Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,851 Members 47,041 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to root 4.4.2 Att and Vzn guide (tethered)

Tip us?

super65man
Old
(Last edited by super65man; 9th June 2014 at 02:42 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Post How to root 4.4.2 Att and Vzn guide (tethered)

Before we start this you will need a few files, you need jcases pie root, the android sdk and the drivers installed for your device.

I've included his package from his thread.

Now I installed SuperSU first before even starting the root process because root isn't needed to just instal the app itself, it will just close once it's open.

Make sure you enable USB debugging and unknown sources before continuing. Extract the two files pie.jar and root.sh to the folder "platform-tools"
This folder should be on your desktop, at least thats where I put adt-bundle folder at. Once placed in to the folder hold shift and right and select "open command window here" and your command prompt should pop up. Connect your device and make sure you're powered on. Type "adb devices" and you should get an access message on your phone just give your phone the authorization. Type "adb devices" once more to make sure your device is listed.

Now to Semi-root the phone

These are to be entered one by one, just copy and paste them one by one.
adb push pie.jar /data/local/atvc
adb push root.sh /data/local/atvc
adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/atvc/root.sh
adb shell /data/local/atvc/root.sh

Your phone itself should disconnect from your computer (at least thats what mine did) and reconnect.

So far I haven't figured out how to work exposed but busy box and adblock plus and other simple root apps work just fine.

Remember this is a tethered root so if you shut off your phone you will have to redo the process every single time you do a hard reboot. Soft reboots work without problems, so unless your battery dies you really have no reason to restart your phone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to super65man For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hovax615@hotmail.com
Old
Thanks Meter 309
I believe @jcase is the developer of the root method and he has instructions for his method on his thread. You are stealing and violating XDA policies! Please report to any mod

MOTO X

samwathegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 1,355

DONATE TO ME
I imagine he thought he was being helpful...but yeah, OP should take the link down, and instead, post a link to @jcase 's thread....unless he has given you explicit permission to re-post his file.
Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Looking for a new carrier? Check out Republic Wireless!
Plans starting at $10 for unlimited talk/text and $25 with unlimited data.
Use this link to save $20. RW is my carrier and I couldn't be happier with them.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

Donate to me via BitCoin - 1samwaLJ7EdQFGME1dkUGPFZywUEKnXcT

collinjames
Old
Thanks Meter 13
As far as using Xposed, OP, you need to download the latest framework from here.
Next, open the app and select Framework. To install, click the very first option which is "Install/Update". (NOTE: Classical installation mode will not work with this type of root!)
After installing the framework it will prompt you for a reboot. Select cancel and then on the same screen as the Install/Update button select the second to last option labeled "Soft Reboot". This is the only kind of reboot you can do to preserve root!
The Following User Says Thank You to collinjames For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jcase
Old
Forum Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Taco Vendor
Thanks Meter 7,199

DONATE TO ME
Please delete my binaries, as i update them from time to time, and the ones here would not be updated.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...vices-t2771623 is the supported guide, with up to date binaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by super65man View Post
Before we start this you will need a few files, you need jcases pie root, the android sdk and the drivers installed for your device.

I've included his package from his thread.

Now I installed SuperSU first before even starting the root process because root isn't needed to just instal the app itself, it will just close once it's open.

Make sure you enable USB debugging and unknown sources before continuing. Extract the two files pie.jar and root.sh to the folder "platform-tools"
This folder should be on your desktop, at least thats where I put adt-bundle folder at. Once placed in to the folder hold shift and right and select "open command window here" and your command prompt should pop up. Connect your device and make sure you're powered on. Type "adb devices" and you should get an access message on your phone just give your phone the authorization. Type "adb devices" once more to make sure your device is listed.

Now to Semi-root the phone

These are to be entered one by one, just copy and paste them one by one.
adb push pie.jar /data/local/atvc
adb push root.sh /data/local/atvc
adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/atvc/root.sh
adb shell /data/local/atvc/root.sh

Your phone itself should disconnect from your computer (at least thats what mine did) and reconnect.

So far I haven't figured out how to work exposed but busy box and adblock plus and other simple root apps work just fine.

Remember this is a tethered root so if you shut off your phone you will have to redo the process every single time you do a hard reboot. Soft reboots work without problems, so unless your battery dies you really have no reason to restart your phone.
I'm taking a break of an undetermined length. Please don't contact me about exploits

Something important? jcase@cunninglogic.com
Like Android security topics? Join our G+ community -> https://plus.google.com/communities/...07618051049043
My Bitcoin address : 1Newifz6yETTmbziCsZZstmHHPH6ejNr75
The Following User Says Thank You to jcase For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

super65man
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcase View Post
Please delete my binaries, as i update them from time to time, and the ones here would not be updated.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...vices-t2771623 is the supported guide, with up to date binaries
I try to make a simple guide for people who don't want to dig and they get mad..... If I wanted to take the fame of you would I even have credited you at all? lol Man I had to go to a complete different site in order to learn because I was to lazy to dig through yours. My bad if it upset you man, as for everyone else I could care less, you can't please everyone.

jcase
Old
(Last edited by jcase; 9th June 2014 at 02:56 AM.)
Forum Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Taco Vendor
Thanks Meter 7,199

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by super65man View Post
I try to make a simple guide for people who don't want to dig and they get mad..... If I wanted to take the fame of you would I even have credited you at all? lol Man I had to go to a complete different site in order to learn because I was to lazy to dig through yours. My bad if it upset you man, as for everyone else I could care less, you can't please everyone.
I did not accuse you of anything, I simply asked that you remove the binary so that I could have a centralized point of distribution, to help prevent distribution of older binaries.

IE if you had took the first release, everyone who used your guide would be back here complaining, and blaming me since I can't update this guide.
I'm taking a break of an undetermined length. Please don't contact me about exploits

Something important? jcase@cunninglogic.com
Like Android security topics? Join our G+ community -> https://plus.google.com/communities/...07618051049043
My Bitcoin address : 1Newifz6yETTmbziCsZZstmHHPH6ejNr75
The Following User Says Thank You to jcase For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Toledo_JAB
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2,139
Thread closed.
Please use the developer supported thread below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcase View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphur View Post
Let me be very clear on this:
IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT UNDERSTANDING THE JOURNEY,
THEN YOU PROBABLY SHOULDN'T BE HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Tags
4.4.2 att vzn root tethered s
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe