Unlock the Bootloader
---- I made it easy on myself and followed QBKING77 on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sxgz7jxRMw
I have been following his tutorials since the days of the old htc EVO, great guy..

2. Install TWRP and SuperSU
---- I followed "" Guide for Unlocked Bootloaders "" by dray_jr http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2603358

There are a few problems here though.

At Step 2: After installing the SDK, to make things easy for me I have always created a folder name "" Android "" at the root of the C drive and copied the SDK contents: eclipse, sdk, SDK Manager.exe, to it. It just makes it easier for me. So it in turn sets my path for the fastboot to C:\android\sdk\platform-tools

At Step 3: Make sure to copy TWRP "" twrp-2.6.3.1-ghost-4.4.img "" along with "" mfastboot.exe "" into the directory that your fastboot.exe is located. In my case it would be the C:\android\sdk\platform-tools directory.

After flashing the Recovery, the command "fastboot reboot recovery" didn't work for me. It doesn't have that command available. Instead, go to your phone and use your Volume Down button to choose Recovery on the Fastboot Menu and use the Volume Up button to select. I repeat, use the Volume Up button to select Recovery. I am so used to using the Power button to select that it kept turning the phone off and rebooting since I still had the USB cable plug into the phone. So learn from my mistake and don't waste your time by pressing the Power button.

Other than that, the rest of the instructions from the above guides worked for me. So thanks to qbking77 and dray_jr for their tutorials.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to overthatscreen For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st February 2014, 09:27 PM   |  #2  
Flag Louisville
Thanks Meter: 347

1,285 posts
More
I didn't know qbking77 did motox videos. He was great in the GS2 and GS4 forums.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
1st February 2014, 10:49 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 2

21 posts
Thanks a lot, this was very helpful...pretty much every other thread in existence had me believing it was much more complicated than this and i wasted many hours before I saw this.
2nd February 2014, 08:52 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 8

70 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay10826

Thanks a lot, this was very helpful...pretty much every other thread in existence had me believing it was much more complicated than this and i wasted many hours before I saw this.

Yeah I wish I'd seen this 24 hours ago. I had to figure much of this out myself. I swear it was easier to unlock and root my old GNex than it was to unlock and root my "unlockable" Verizon Developer Edition Moto X!
2nd February 2014, 04:13 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 163

652 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Stone

Yeah I wish I'd seen this 24 hours ago. I had to figure much of this out myself. I swear it was easier to unlock and root my old GNex than it was to unlock and root my "unlockable" Verizon Developer Edition Moto X!

Well it should have been easier. That was a nexus....

Seriously though, how hard was this? Unlock bootloader given website key and flash TWRP and flash superSU zip. Took like 2 minutes. Of course it could be longer if you needed to figure out the Sdk.

Sent from my Dev Edition Moto X
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Schaweet For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd February 2014, 07:58 PM   |  #6  
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 4,871

13,383 posts
More
Maybe I'm wrong....but with the boot loader unlocked....I'm pretty sure rooting this and my N7 was the exact same procedure.

Sent from my Moto X cellular telephone...
2nd February 2014, 09:35 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 8

70 posts
It was just annoying to have to jump through hoops just to GET the Unlock code, which was several lines of gobbledygook that had to be transcribed carefully and then retyped. Some people (like me) aren't conversant with ADB and command windows and such. (Yes I know, maybe people like me shouldn't be rooting around under the hood of our phones.)
2nd February 2014, 09:54 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 14

83 posts
May end up ordering a GSM Developer Edition tomorrow. I believe it's the same procedure as outlined here. Can someone confirm this.
2nd February 2014, 09:57 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 56

280 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry62

May end up ordering a GSM Developer Edition tomorrow. I believe it's the same procedure as outlined here. Can someone confirm this.

Yeah, all I did was unlock the bootloader, install TWRP, then installed the SuperSU zip and when I rebooted I was rooted.
3rd February 2014, 01:27 AM   |  #10  
Flag Michigan
Thanks Meter: 550

1,161 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Stone

It was just annoying to have to jump through hoops just to GET the Unlock code, which was several lines of gobbledygook that had to be transcribed carefully and then retyped. Some people (like me) aren't conversant with ADB and command windows and such. (Yes I know, maybe people like me shouldn't be rooting around under the hood of our phones.)

Next time copy the cmd text into notepad then copy/paste from there.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread