No registration required

How to get the most out of a 1 button headset

OP APeaceofStrange

5th July 2014, 01:02 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Miami
Thanks Meter: 71

506 posts
As someone who listens to music very often on my phone, I have always been jealous that iPhone users have so many choices of 3 button headsets that not only control media, but volume as well. There are some 3 button headsets that work for some android devices, but as far as I know, none of them work with the moto x. Personally I am looking for my headset to have 5 functions:

-play/pause
-next track
-previous track
-volume down
-volume up

I have recently figured out how to find a setup that achieves this with minimum inconvenience. There are many apps in the playstore that add more functionality to 1 button headsets, but they have 2 issues that I have have seen.

1) they allow the user at most 4 functions
2) they break the lock screen music controls that were introduced in ICS.

Problem #1 can be fixed by an app I recently discovered that allows you to program up to 5 clicks on your headset and therefore allows me the 5 functions I'm looking for. The app can be found here https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...de.degausslabs

There is unfortunately no way to fix the 2nd problem. There are 3rd party music widgets that can be placed on the lock screen, but they are inconsistent at best with google play music. The work around I have found is to use The app Nils lockscreen notification: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...icationswidget
This app can display the notifications you allow it to over the lock screen as a widget. I am only allowing it access to music right now, but you can allow it access to any notification. Now when I listen to music, my lock screen looks like:

I know there are other solutions if you're rooted or on a custom rom , but this will work stock. Hopefully this information is useful to those who want 3 button functionality on a 1 button headset.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to APeaceofStrange For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th July 2014, 03:57 AM   |  #2  
Flag Las Vegas, NV
Thanks Meter: 375

934 posts
More
The actual media player can have a great effect on that functionality as well. I use GoneMAD which has options that allow me to create whatever I want using just a 1-button remote with a variety of button presses/sequences, no extra app required.
6th July 2014, 04:07 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Miami
Thanks Meter: 71

506 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by br0adband

The actual media player can have a great effect on that functionality as well. I use GoneMAD which has options that allow me to create whatever I want using just a 1-button remote with a variety of button presses/sequences, no extra app required.

True. I was going on the assumption that most people use Google play music, but I'm sure many are still using others.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread