27th January 2014, 08:18 PM   |  #31  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 957

2,275 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstudio

One has to wonder if any moto-x can work on any LTE band....with the right software. I wonder if I could take my verizon dev edition phone, load the ATT software and it would become exactly like an ATT (branded) phone. It certainly would make manufacturing sense if the hardware were identical in all phones and the only difference was the software load.

Anyone know the truth on this??

Antenna need to be tuned to the appropriate frequencies, and the TX/RX chips have to support the frequencies.

But the iPhone 5S and 5C support many HSPA and LTE bands, so anything is possible.
27th January 2014, 09:08 PM   |  #32  
Langley, BC
Thanks Meter: 208

676 posts
Quote:

One has to wonder if any moto-x can work on any LTE band....with the right software. I wonder if I could take my verizon dev edition phone, load the ATT software and it would become exactly like an ATT (branded) phone. It certainly would make manufacturing sense if the hardware were identical in all phones and the only difference was the software load.

Anyone know the truth on this??

The hardware is different between the actual phones models - XT1053, XT1058 etc. If it was the same they would get only a single FCC approval and just enable the bands needed by the carrier/model. On the various tear down shots of the phones you can see various chips added/removed on the different models to support different bands and protocols.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve-x For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th January 2014, 10:31 PM   |  #33  
Thanks Meter: 7

70 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-x

The hardware is different between the actual phones models - XT1053, XT1058 etc. If it was the same they would get only a single FCC approval and just enable the bands needed by the carrier/model. On the various tear down shots of the phones you can see various chips added/removed on the different models to support different bands and protocols.

I don't think I have access to the tear down shots. It still seems a strange manufacturing decision because the cost of the chips is almost nothing (granted every penny counts). My personal interest is the LTE bands....and whether the verizon dev edition really has more LTE bands available, just not enabled (or perhaps they even are enabled, but no one would know because Verizon doesn't support them Not looking for different frequencies..quad band is good enough for me....
The Following User Says Thank You to ghstudio For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th January 2014, 01:19 AM   |  #34  
Flag Omaha
Thanks Meter: 16

62 posts
More
Quote:

I don't think I have access to the tear down shots. It still seems a strange manufacturing decision because the cost of the chips is almost nothing (granted every penny counts). My personal interest is the LTE bands....and whether the verizon dev edition really has more LTE bands available, just not enabled (or perhaps they even are enabled, but no one would know because Verizon doesn't support them Not looking for different frequencies..quad band is good enough for me....

I'll get screenshots tomorrow if needed (TMo doesn't officially have Omaha as an LTE network), but my CDMA Dev Ed picks up their band 4 LTE when I have their APN settings (and their SIM, obv) in.
3rd February 2014, 04:23 PM   |  #35  
Thanks Meter: 1

23 posts
More
If only Moto X could have a tool like Nexus 5 field test, we might know if any band was disabled, e.g. band 41 and could be enabled.
3rd February 2014, 04:54 PM   |  #36  
Thanks Meter: 6

23 posts
Quote:

The cost of the chips is not the primary problem, but rather the limited space available. So far there aren't any universal chips for all used LTE bands so they would need multiple chips to achieve that. Add to that the antennas needed for the various frequencies and multiple power amplifieres and it's quite a lot.
4th February 2014, 07:37 AM   |  #37  
Thanks Meter: 3

138 posts
More
How can you tell exactly which model you have by looking in the phone settings?
It just says Moto X
4th February 2014, 07:44 AM   |  #38  
Langley, BC

676 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dtms

How can you tell exactly which model you have by looking in the phone settings?
It just says Moto X

You can't really. You can find the true model # on the bottom back of the phone - XT-1058 etc
4th February 2014, 08:01 AM   |  #39  
Thanks Meter: 3

138 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-x

You can't really. You can find the true model # on the bottom back of the phone - XT-1058 etc

So like physically opening up the device?
4th February 2014, 08:05 AM   |  #40  
Langley, BC

676 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dtms

So like physically opening up the device?

No need to open it, it is printed on the lower back of the phones rear casing in tiny print, along with the various certifications and where it was made.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread