Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Chromecast – XDA TV

There is no doubt that Amazon is a huge player in many markets, and they want to be a huge … more

Fight the Heat and Conserve Battery with EaseUS Coolphone

Memory hungry Android applications are often responsible for making our device … more

Battery Charged in 30 Seconds? Maybe in 2016

Phones and tablets are getting more and more power hungry with each passing generation. Their … more

ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

How I Achieved Root on 4.4 Dev Edition

OP overthatscreen

7th February 2014, 12:11 PM   |  #21  
Thanks Meter: 29

130 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAce22

After i follow the above steps for my GSM Moto X Developer Edition with Android 4.4, will i still be able to get OTA updates as long as I keep the stock ROM ? I like the stock ROM anyways. Also any issues with the hands free "OK Google Now" voice feature after rooting and unlocking bootloader?

TWRP itself is designed to allow you to take OTAs.

But for one people have reported that the twrp version out there reports the phone as 1060 but the ota is looking for "ghost" (or it might be the other way around)
But the real issue is that historically moto's OTAs do a system check and won't run if there is anything modified in system (the installation of twrp modifies system)

So, short answer: no, you have to flash stock system and recovery before taking an OTA. (or you can wait for fastboot files and flash them)

No, no issues with any features after unlocking / rooting

Sent from my XT1052 using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread