5,604,219 Members 49,585 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Moto X has a notification light!

Tip us?

Jayrod1980
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 592
Default Moto X has a notification light!

Forgive me if this has already been found but the Moto X has a notification light. Everywhere I've read including critic reviews said the moto x only has its active notification system.

I stumbled upon this with my defective moto maker xt1053. Somehow it came with a corrupt system from factory that even rsd lite couldn't fix. Anyway, I have a replacement on the way but I've had no way to turn it off. This morning I was playing around with it and plugged it in via USB to my computer. Battery graphic popped up as it would anytime you plug in with the phone powered down. The phone then showed 0% and to my surprise, a bright green led light long-blinks through the speaker grill!

My question now is... Is there anyway to enable the light under normal circumstances? I love active notifications, but if my phone is face up, I'd like to know if I have a text, etc with out picking up the phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1387032893174.jpg
Views:	9898
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	2454224  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jayrod1980 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Solutions Etcetera
Old
Thanks Meter 153
You don't have to pick up the phone to see active notifications. They will pulse (just like an led) until dismissed.

karn101
Old
Thanks Meter 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1980 View Post
Forgive me if this has already been found but the Moto X has a notification light. Everywhere I've read including critic reviews said the moto x only has its active notification system.

I stumbled upon this with my defective moto maker xt1053. Somehow it came with a corrupt system from factory that even rsd lite couldn't fix. Anyway, I have a replacement on the way but I've had no way to turn it off. This morning I was playing around with it and plugged it in via USB to my computer. Battery graphic popped up as it would anytime you plug in with the phone powered down. The phone then showed 0% and to my surprise, a bright green led light long-blinks through the speaker grill!

My question now is... Is there anyway to enable the light under normal circumstances? I love active notifications, but if my phone is face up, I'd like to know if I have a text, etc with out picking up the phone.

That's pretty awesome. I would love to be able to activate that. Nice find!
The Following User Says Thank You to karn101 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Anthony445
Old
Thanks Meter 2
That's pretty sick if it's not a hoax. Looks like an alien phone 👽

Ctrl-Freak
Old
Thanks Meter 60
I just tried the framework changes from this post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...67&postcount=8

It did not work.

I tried disabling/enabling "active display", but it didn't help.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ctrl-Freak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kj2112
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1656
I'm surprised this hasn't been found before and hacked to work as an ordinary led notification light.

Sent from my Moto X cell phone telephone...

Jayrod1980
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 592
If I didn't have a busted phone I would never have known. On android central someone else mentioned that the light will turn on when plugged in without enough battery to activate the led screen. Has anyone tried the notification light widget from Motorola? Supposedly that gets the moto g light to turn on. If that doesn't work then perhaps it is a kernel setting? I would love to play around to get this working but until my replacement arrives I'm stuck. The picture I took was dumb luck. I kept plugging it in until I could snap a picture fast enough with my nexus 5 to catch it. It looks really cool coming through that grill... Even if it is only green. Its more of a bar than just a single light but perhaps thats an effect of the metallic grill.

Anthony445
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Oddly enough I just try to downld and install "light flow" a led notification control center for android and its not installing it just stuck @ ℅100 :what:
Description says it's updated for kitkat and nexus 5 device

aooga
Old
Thanks Meter 674
That looks awesome! I hope someone figures out how to enable it. I'm too stupid to figure that out

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ClippinWings
Old
Thanks Meter 38
As far as i know, It's directly wired to the battery system and does not interact with the OS... So no apk or firmware mod is going to have access to control it.

Sent from my MotoX, using TapaTypo
Current: Moto X (4.4.2)
Last: HTC Vivid
Past: Samsung Galaxy SII I777
Back in the Day:Dell Streak, iPhone 3G, Blackberry 8320, HTC TyTn

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ClippinWings For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]