XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Moto X Custom Signature Character Limit

Tip us?

aquaboyin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Moto X Custom Signature Character Limit

Does any one know the character limit of the custom signature on the back plate of Moto X

It shows an error for my full name ("You're out of space, Keep it short and sweet.") but if I click the zoom and enter the same then it shows it properly.

Not sure what the final thing will look if i just create in zoom and order it

8_8
Old
(Last edited by 8_8; 5th December 2013 at 06:09 AM.)
Thanks Meter 41
When I talked to a CSR she stated it was 20 characters though I wouldn't take that for face value (I recall entering way more before I got the "Keep it short" validation message). I have first hand experience with this because I had an issue where they didn't print the last character on my X and it was 20 characters. When you design your X, SAVE the design. Then go to My Saved Designs (outside Motomaker in your profile) and make sure the signature shows exactly how you want it.

If you are very worried about it, I would ask to speak to a MotoMaker rep on the phone.

How many characters (including spaces) are you entering?

hypatia1
Old
(Last edited by hypatia1; 5th December 2013 at 08:20 PM.) Reason: Update
Thanks Meter 0
I've run into a slightly different issue. I want to use an equal sign ("=") in my signature. The form accepts the character and displays my full signature on the picture, but I happened to save my design. When I look at my saved design, the "=" and everything after it is missing!

There is a bug is saving my signature, but I have know way of knowing if the same bug will affect me when I try to check out. I don't know what to do about it.

Update:
I "chatted" with a Motorola rep. He said that only letters and numbers will be printed. In that case, it's weird that I can save lots of different punctuation and symbols, just not a "=".

8_8
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Wow, that rep is flat out wrong about that.

My signature had lots of punctuation marks and they printed them exactly as you see in Motomaker.

As for the equals sign, yeah that sounds like a bug that someone in the web development team needs to be aware of.

hypatia1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
[QUOTE=8_8;48175467]Wow, that rep is flat out wrong about that.

Yeah, it'll even save the fork bomb: "){ :|: };:". Just not a "=".
My guess is that they've got some overly zealous input sanitization code to prevent SQL injection. The sad part is that the = might get printed if I don't save the design first, but I've got no way of knowing.