Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,576 Members 38,328 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW TO] Use Xfinity TV Go app on non-Verizon 3G / 4G (bypass WiFi-only restriction)

Tip us?

samwathegreat
Old
(Last edited by samwathegreat; 21st July 2014 at 06:25 AM.) Reason: add info
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,624

DONATE TO ME
Video [HOW TO] Use Xfinity TV Go app on non-Verizon 3G / 4G (bypass WiFi-only restriction)

Hi Guys,

Just a QUICK How-To that will allow you to use the Xfinity TV Go app to watch television episodes over 3G / 4G for non-Verizon users.

As you probably already know, due to a marketing deal between Comcast/Xfinity and Verizon Wireless, access to streaming episodes are disabled for all carriers except Verizon, unless you are on WiFi.

Fortunately, we have some very talented developers that have provided a solution!

This REQUIRES a valid Xfinity/Comcast subscription. If you have Xfinity/Comcast cable you should have a username and password to log in. If you don't know this information, you can initiate a "Chat" from the website, or call Comcast/Xfinity to retrieve your username and/or reset your password. Before you proceed, you should be able to successfully use the TV Go app over WiFi.

First, you must have a working Xposed Framework installation. I'm not sure if this will work with those of you using tethered root such as PIE, but assuming you are able to install Xposed and soft-reboot, it should work. It -definitely- works for anyone with an unlocked bootloader.

Installing Xposed is pretty straightforward, and it is described in other threads so we aren't going into that here. Once Xposed Framework is installed, you can proceed:

You will need to open Xposed, and click "download". This will list all the available Xposed modules. We are looking for a module called "Fake Wifi Connection". The easiest way to find it is by tapping the search button, and typing "Fake Wifi", at which point the module we are looking for should appear at the top of the list. Install the module, then go back to "Modules" in Xposed. Enable the module by checking the box next to "Fake Wifi Connection". This will require a reboot to complete. Once rebooted, open your app drawer and tap on "Fake Wifi Connection".

Unless you have reason to use this for other apps, I suggest you press the "invert" button, which will de-select all apps. Now scroll down the list until you find "TV Go", and place a check mark next to it. Make sure the master switch is set to on, and click "Save".

That's it! Now you can launch the TV Go app, and it will happily stream the episodes of your choosing (assuming they are included in your subscription) over non-Verizon 3G & 4G. If you have a slow connection, you may experience buffering, but this is to be expected in low-bandwidth conditions.

Enjoy! Now you can bypass Comcast/Xfinity's [stupid] Verizon-only restrictions when you aren't on WiFi.

Be sure to use caution if you are on a limited data plan, as video-streaming can consume a substantial amount of bandwidth in a relatively short period of time.

This could potentially allow you to use other apps that restrict you to WiFi-only use as well.

All thanks and credit goes to:

1. The Xposed Framework development team
2. "lemonsqueeze" - the developer behind the "Fake Wifi Connection" Xposed Module
Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Looking for a new carrier? Check out Republic Wireless!
Plans starting at $10 for unlimited talk/text and $25 with unlimited data.
Use this link to save $20. RW is my carrier and I couldn't be happier with them.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

Donate to me via BitCoin - 1samwaLJ7EdQFGME1dkUGPFZywUEKnXcT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samwathegreat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PeterDLai
Old
Thanks Meter 12
I think I've run into this issue when running AOSP ROMs like CyanogenMod on some of my other devices (even though they were connected to Verizon's 4G LTE network still). Glad to see that there is a workaround.