Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,452 Members 42,555 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Moto X wireless charging added internally(and it works!)

Tip us?

ya.Moxa
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Wirless charger already arrived, now i'm waiting for S3 adapter for wirless carging and i'l make this mod. I'l post all pictures with manual and results, wait a little
The Following User Says Thank You to ya.Moxa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dray_jr
Old
Thanks Meter 197
This is something i think alot of people would love to do. i would recommend making a better step by step guide to help people out so we dont have a ton of bricked Moto X's if you can get me a text guide with pictures i can create a large single image guide and post it. but i would not attempt this myself without better pictures of everything. IT is just to hard to see.

But great work on getting it to work. i am deff interested.
Sprint Moto X TWRP 4.4 Self Detoxed
Profiles:Twitter
Guides:MotoX Guides |
The Following User Says Thank You to dray_jr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aviwdoowks
Old
Thanks Meter 413
I have seen other foamed/heatsink material where it was for one time use only. Once you place & compress a 2nd time it will not conduct as well. I could be off track here as pertaining to our x. Nevertheless I wanted to state my concern
Moto X, Razr M & msm8960 STUFF

-----------------------------
----------------------------------
My xt907 Noob & Goodies links

My Moto X / Ultra links

Using TapaTalk or Xda app: You Blind!, Get a Real Browser!

Android File Transfer SUCKS! Is there a no root solution for Osx? I am resorting to Parallels DeskTop-W7.

byt3b0mb
Old
Thanks Meter 36
great job on finding this - been hoping someone would accomplish this on the moto x. i would love to see more close up pics of the points to connect the wires since it requires connecting directly to the board.

once i can see more clearly where to connect + and - i will give this a try.

byt3b0mb
Old
Thanks Meter 36
using this pic from ifixit i can see approximately where you soldered the +5v wire, but it would be great to know exactly where it should be connected..

http://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net...XTnHF5wr3VGHfq

Steve-x
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 167
Here is the positive connection point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	positive.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	2700170  
Deep in the Heart of the State of the Art with my Moto X.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve-x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

byt3b0mb
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-x View Post
Here is the positive connection point.
Thanks! going to see if i can get a hold of a second moto x to try this on so i dont mess up and end up without a phone.

aufbau8
Old
(Last edited by aufbau8; 29th April 2014 at 06:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
This looks pretty simple actually. It looks like the hardest part will just be taking the phone apart to get access to the back of the mainboard and then putting it back together. You didn't even have to remove any shielding! Pretty much the only part that isn't reversible is melting the adhesive to get the back cover off right?

What's the model of the charging pad that you used? I'd like to try this myself.

edit: looked at some charging pads on Amazon and it looked like the pads made for the S3 are 500mA while pads for the S5 are 1000mA. it looks like you were using the S5 pads. Have you tested what the maximum current from the charging pads are?

ohiomoto
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Awesome! I haven't been on here recently, but this is something I really wanted to do. I already have the charging coil and magnets intalled in my back cover but haven't gotten around to finding the connection points. Looks like I've got a project for the weekend.

If anyone is interested, here is a thread I made for modding the Galaxy Nexus to work with Palm Touchstone: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...-phone-25.html