Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,037 Members 52,532 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Improved Google Email app released

Tip us?

DogzOfWar
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 53
Default Improved Google Email app released

Google has released an updated email (not GMail app) for the Nexus and Play Store devices.

What's interesting about the X is that our phones use that email app, but since our phones aren't Nexus or Play Store devices, we can't get this app via the Play Store.

However, if you follow that story you can sideload the APK. If you do so, you'll end up with 2 "Email" apps in your app drawer. For me, this app fixed a number of issues and seems quite a bit faster. Also, the UI has been revamped a bit in line with the other Google apps.

If you're a non-Gmail email user, it's definitely worth checking out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DogzOfWar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

klobkelosh
Old
(Last edited by klobkelosh; 20th June 2014 at 11:03 PM.)
Thanks Meter 412
Unfortunately, the nexus/gpe (googlemail.apk) email app does not update the Moto x app (aosp mail.apk), so if you use the mail app for exchange, like I do, it won't pair with the correct exchange.apk, so there is no exchange support.

Edit: apparently you can have exchange support by installing the Google exchange app. I ripped one from my nexus 7 2013 on 4.4.3 and installed as a normal app. It works just fine. I disabled the system mail and exchange just to be on the safe side. I'll upload the apk here shortly.
The Following User Says Thank You to klobkelosh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vikramkhalsa
Old
Thanks Meter 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by klobkelosh View Post
Unfortunately, the nexus/gpe (googlemail.apk) email app does not update the Moto x app (aosp mail.apk), so if you use the mail app for exchange, like I do, it won't pair with the correct exchange.apk, so there is no exchange support.

Edit: apparently you can have exchange support by installing the Google exchange app. I ripped one from my nexus 7 2013 on 4.4.3 and installed as a normal app. It works just fine. I disabled the system mail and exchange just to be on the safe side. I'll upload the apk here shortly.
Yeah i read about that too, I was about to install it until I realized there was an extra step, and wasn't sure if it would be worth the effort. IF you could upload the apk here after confirming that it works, that would be great!

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to vikramkhalsa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

klobkelosh
Old
Thanks Meter 412
exchange apk attached. Yes, it works.
Attached Files
File Type: apk Exchange2Google.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.10 MB, 41 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to klobkelosh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gammite
Old
Thanks Meter 39
I have a nexus 7. Not seeing a speed difference with my exchange acct and any GUI changes are super minor. Still considering loading the apk but not sure if its worth the effort.
Moto X 32GB - 4.4.2
Dell Venue 8 Pro - Win8.1x32
Nexus 7 FHD - 4.4.4
Iconia W500 - Win8.1x32
Nokia Lumia 920 - WP 8.1 dev
iPhone 5 16GB - iOS 7.1.2

and many more. lol.

klobkelosh
Old
Thanks Meter 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammite View Post
I have a nexus 7. Not seeing a speed difference with my exchange acct and any GUI changes are super minor. Still considering loading the apk but not sure if its worth the effort.
There were apparently some security updates on the back end, but I agree, I see nothing major and no change in speed.