Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,298 Members 39,610 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Modifying Griffin Car Dock

Tip us?

lucky13
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71
Default Modifying Griffin Car Dock

As anyone who knows who's bought one, the official griffin Car Dock uses a non standard mount size, making it difficult for those who do not like the standard suction cup mount they offer. (This guy) This guide will show you what you have to do in order to make it accept the standard size ball to allow you to use any mount you want. I used an iMagnet mount with my old S3 and loved it, but due to pain in the a$$ back on the Moto X, using a magnet style mount is not preferable.

This first pic shows the various mounts I had, disassembled, and what parts I used.

They are:

Upper left: Griffin official car dock.
Upper right: My old S3 mount, the iMagnet mount, and the socket piece I will be reusing.
Bottom: The Mountek Snap 2 mount I want to put the Griffin dock on. This mounts in the cd slot, a much better place to put it in my VW.

The only two pieces we really care about right now. The socket from the iMagnet mount, and the socket of the Griffin.

The Following User Says Thank You to lucky13 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lucky13
Old
(Last edited by lucky13; 4th February 2014 at 03:00 PM.) Reason: derp
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71
VERY IMPORTANT! When you slice your thumb open with an exacto knife and come back to your chair, YOU MUST REMOVE THE CAT.

All done with the cutting. I basically just cut the threaded part of the Griffin down until it hit a flat area. If you go to far it starts to get thinner, but if your doing this project, you'll know when to stop.

Remove the cat again.

I threw on some epoxy, secured it over night, and it's as good as new. (take note of the cat's disgust with my project)

There! now your official dock will accept any standard mounting ball! (that's what she said! heeyooo!)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lucky13 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Wade-0
Old
Thanks Meter 39
This reminds me of all the DIY crap I had to do to the GSM Galaxy Nexus dock to get it to work with my Verizon model. It was a pain, but totally worth it in the end.

(And the cat pics were pretty damn funny)
The Following User Says Thank You to Wade-0 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Flexia32
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Awesome. Looks like I'll be doing this in my future. Note is I can find one of my old docks.

How's the epoxy holding up?

lucky13
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71
Like it would take the force of the gods to separate it. Rough it up good with sandpaper first, clean it good, slather it on, profit.

Sent from my XT1060 using xda app-developers app

Cozume
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post
VERY IMPORTANT! When you slice your thumb open with an exacto knife and come back to your chair, YOU MUST REMOVE THE CAT.

Remove the cat again.
Such a cute kitty! Wish mine were more friendly to me, lol! And thanks for the tutorial!
The Following User Says Thank You to Cozume For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lucky13
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71
I would also advise when you have the epoxy securing it, to not let it run into the internal cavity of the main dock, as there are wires and other bits of wizardry in there.

Sent from my XT1060 using xda app-developers app