Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,951 Members 52,899 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Lenovo Takeover

Tip us?

GandalfTehGray
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Default Lenovo Takeover

http://thenextweb.com/us/2014/05/30/...rtphones-2014/

Well that sucks.

SymbioticGenius
Old
Thanks Meter 109
I definitely saw this coming. I didn't realize the selling finalized yet. As long as Motorola makes great radios and decent phones I'll support them but I'm very anxious to see what Lenovo can do with them.

scorpion667
Old
Thanks Meter 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTehGray View Post
That's okay. All Rogers Moto X are assembled in China (written on the back of the phone) and have very high build quality with no button rattle, unlike reports from owners of USA assembled units.
Moto X [Rogers XT1058]
Stock 4.4.2, Rooted and heavily debloated
Moto X Debloat guide

Retired:
2x S2 i9100, iphone 4s, S3 I747, iphone 5, Nexus 4, HTC One

TiltedAz
Old
Thanks Meter 33
It's a bummer for jobs but no one can argue the business plan ever made sense.

---------- Post added at 07:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion667 View Post
That's okay. All Rogers Moto X are assembled in China (written on the back of the phone) and have very high build quality with no button rattle....

someguyatx
Old
Thanks Meter 347
Not really surprised about this one. I wonder if the X+1 will be customizable at all.

trentonmc24
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Pretty sure the Lenovo takeover has nothing to do with the Texas plant closing. The Texas plant is closing due to poor sales. Moto was struggling when they tried to pull this off and not enough Americans chose to support them, either because they didn't know due to Motos poor advertising campaign, they didn't care, or the phone just didn't offer what they wanted (hard to believe that one). A company in a top position such as Apple, or Samsung could have easily pulled it off, but they're too money hungry and they gotta have that extra $5 profit per device, which indeed could be the reason why they're the ones on top, but we're the ones who put them there. Sad to hear this news, I was hoping this factory would have brought some change to things.

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to trentonmc24 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

macbuut
Old
Thanks Meter 0
7$/H/p Or 3$/H/p which your choose?

alpha-niner64
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentonmc24 View Post
Pretty sure the Lenovo takeover has nothing to do with the Texas plant closing. The Texas plant is closing due to poor sales. Moto was struggling when they tried to pull this off and not enough Americans chose to support them, either because they didn't know due to Motos poor advertising campaign, they didn't care, or the phone just didn't offer what they wanted (hard to believe that one). A company in a top position such as Apple, or Samsung could have easily pulled it off, but they're too money hungry and they gotta have that extra $5 profit per device, which indeed could be the reason why they're the ones on top, but we're the ones who put them there. Sad to hear this news, I was hoping this factory would have brought some change to things.

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Free mobile app
This speaks to me so much. Even beyond the whole "USA USA" bit, there was so much that was good about the Moto X that brought out its uniqueness but because Motorola(or Google) didn't push the envelope and really invest in it, it fell short. I am not bothered by Google selling to Lenovo because Lenovo is a pretty good company when weighing all the rest. I'm bothered that Google gave up on Motorola before trying. Had Google gone all in: pushed the advertising, pushed the availability, and continued to push new features of the Moto X: it would have worked out.

I am hopeful for the future because I am hoping Lenovo will recognize the value of Expandable storage as well as removable batteries?(I can hope...) in the next Motorola phone.