Thread Closed

Moto X product line specs and features feedback

OP Einstein_eg

11th October 2014, 09:20 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

14 posts
Hi,

I am starting this discussion for all the Moto X fans out there to have a say about their favorite features, the features they want and the features they would like changed (or changed back)

The main motivation on my judgement on features below is that I am considering the Moto X to be the most user friendly daily driver. All round phone that is not specialized, does everything well and nothing exceptionally great. Especially for the urban lifestyle (some may call it plastic or tin canned).

Size
The best thing I like about the 2013 Moto X is the 4.7 inch display, this gave the 2013 Moto X the reputation of the best one hand operated phone experience back at 2013 and I believe it should stay, 4.7 to 5 inch is perfect size.

It can also grow in size as different people would like different thing, but in my opinion to keep the one hand operation miracle alive, Motorola needs to keep a version of Moto X with 4.7-5 inch

Screen resolution
I am very happy with the 720, especially that the full HD screen eats up battery. I don't see any benefit of having HD display, even for media or gaming. Battery life is a crucial factor compared to minimal media quality.

Let's face it, media high quality is a nice option on tablet or a bigger device, watching media on the phone for most people (as I have noticed) is when you're waiting for the doctors at the clinic (who don't really know what the word appointment means) or on the bus etc. If I want to watch a video and enjoy it in high quality, I would watch it on a tablet or a laptop, or using my Moto X to cast it to a higher resolution device.

Battery life
Now we're talking, battery life is one of the most important features of the 2013 Moto X and I would give up a lot to keep it lasting a day at least, I would like Motorola to work on it, make it better. Along with the screen size, battery life has motivated me big time to buy the Moto X.

Wireless charging
A nice feature that would make the experience using Moto X even better, however not necessary, I got used to carrying a charger with me, or a decent power-bank, so while wireless charging can help on the work desk or at home, it's almost useless for people on the move (like myself) especially that it takes much longer to fully charge the phone

Touchless controls
Here is one of the best features I have ever seen in a phone. Really, well done Motorola. The ways to enhance this was already implemented on the new one, by customizing the trigger phrase, Motorola has shown it cares/listens to customers. Also the fact that the command list is expanding to cover more than Google voice.

If Motorola want to perfect this, they can allow other apps to use the Touchless controls by providing SDKs to third-parties (or a similar technique).

Enhancing experience and reducing time for repeated tasks
Shake to open camera, NFC accessories, Bluetooth trusted devices unlock are the main features allowing this.

The Motorola Skip is great, keep providing ways to address user frustration points, and time consuming repeated tasks (such as unlocking phone.) This phone addresses the most critical time consuming repeated tasks correctly. Motorola, we want more of those please.

Can you guys think of anything else other than Camera, unlock phone as repeated time consuming tasks? Let me (and Motorola) know.

SD slot
One of the features I wish Moto X had is an expandable memory, I have replaced most of the devices I use with Moto X and that's supposed to be the idea. Replacing alarm, car GPS, Camera mp3 player and more. This is a feature that I would love for Motorola to consider. Many people like myself have a big music library and it's a shame that a great device like the Moto X lacks this.

Camera
The Camera in the Moto X isn't that great, we all know that. Even the 2014 Moto X doesn't have a good one, but I can live with that, camera is not of a great significance to me, and for a all-round device it should not be a great camera. In conclusion, the camera there is sufficient

Style.
The Moto Maker is great, however it has a limitation, the design of the phone itself can enchance or kill the Moto Maker customization. I personally prefer the 2013 Moto X style better than the new one.

Water/Weather Proofing
The Moto X is supposed to be Nano-coated, so it's water proof to a degree, the touch screen cannot be used under water or under rain (even a few drops.) The urban lifestyle is all about being fit, sporty and outdoors. A proper water/weather proofing would be a great feature to consider

Price
No need to say anything here. It's reasonably priced for most parts of the world.

Everyday repeated tasks handling
This is where the Moto X product line excels. Here is a list of the features we love and notes about how to enhance them:
  • Touchless control: Great! I have already discussed this above.
  • Assist: I love it, especially for driving mode, however, Motorola needs to consider more ways to trigger the mode. I don't like the driving mode automatically on when on the bus or in a car which I am not driving. Triggering on only when connected to a specific bluetooth device can make this specific to my car which will be great. There are more ways to enhance this as well, please share your opinion.
  • Skip: I love skip unlock, even though some people lose it a lot, but it's only $10, which makes it easily replaced when lost.
  • Trusted devices: needs some work, you need to unlock the device once before the trusted device unlock work, very useful when in the car.
  • Shaking the phone for camera: no complains there, works great, and very useful indeed.
  • Notifications: Adding the feature to view multiple notifications when the phone is locked for the 2014 version is the update we were looking for, we have a thread discussing how this affects the 2013 Moto X here:
    New Moto X 2014 features on the Original Moto X

I am hoping that motorola adds more in this category, enhancing the user experience by reducing the time for repeated time consuming tasks is what makes the Moto X a great every day driver. Anything else you want added/discussed, please let me know.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I will add a poll too.
12th October 2014, 08:50 PM   |  #2  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag Baden-Württemberg
Thanks Meter: 5,443

2,568 posts
Donate to Me
More
I think there is no need for two threads about feature discussions, especially if they're two from the same OP.
So I'm gonna close this one and will leave THIS one open.

@Einstein_eg if you want it the other way around, just let me know
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to laufersteppenwolf For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
features, moto x, motorola, phone, specs
Previous Thread Next Thread