SlapMyMoto and tethering
Originally Posted by KidJoe
You've named the obvious.. run apps that require root. And for the most part, end users don't need ROOT. If you don't know why you need root, you probably don't need it.
Here are just 5 things people have wanted root for...
- Tether on an "unlimited data plan." Some of us have been able to hang onto our unlimited data plans from before VZW and other carriers have introduced tiered data. With these plans, tethering was an "add on." You will find threads discussing how to tether after rooting to get around the needed carrier "add on." But since Verizon's new "share everything" plans include tethering as part of your data bucket, so if that is your plan you don't need to root.
- Block ads. Some users want to eliminate the ads from their devices and apps. It can cut down on the data your phone uses, and eliminate some annoyances.
- Backups of some apps/data which are not able to be backed up unless you are rooted
- Remove carrier bloat. While most apps can be disabled via App Drawer -> Settings -> Applications... find/tap the app you want, and hit the disable button, some carrier apps can't be disabled that way. 3Rd party app like Titanium Backup cab be used to freeze/remove but it needs Root. Or you can use a File Explorer with root access to find and rename/delete the APK from your phone. (Of course this could impact install of future OTA's)
- Use of things like MotoXposed, Gravitybox, etc to enhance their phone.
Many would agree the X is pretty great the way it is. And I'm surprised at how many have wanted to stay stock. But these few things are understandable well.
None of them are really "required" and to many are not even a consideration.
---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------
one of the first few posts in that thread does say it will work with safestrap. So yes, it will work on a non-developer edition phone. On topic for this thread here would be that you need to be ROOTed and on KitKat (use SlapMyMoto) to use SafeStrap. How to make use of Safestrap and install that would be off topic for this thread.
1. I have unlimited and am currently rooted on 4.2.2 having used Jcases' root method. I want to use SlapMyMoto and update my Droid Maxx to KitKat, but someone posted an issue with changing the entitlement on KitKat rooted not working to gain wi-fi tethering. Has anyone done this root and had problems with wi-fi tethering?
2. If I use the the MotoWpnomo, and for some reason I have difficulty completing SlapMyMoto, will I have any issues downgrading back to 4.2.2, and rooting with RockMyMoto again until I figure out Slap?