Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,990 Members 37,226 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Moto X models comparison

Tip us?

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstudio View Post
One has to wonder if any moto-x can work on any LTE band....with the right software. I wonder if I could take my verizon dev edition phone, load the ATT software and it would become exactly like an ATT (branded) phone. It certainly would make manufacturing sense if the hardware were identical in all phones and the only difference was the software load.

Anyone know the truth on this??
Antenna need to be tuned to the appropriate frequencies, and the TX/RX chips have to support the frequencies.

But the iPhone 5S and 5C support many HSPA and LTE bands, so anything is possible.

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 171
Quote:
One has to wonder if any moto-x can work on any LTE band....with the right software. I wonder if I could take my verizon dev edition phone, load the ATT software and it would become exactly like an ATT (branded) phone. It certainly would make manufacturing sense if the hardware were identical in all phones and the only difference was the software load.

Anyone know the truth on this??
The hardware is different between the actual phones models - XT1053, XT1058 etc. If it was the same they would get only a single FCC approval and just enable the bands needed by the carrier/model. On the various tear down shots of the phones you can see various chips added/removed on the different models to support different bands and protocols.
Deep in the Heart of the State of the Art with my Moto X.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve-x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ghstudio
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-x View Post
The hardware is different between the actual phones models - XT1053, XT1058 etc. If it was the same they would get only a single FCC approval and just enable the bands needed by the carrier/model. On the various tear down shots of the phones you can see various chips added/removed on the different models to support different bands and protocols.
I don't think I have access to the tear down shots. It still seems a strange manufacturing decision because the cost of the chips is almost nothing (granted every penny counts). My personal interest is the LTE bands....and whether the verizon dev edition really has more LTE bands available, just not enabled (or perhaps they even are enabled, but no one would know because Verizon doesn't support them Not looking for different frequencies..quad band is good enough for me....
The Following User Says Thank You to ghstudio For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Vandyyy
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
I don't think I have access to the tear down shots. It still seems a strange manufacturing decision because the cost of the chips is almost nothing (granted every penny counts). My personal interest is the LTE bands....and whether the verizon dev edition really has more LTE bands available, just not enabled (or perhaps they even are enabled, but no one would know because Verizon doesn't support them Not looking for different frequencies..quad band is good enough for me....
I'll get screenshots tomorrow if needed (TMo doesn't officially have Omaha as an LTE network), but my CDMA Dev Ed picks up their band 4 LTE when I have their APN settings (and their SIM, obv) in.

mk1129
Old
Thanks Meter 1
If only Moto X could have a tool like Nexus 5 field test, we might know if any band was disabled, e.g. band 41 and could be enabled.

jniklast
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
The cost of the chips is not the primary problem, but rather the limited space available. So far there aren't any universal chips for all used LTE bands so they would need multiple chips to achieve that. Add to that the antennas needed for the various frequencies and multiple power amplifieres and it's quite a lot.

1dtms
Old
Thanks Meter 3
How can you tell exactly which model you have by looking in the phone settings?
It just says Moto X

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dtms View Post
How can you tell exactly which model you have by looking in the phone settings?
It just says Moto X
You can't really. You can find the true model # on the bottom back of the phone - XT-1058 etc

1dtms
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-x View Post
You can't really. You can find the true model # on the bottom back of the phone - XT-1058 etc
So like physically opening up the device?

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dtms View Post
So like physically opening up the device?
No need to open it, it is printed on the lower back of the phones rear casing in tiny print, along with the various certifications and where it was made.