Thanks Meter 343
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
[HOW-TO][DEV EDITION ONLY]Root on 4.4 KitKat
I want to first say that I did not figure out this method on my own, I saw it on Google+ via Matthew Pierce
and modified it to make it easier to follow
Second, **do not try this on a device with a locked bootloader. You need the unlocked bootloader to do this**
You'll want to first download these 2 things
1) Superuser zip to be installed in recovery (from Chainfire) -> http://download.chainfire.eu/366/Sup...rSU-v1.72B.zip
2) New TWRP for 4.4 KitKat (from Hashcode)->
Here's the method to get root:
1) let the system fully install the 4.4 Kitkat ota and reboot. **Make sure you are on the first OTA before you try to install the KitKat OTA, otherwise your phone could have major issues.**
After it installs, do not do anything else, let it boot into android.
1b) Take the SuperSU installable zip and place it onto the internal storage
2) reboot phone to bootloader.
3) install Hashcode's TWRP using mfastboot flash recovery twrp-126.96.36.199-ghost-4.4.img
. (**use the motorola fastboot binary**
4) reboot device to recovery, do not boot into android before this step!
5) go to install and find then select BETA-SuperSU-v1.72B.zip
6) Boot back into android, and if needed, go to the Play Store and install SuperSU from Chainfire
7) enjoy root!
Proud owner of:
--Rooted VZW Moto X Developer Edition on stock 4.4 KitKat
--Rooted Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition 4.3
--Rooted Droid 4 on 4.1.2(retired)
--Rooted Xoom Wingray on custom 4.2.2(retired)
--Rooted Droid 2 on Liberty 2.3 (Retired)
If I have helped you, DON'T FORGET to hit the
Want free cloud storage?
Click the --->
<--- logo to sign up!