5,595,918 Members 31,312 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Mediaserver keeping phone awake - Bluetooth related?

Tip us?

thomase00
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default Mediaserver keeping phone awake - Bluetooth related?

This is after the 4.4 update.

I can't figure out the exact cause, but there are several occasions where I have left the phone idle for several hours, only to discover that the phone has not entered deep sleep, having instead been kept awake by Mediaserver the entire time. Unfortunately, I can't get access to the Partial Wakelock stats via BetterBatteryStats, but the time for the PowerManagerService.WakeLocks "container" under the Kernel Wakelock section roughly matches the awake time.

I have done some googling for solutions to this problem and most threads suggest a potential issue with media scanning (e.g. a corrupted .mp3 causing a background process to get stuck in a loop). However, I haven't been able to eliminate the problem with any of the proposed solutions.

However, the last few times this has happened, I have noticed that Bluetooth was enabled and paired with my headset. Also, in each case, the awake time for the Mediaserver process (under battery stats) continues to increment UNTIL I disable Bluetooth, at which point the awake time counter stops incrementing. Also, since I started paying closer attention to this behavior, I have yet to see the same deep sleep (i.e. wakelock) issue while Bluetooth is disabled.

I believe this is enough evidence to prove that the offending wakelock is somehow related to Bluetooth.

Does anyone else see this behavior?

kj2112
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1623
I've seen it on other phones. And adding Bluetooth into the mix may make my advice unhelpful.... But that aside, rebooting after unplugging from charger every time has fixed that issue in the past.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk