XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Moto X not accepting exchange remote wipe

Tip us?

wbabbit
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Moto X not accepting exchange remote wipe

I opened my new moto x and synced it with my company's exchange environment. One of the policies they test with new phones is a remote wipe. My moto x stopped syncing emails but did nothing else when the wipe was issued, even though it accepted the exchange admin as a device administrator.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? I really don't want to return the phone, but I have to if I can't figure this out.

T-Mobile version, updated to 4.4.

fury683
Old
Thanks Meter 47

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbabbit View Post
I opened my new moto x and synced it with my company's exchange environment. One of the policies they test with new phones is a remote wipe. My moto x stopped syncing emails but did nothing else when the wipe was issued, even though it accepted the exchange admin as a device administrator.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? I really don't want to return the phone, but I have to if I can't figure this out.

T-Mobile version, updated to 4.4.
They make you wipe the phone to test that they can do it? That's pretty messed up, in my opinion.

Did you tree removing the exchange account and adding it again? Clear cache/data for the Email app (the yellow icon one). Double check that the device administrator was activated?

wbabbit
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fury683 View Post
They make you wipe the phone to test that they can do it? That's pretty messed up, in my opinion.

Did you tree removing the exchange account and adding it again? Clear cache/data for the Email app (the yellow icon one). Double check that the device administrator was activated?
Pretty normal, honestly, in a corporate environment. The company pays for the phone and the service, but in exchange they must have the ability to remote wipe it if it is lost and has company info on it (my email).

I did remove it, it won't let me add it again (likely because of the wipe). I might try the cache/data thing though. And yes, it is listed in the administrators. Thank you for answering, though.

fury683
Old
Thanks Meter 47

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbabbit View Post
Pretty normal, honestly, in a corporate environment. The company pays for the phone and the service, but in exchange they must have the ability to remote wipe it if it is lost and has company info on it (my email).

I did remove it, it won't let me add it again (likely because of the wipe). I might try the cache/data thing though. And yes, it is listed in the administrators. Thank you for answering, though.
I know having the -ability- to wipe is normal. I have used the corporate email policy on my phones in the past (not currently) but I didn't have to do a "test wipe" to erase everything on my phone just to be sure that they could in the future. That seems ridiculous. Hopefully they let you restore everything on company time.
The Following User Says Thank You to fury683 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wbabbit
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fury683 View Post
I know having the -ability- to wipe is normal. I have used the corporate email policy on my phones in the past (not currently) but I didn't have to do a "test wipe" to erase everything on my phone just to be sure that they could in the future. That seems ridiculous. Hopefully they let you restore everything on company time.
Oh, sorry I wasn't clear. It only applies if it is a new model of phone that has not been tested in the past. This case shows their reasoning, which now that it has failed the test no one with a moto x will be allowed on the server. So if I had a galaxy S4 or something like that I would get on with no testing at all.

brorex
Old
(Last edited by brorex; 14th December 2013 at 06:22 AM.)
Thanks Meter 181
There is problems with exchange on 4.4 I believe 4.4.1 has fixed these problems. That is probably why remote wipe isn't working check this thread if you are rooted this fixed my exchange syncing problems I was having http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2531268 Hope that will help you out. If nothing else maybe downgrade to 4.2 till your phone gets a 4.4.2 update (if it gets the update)

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
AT&T Samsung i747 Frosty's JB
Verizon Galaxy Nexus Mmuzzy's JB 4.2
Samsung Nexus S
HP Touchpad Classic Nerd
Moto Xoom

If someone has helped in anyway hit thier thanks button

icon123
Old
Thanks Meter 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by brorex View Post
There is problems with exchange on 4.4 I believe 4.4.1 has fixed these problems. That is probably why remote wipe isn't working check this thread if you are rooted this fixed my exchange syncing problems I was having http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2531268 Hope that will help you out. If nothing else maybe downgrade to 4.2 till your phone gets a 4.4.2 update (if it gets the update)

Brorex is correct. Although I haven't checked the version I'm using (4.4.2) to see if it it accepts remote wipes, I assume it would. It does fix the sync issues 4.4 was having. The other suggestion would be to use touchdown.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

ericizzy1
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by brorex View Post

hi, had exchange issues on 4.4 that made me downgrade to 4.2.2, problems i had on 4.4 were that i have 3 accounts, and when i set them, some show calendar, some dont, some push emails , some dont.
you use the fix you linked to on moto x 4.4 from which carrier?
which issues that you had did it fix for you?
thanks

brorex
Old
Thanks Meter 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
hi, had exchange issues on 4.4 that made me downgrade to 4.2.2, problems i had on 4.4 were that i have 3 accounts, and when i set them, some show calendar, some dont, some push emails , some dont.
you use the fix you linked to on moto x 4.4 from which carrier?
which issues that you had did it fix for you?
thanks
I couldn't sync at all wouldn't ever connect to the server. I have a gsm Dev Ed. Exchange should work the same on all versions as it is just an app

AT&T Samsung i747 Frosty's JB
Verizon Galaxy Nexus Mmuzzy's JB 4.2
Samsung Nexus S
HP Touchpad Classic Nerd
Moto Xoom

If someone has helped in anyway hit thier thanks button