Android One Expanding to Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka

At Google I/O 2013, Google proudly announced that the Android operating system was … more

Android 5.0.2 Fixes 2012 Nexus 7! Sony’s Making a Google Glass Competitor? – XDA TV

Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for the … more

Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Lenovo Takeover

OP GandalfTehGray

30th May 2014, 08:23 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13

105 posts
http://thenextweb.com/us/2014/05/30/...rtphones-2014/

Well that sucks.
30th May 2014, 08:41 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 117

483 posts
I definitely saw this coming. I didn't realize the selling finalized yet. As long as Motorola makes great radios and decent phones I'll support them but I'm very anxious to see what Lenovo can do with them.
30th May 2014, 08:41 PM   |  #3  
Toronto
Thanks Meter: 135

528 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTehGray

http://thenextweb.com/us/2014/05/30/...rtphones-2014/

Well that sucks.

That's okay. All Rogers Moto X are assembled in China (written on the back of the phone) and have very high build quality with no button rattle, unlike reports from owners of USA assembled units.
2nd June 2014, 04:22 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 47

402 posts
More
It's a bummer for jobs but no one can argue the business plan ever made sense.

---------- Post added at 07:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion667

That's okay. All Rogers Moto X are assembled in China (written on the back of the phone) and have very high build quality with no button rattle....

3rd June 2014, 01:48 AM   |  #5  
Flag Louisville
Thanks Meter: 347

1,285 posts
More
Not really surprised about this one. I wonder if the X+1 will be customizable at all.
3rd June 2014, 08:13 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 24

92 posts
Pretty sure the Lenovo takeover has nothing to do with the Texas plant closing. The Texas plant is closing due to poor sales. Moto was struggling when they tried to pull this off and not enough Americans chose to support them, either because they didn't know due to Motos poor advertising campaign, they didn't care, or the phone just didn't offer what they wanted (hard to believe that one). A company in a top position such as Apple, or Samsung could have easily pulled it off, but they're too money hungry and they gotta have that extra $5 profit per device, which indeed could be the reason why they're the ones on top, but we're the ones who put them there. Sad to hear this news, I was hoping this factory would have brought some change to things.

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to trentonmc24 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th June 2014, 09:48 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
7$/H/p Or 3$/H/p which your choose?
14th June 2014, 02:04 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 73

415 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentonmc24

Pretty sure the Lenovo takeover has nothing to do with the Texas plant closing. The Texas plant is closing due to poor sales. Moto was struggling when they tried to pull this off and not enough Americans chose to support them, either because they didn't know due to Motos poor advertising campaign, they didn't care, or the phone just didn't offer what they wanted (hard to believe that one). A company in a top position such as Apple, or Samsung could have easily pulled it off, but they're too money hungry and they gotta have that extra $5 profit per device, which indeed could be the reason why they're the ones on top, but we're the ones who put them there. Sad to hear this news, I was hoping this factory would have brought some change to things.

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Free mobile app

This speaks to me so much. Even beyond the whole "USA USA" bit, there was so much that was good about the Moto X that brought out its uniqueness but because Motorola(or Google) didn't push the envelope and really invest in it, it fell short. I am not bothered by Google selling to Lenovo because Lenovo is a pretty good company when weighing all the rest. I'm bothered that Google gave up on Motorola before trying. Had Google gone all in: pushed the advertising, pushed the availability, and continued to push new features of the Moto X: it would have worked out.

I am hopeful for the future because I am hoping Lenovo will recognize the value of Expandable storage as well as removable batteries?(I can hope...) in the next Motorola phone.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread